New Bike?

Started by apchasse, July 12, 2004, 03:38:25 PM

apchasse

Looking at getting a track bike. The $3000 range is what I am in. My question is...should I go with an older honda (f2-f3) or sv? Any other suggestions? Thanks

cornercamping

99-00 R6
F2
F3
Older ZX6

I'd prefer the R6

Dawn

What's your experience?

Nothing beats learning how to ride on a LW bike.

Go with an SV....

Older ZX-6's are a heavy pigs (I know, I have one)

Dawn  

Protein Filled

One thing to consider, you will use up less tires on the SV than on any 600, and the fun factor is still very high. Much less likely to highside you as well and if you do decide to race it, it's still very competitive.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

boo181

go with the sv. if i were to do it over, i'd start with the sv. i started with a gsxr. sv much nicer on the pocket ;D

apchasse

I have a 99 zx-6r, but want to keep that on the street. I am looking into the sv...

calvin669

I know someone with a fully prepped F2 for 2000$..

Super Dave

I'd drop extra cash on a good SV...

You're not gonna eat up the tires.  

F2 is good, but it should eat up tires, if you're riding it correctly.

Not as many people with them in the pits with spare parts.

R6...good 600.

Kaw?  Well, the rotors warp, the transmissions can be soft...and their contingency pretty much blew, so, there aren't many of them around for spare parts in the pits again.

SV.
Super Dave

Jeff

Amen... SV, Hawk, etc.  Anything but an inline 4 600 to start on...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

If you just want a track bike, and not a race bike, I've got an FZR400 for sale. Drop me an email if you're interested. It's a great bike to learn cornering.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Mark Bernard

Can you guess what I am about to say.....?  ::)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           B U E L L...  ;D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Burt Munro

QuoteCan you guess what I am about to say.....?  ::)        

B U E L L...  ;D

And if he's only riding it for track days he won't have to worry 'bout no stinkin' bellypan!!                                                                                        
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

cornercamping

Nope, he'll just have to worry about leaking oil, running like crap, and all the joys of owning a Harley  ::)

;D :P

Chuck

Mules are hard on the grass, and have goofy looking ears.  Oh...where talking about a buell!  ;)

Dawn

Aawwww...  Come on now.....  Mark has a nice looking, and reliable Buell.   < oooo how I wanted to say something else, but I promised myself I wouldn't go there >

But seriously, Mark's bike is one of the better looking ones out there.

Dawn   ;)

calvin669

Too bad good looking, doesn't always get the job done..
unless you're me of course :D  8)

cornercamping

QuoteToo bad good looking, doesn't always get the job done..
unless you're me of course :D Ê8)

Anyone seen my shovel  ::)

homo

;D

Mark Bernard

Thanks Dawn! Glad someone had faith in my bike! Never leaks... always reliable... (except for the bellypan sometimes)... runs great... decent power... Now... if I can just learn to ride the thing!  ::)
And to Wannabe, Cornercamping and Chuck... hey! Where is the Rasberry smiley? : )~ <-----made my own! So there!  ;D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

Chuck

Im not a big Buell fan, but I was  just busting your balls.   ;)~ back atcha!

Mark Bernard

QuoteIm not a big Buell fan, but I was  just busting your balls.   ;)~ back atcha!
Not many Buell fans out there period! lol Please note... I never take offence in someone taking shots at me, Just ask Oompa Loompa boy about that!  ;) It's all in good fun. Heck... I sometimes take shots at myself from time to time!! You cant own a Buell and not have a sense of humor!  ;D 8) Dont forget about our cookout on Sunday! Everyone is invited to partake in the eats and such! Gonna be a great time this weekend! WOOOO HOOOO! Karl flippin burgers is gonna be a Kodak moment for sure!  ;)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

Chuck

If the offer is for everyone I'll come over for a meet, greet, and eat.  I think you may have been pitted across from us at MAM so I think I know what your pit area looks like.  Or I can just look for the only Buell in the paddock.  :-X

Mark Bernard

Yes... I believe we were pitted across from you at MAM. We will have the big trailer with us tho. Not the orange low boy. We will be pitted in the feild just as you cross the track on the right. Should be Buell city at our pits. Definatly stop by. Look foward to seeing lots of hungry racers and fans!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

Burt Munro

The 'Raspberry' is definitely in order, Mark!!

I honestly felt your pain and frustration at Topeka with the bellypan (I was the starter at HPT and MAM).  Great to see that you weren't one to publicly blame the track surface, but I'm sure it didn't help matters.

I must also admit that I have become a fan of Buell's (primarily because of seeing some of their potential on the FUSA level.)  I am definitely guilty of doing numerous eBay searches for XB9R's trying to figure out some way to pick one up.

Dawn gave you a justified 'shout out' on the aesthtics of your bike but I have to give my Gold medal to #247 - Paul James.  Guess it's just something about the contrast of the frame against the black that makes it look about as clean as a Buell can look ;D

Not 100% sure on Blackhawk this weekend.  Hoping they still need some Cornerworkers or other workers.   I'll definitely stop by on Sunday if I make it.

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Mark Bernard

Quotebut I have to give my Gold medal to #247 - Paul James.  Guess it's just something about the contrast of the frame against the black that makes it look about as clean as a Buell can look ;D

Funny you shoud mention Pauls bike... We are taking Pauls bike to BHF for him and while it is at the shop, Karl washed it! So it actually is  "about as clean as a Buell can look"...! lol And since when do they have enough corner workers? I didnt think there was such a thing. Hope you can make it!  ;)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

PJ

Thanks Rick, I guess I ended up going for the stealthy black on black look. Now I just need some black wheels...

BTW, I think you did a nice job at Topeka/MAM on the starts.

Mark, thanks to you and Mike and Karl and the whole Kegel Racing crew for hauling my bike out to Blackhawk.

I'm in San Diego right now at the 2005 H-D/Buell dealer show. Catching a red eye to Chicago tonight so I can race with you guys this weekend. I must be crazy. See you at BFR!
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Mark Bernard

Not a problem Paul... see you in the morning! Mark!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

PJ

Just wake me up at 2nd call, will ya?!
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Mark Bernard

QuoteJust wake me up at 2nd call, will ya?!
LOL ... you bet!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard