News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

:)

Started by cornercamping, June 28, 2004, 07:19:31 PM

cornercamping

spyderchick

I was going to make a snide comment about your new avatar until I saw what it actually said.

AMD rocks! ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

cornercamping

QuoteI was going to make a snide comment about your new avatar until I saw what it actually said.

AMD rocks! ;) ;D

::)

I couldn't tell ya.  Apple Dual G5 user here  8)

;) ;D

Post your comment anyways, that way I can steal it for later use.  ;D

Super Dave

G5...wow!

G3 is pretty cool if you can't afford a G4 let alone a G5...
Super Dave

spyderchick

Ah...an Apple guy. That's cool, but i like to build my own systems and you can't do that with Apple.

Next system will be a 64bit proccessor w/ dual hard drives so I can learn linux, run windows for business apps.  

And y'all thought motorcycles were my hobby...
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cornercamping

QuoteG5...wow!

G3 is pretty cool if you can't afford a G4 let alone a G5...

One word: WORK

cornercamping

QuoteAh...an Apple guy. That's cool, but i like to build my own systems and you can't do that with Apple.

Next system will be a 64bit proccessor w/ dual hard drives so I can learn linux, run windows for business apps. Ê

And y'all thought motorcycles were my hobby...

Dual 2.5 G5
4GB RRAM
2 x 250 HD
Gigabit Ethernet
23 in. Display

Lease: $137 mon.
Tax writeoff: PRICELESS

;D

spyderchick

QuoteLease: $137 mon.
Tax writeoff: PRICELESS

;D
What, you don't think I write off my 'puter to taxes!  :o You bet your Betsy Ross I do. ;D Otherwise, Uncle Sam would eat my profits. AND I get to have the fun of fooling around with high tech gear. No Customer Service headaches here. I know if my platform is stable, cuz I built it and tested it!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cornercamping

QuoteWhat, you don't think I write off my 'puter to taxes! Ê:o You bet your Betsy Ross I do. ;D Otherwise, Uncle Sam would eat my profits. AND I get to have the fun of fooling around with high tech gear. No Customer Service headaches here. I know if my platform is stable, cuz I built it and tested it!

That's why we all get new equipment ever year  ;)   What are ya runnin?

spyderchick

Right now I've got 2 year old equipment. I usually run stuff for around 3 years. By the time processor speeds double, I'm usually due for new.

2400 AMD processor
512 RAM
ASUS mother board
NvIdia GeForce4 graphics card.
Soundblaster card
Nice LianLi case, no mods  :(

I like the case, so I might mod it and keep it along with the power supply. Depends on who might get this box.

I don't do any graphics intensive gaming, so I don't go all out on top of the line stuff, just upper mid-range proven cards and chipsets.
I'm going to get spendy on the monitor this time. A nice sleek flat screen seems just the ticket.  ;) :D ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

I might add that while I might be due to upgrade, there're no 64bit apps right now anyhow, so it will be worth the wait to upgrade later so prices can stabilize. That and Longhorn has been pushed back. Oh Well...Life is hard and then you... :o
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cornercamping

Bah.. windows sucks.  You could have a 100 million teraflop processor, and Windows will still use 55 % of it, and still crash  ;D  That's why I switched to Apple in the first place.  Plus, with Apple, you really don't have to worry about your computer getting cooties off the internet.   We have several Windows workstations, but they don't get connected to the internet because of the HIV floating around. They're mostly just for AutoCAD and PCAD.   As far as me, once I first got on an Apple, I fell in love with it, and I'll never switch to Windows again.  I like actually being able to use my computer without having to download a security update every day.  ;) Plus, graphics are amazing.  256 MB card, using DVI.  ;D

cornercamping

QuoteI might add that while I might be due to upgrade, there're no 64bit apps right now anyhow,  

There are for Apple.

DVD PRO
Final Cut 4
AppleWorks
Garage Band
iLife
iDVD
iChat AV

I can keep going... :)

Quick hint, incase you ever decided to buy a G5.  If you buy the base model high end version (most expenisve starting cost before you prebuild), you actually get more than if you buy the model underneath it fully loaded.  Apple Pre-Loads DVD Pro, Final Cut 4, and Motion ($2K total cost) right off the bat if you get the best one they sell, and don't really charge you much for the software, but by the time you build the model under the flag ship, your gonna spend more, and not get the software.

spyderchick

It's all about the platform. I have never had Blue Screen of Death on any box I've built. You build right, use good vendors and viola'! runs like a dream.  :D

Apple is now vunerable to viruses and worms as well. It's just none of them have been released into the wild., YET.  :o :(

And yes, Windows sucks, but that's why I want to learn linux. 2 OSs are better than one.  ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cornercamping

and if you get the flagship G5, you can get Macromedia Studio MX 2004 for $99.00 Pre Installed, and Adobe Photoshop CS for $99.00 by mail.

They include it all in the box.  8)

spyderchick

QuoteI can keep going... :)

God! You Apple guys are persistant. Almost like a religion! :o ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cornercamping

QuoteAnd yes, Windows sucks, but that's why I want to learn linux. 2 OSs are better than one. Ê;D

Have you played with OS X yet?  Panther? Jaguar?

cornercamping

QuoteGod! You Apple guys are persistant. Almost like a religion! :o ;) ;D

Cause we ain't gotta hit  CRTL + ALT + DEL once we do get going  ;)

;D :P

spyderchick

I can just see you going door to door in your nice suit and tie.

Ma'am, can I talk to you about your computer?, Why yes, let's bow our heads and read from the manual...
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cornercamping

QuoteI can just see you going door to door in your nice suit and tie.

Ma'am, can I talk to you about your computer?, Why yes, let's bow our heads and read from the manual...
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

8) ;D

MadXX

Why not just run BSD and lose the overhead of the apple GUI?  ;D

Alexa, a buddy of mine just built the 64 bit system you are talking about and it is smokin even without the 64 bit OS.   Besides the fact that there is a 64-bit build of windows XP. (I have it in my msdn)  see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

cornercamping

QuoteWhy not just run BSD and lose the overhead of the apple GUI? Ê;D

Alexa, a buddy of mine just built the 64 bit system you are talking about and it is smokin even without the 64 bit OS. Ê Besides the fact that there is a 64-bit build of windows XP. (I have it in my msdn) Êsee http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

Regardless, I'd like to see a Windows machine come close to the performace of the dual 2.5GHz G5 machines. Windows sucks. OS X or Linux  ;D

cornercamping

MadXX

photoshop benchmark is great for 'artists'  now how about the rest of us?  :-X

I could probably find a benchmark out there that says my 8086 could whip your apples butt.  ;D

Any other benchmarks of software used by the masses or software not totally optimized from the ground up for the risc architecture? (adobe)

I just remember the doorstop of a I-Mac I bought for testing websites.  Gawd that thing was slow and rather useless.  It totally turned me off of mc-anything.

They do look pretty though.

cornercamping

Quotephotoshop benchmark is great for 'artists' Ênow how about the rest of us? Ê:-X

I could probably find a benchmark out there that says my 8086 could whip your apples butt. Ê;D

Any other benchmarks of software used by the masses or software not totally optimized from the ground up for the risc architecture? (adobe)

I just remember the doorstop of a I-Mac I bought for testing websites. ÊGawd that thing was slow and rather useless. ÊIt totally turned me off of mc-anything.

They do look pretty though.

The new iMac (like they sell now) or the old ones  ???  I know your not talking about the new ones  :o  Before my new G5, I had a 20" iMac, and it blew the doors off any Windows machines I have ever had.  The only thing that runs better on a PC than a Mac, is Virtual PC.   Why?  Because Microcrap decided that for Apple customers, VPC would emulate a PII processor.  They did that so it would be slow.  PII 386 MHz to be exact.  Yeah right.  I sent Microcrap back the VPC box, and discs, with a nice letter.  2 weeks later, I got a refund check.  The new VPC 6.1 emulates a PIII 900 MHz now.  ::)

Micorsoft = CRAP !

LOL... I know someone that works for Microsoft.  He has a 15" Apple Powerbook for his home computer.  Nuff said  ;)

spyderchick

Actually, it's not the size of the tool but how you use it.  :o ;D

My current computer used to blow sky high benchmarks for office type apps, but it was only so-so for gaming. But you know what? I don't do any top flight gaming, so I don't need the power and it's just a waste.

You don't use a sledge hammer to pound in a finishing nail.

Apple makes a great product, but most people use windows based apps, so it's a windows machine they want. When I first got into computing, Apple products were pricey, scarce, or non-existant.

I don't like Microsoft either, and prefer open source software for many of my apps. However, Microsoft is so prolific that if I were to move over to Apple now, it would mean that I would have to learn all the file systems all over again, and even if that's easy, I know that some stuff cannot run in both OSs. That all takes time, and it's time that I don't have right now. If I did have the time, I'd spend it learning Linux and Flash as well as how to best utilize Dreamweaver for my website.

It's cool you love your Apple, and it's cool you can afford such fun toys, but that's not what everyone wants or needs.

BTW, the reason I don't like Intel is because they're slower than AMD, and pricier as well, but considering all the changing architecture, that could change, in which case, I'll buy the best product at the best price that best fits my needs.    
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cornercamping

I definetly here ya.  Although, more and more programs are starting to become available for Apple.   The biggest benefit to having an Apple, is that it's really simplistic.  It's also Unix based, and you can run open source programs. Other than that, their mostly all the same.  Apple computers are definetly over priced, and they are a specialized item.  Most Apple users are involved with multimedia some how or another.  I like it because I don't ever have to mess with it.  I haven't shut off my computer in 4 months.  Funny thing was, that in 4 months, even when I pulled it out of the box, only had to update it twice, and those were feature updates, not critical updates, like Microsoft loves publishing.  I remember my last Windows PC.  HP Laptop, all the bells, and the day I pulled it out of the box, is the day I wasted doing update after update.  Time wasted is money lost  ;)  It all comes down to how much $ you can make with your time.  If you need Apple, get it.  If not, a simple home PC will work.  For me, I don't care.  They can get me a real supercomputer, but I'm not paying for it.  They can buy me a Petronas FP1 too if they need the write off  :P

cornercamping

Example of Apple's "Ergonomics":

You want find:                    You use                   I use

Spelling of a word:         dictionary.com          sherlock
Movies:                       moviefone.com         sherlock
Flight Times:               airline website           sherlock
Oil cooler for bike:        ebay.com                 sherlock
A phone number:          whitepages.com         sherlock
Languarge Translation:         ?                      sherlock
Stock Prices:                  nasdaq.com            sherlock
Pictures:                      google.com              sherlock

See what I'm getting at.  Sherlock is a program in OS X.  It connects to the same web services, but I don't have to enter a website, or search for it. It does all the work for me, but it's NOT a browser. It's a program.  It searches the same sites, but without all the crap.  No pop ups, ect.  I don't even have to know the sites address.  It'll find it for me.  For instance, let's take the ebay thing.  You go to ebay's website, and enter the search term. I just open Sherlock, and enter the search term.  Brings up all the same information ,but it's not ebay's web page. It's in Sherlock.  Then, I can even place a bid, and it does everything for me.  I see the same thing, but without all the crap.  Then, it does bid sniping too.
That's how all of OS X is.  Very efficient and productive.  Same goes for things like iTunes.  It integrates so seemlessly with an iPOD that it's sick.  I've found myself buying nothing but Apple made products, because the all work so well with each other.  No need to look for drivers, install this and that.  Hell, with OS X, if you want to unistall a program, you just drag it to the trash.  That's it.  Unistall complete. Next time you get the chance, play around a little with a machine running OS X.  You may end up switching on the site.

P.S.  I have Macromedia Studio MX 2004 for both Windows and Mac.  Volume licenses from work.  I've used both versions. Still working on the site, but the Mac version is easier to use, believe it or not.  Try it sometime.  You'll see what I mean.  Same goes for Adobe stuff.

Zac

The last time I had a MAC it was running OS 3.1 or something like that, back when the OS fit on a floppy with the aplications you were running...

As for benchmarking, I have a PIII 2.4 GHz PC and an old HP Visualize C3000 Unix box sitting on my desk here at work.  Both boxes have 2GB of RAM.  I run Pro/ENGINEER on both.  The PC is generally faster, except when dealing with very large models that sap memory, where the workstation will kill the PC.  

Now if we could only run Pro/E on a MAC we could see how it stacks up...Hence why I don't run a MAC.  Not many of the programs I use are even available for the MAC

-z.

cornercamping

QuoteThe last time I had a MAC it was running OS 3.1 or something like that, back when the OS fit on a floppy with the aplications you were running...

As for benchmarking, I have a PIII 2.4 GHz PC and an old HP Visualize C3000 Unix box sitting on my desk here at work. ÊBoth boxes have 2GB of RAM. ÊI run Pro/ENGINEER on both. ÊThe PC is generally faster, except when dealing with very large models that sap memory, where the workstation will kill the PC. Ê

Now if we could only run Pro/E on a MAC we could see how it stacks up...Hence why I don't run a MAC. ÊNot many of the programs I use are even available for the MAC

-z.

Autodesk is supposed to be releasing a version of AutoCAD LT for Mac this summer some time.   I have PCAD and Mentor, but run them on a WinNT machine.

MadXX

QuoteAs for benchmarking, I have a PIII 2.4 GHz PC and an old HP Visualize C3000 Unix box sitting on my desk here at work.  Both boxes have 2GB of RAM.  I run Pro/ENGINEER on both.  The PC is generally faster, except when dealing with very large models that sap memory, where the workstation will kill the PC.  

-z.

I found the same thing with solidworks and unigraphics running on hp-ux. (used to be the be-all of engineering workstations)  Once the pentium II came out the unix workstations could not keep up.  I just hooked a guy up with a dell workstation for ~2200 bucks and it just smokes anything he has ever used.  They are also much easier to replace in 2 years then the $10k workstations he used to buy.

I still remember spending $45k on a dual pentium pro 200 server with 512 mb of ram.  Hardware has gotten so cheap it that no matter what brand you like, its likely faster than you'll ever need.

cornercamping

All the E.E. workstations at work are Dell, but they spend alot on the.  We run PCAD, and it seems the 3 GB of RAM and dual Xenon's aren't enough.  Really slow exporting .dwg's to .pcb files.  ???  I'll stick with Apple. ;D

Super_KC124

cornercamping

QuoteNerds! ;D

Yup  ;D

spyderchick

QuoteNerds! ;D
I'm a geek, not a nerd. Geeks are cuter.  :o ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org