Formula 40 and Slicks

Started by tug296, June 19, 2004, 09:49:07 AM

tug296

Question about Formula 40 class.
I race a 99 VTR1000 in Super Twins and Formula 40, I want to run slicks. I thought after reading in the rule book, that F. 40 is a Supersport class, in section 6, para. G. states: Tires must be DOT approved.
I have been told that I can run slicks by a fellow racer, is this the case? As Section 6.8.2 states that All F. 40 machines must meet the requirments of Heavyweight Supersport.

I ask because I see slicks out there on the grid in  F. 40.
If anyone knows the facts, I'd appreciate some input.

H. #296  am  Fla.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

xseal

I think you can run slicks it its a 250 GP bike. If you're running a HW, you need to run DOTs.

tug296

Thanks for the input!

H. #296  
Florida Region,  

Jkf95

I believe slicks have been run illegally in the past.  However the last VIR race in April they teched the top three bikes after the race - even in F40.

Eric Kelcher

250 GP is an anomolyy and is not legal in F40 (or F40 lt) per the rulebook this year.

F40 no slicks allowed

F40 lt allows slicks
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

xseal

They definitely post-tech. At both races I attended this year, they post-teched the top 3 finishers and they check the bikes for DOT tires, as well as airboxes, etc.

dsb

So...  it _is_ legal to run an Aprilia RS 250 in F40 Light with slicks?

TZ_Boy

Quote250 GP is an anomolyy and is not legal in F40 (or F40 lt) per the rulebook this year.

F40 no slicks allowed

F40 lt allows slicks

Eric the rule book that Iam looking at say's that all bike's legal for Lightweight GP are legal for Lightweight F40.  This would include 250 GP machinery.  

Protein Filled

It's legal to run slicks (and TZ 250's) in "Lightweight Formula 40". It's NOT legal to run either in "Formula 40" since they have to stick to supersport rules. As you can see, these are 2 different classes.

So the answer to the original question is that no, you can't run slicks on a VTR1000 in Formula 40.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

lil_thorny

tug296

I reckon Michelin DOT's will coninue to do nicely.

Thanks.

H. #296
Florida Region,  

Super Dave

Super Dave