My diesel economy

Started by Jeff, June 18, 2004, 06:59:34 AM

Jeff

So I've been keeping track of all my fuel receipts since buying my 93 GM 1ton diesel van back in March, and did a little analysis this morning.  This thing isn't bad!

Max fuel price: $1.799/gal - 5/24/04 Pewaukee, WI
Min fuel price: $1.519/gal - 6/13/04 Gary, IN (funny how this MIN beat the March fuel prices in WI!)

Max MPG 20.37 - 90% highway no towing
Min MPG 12.36 - includes 4 hours stop/go in Chicago while towing my trailer
Average towing MPG - 14.25

Now, the van is WEAK.  It won't tow above 65, and hills can find me as low as 50mph (towing), but it starts every time I turn the key and with mileage like this, I think I've done well...  This beats the HELL out of the 7-9mpg I get towing this trailer with my gas van...

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

OmniGLH

Your mileage numbers seem to reflect mine exactly.  The only difference is that I can maintain 70mph while pulling our trailer uphill, through the mountains/hills in WV and PA, without downshifting out of OD  ;D

You need a turbo.  I think Banks makes a few kits for the old GM 6.5s...
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

lbk

That is odd, why the low speed for towing? That isn't a turbo diesel? I'm curious because we are thinking of getting a Diesel van, but definitely need to be able to go faster than 50.

Nice setup by the way.

Jeff

The van is a non-turbo 6.2L.  It makes like a paltry 190hp.

I don't believe anybody makes anything for the 6.2l GM.  6.5 maybe, but not the 6.2...  I looked into propane boost and kicked that around, but the wife said hell no.  

I don't think I'm up for dumping another $2500 into the van anyhow for a turbo.  I'll just wait it out until I can buy something else in the upcoming years.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd look for a ford PSD 1 ton van.  Turbo diesel and a 1 ton are the only way to go.  If you get a diesel van, I'd personally only look at the Fords and make sure it has the Powerstroke turbo diesel.

I can tow higher than 50, it's just that a steep hill will get me down that low.  65 is about it though.  I've seen 70 before while passing, but 65 is more realistic.  Plus, in that van, anything over 68mph KILLS the fuel economy.

And Omni, with my $4k invested versus your ~$40k, our end cost/mile is still a little different  ;D
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

lbk

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the F-350SD Turbo Diesel is exactly what we are considering. But after just doing some payment calculations that will definitely have to wait. Of course my wife does want one pretty bad, just not sure if she wants it bad enough to put off her new car for another two years. :D

Super Dave

Ah, I see the problem from looking at the pictures...

The dry weight of Honda's seem to be more than the other brands...

;D

I'd like to do LP injection myself with my bus/van.  But it takes some $$...

Regardless, it's paying off with diesel.  Just takes a bit more patience.
Super Dave

OmniGLH

QuoteAnd Omni, with my $4k invested versus your ~$40k, our end cost/mile is still a little different  ;D

Touche!  :)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Jeff

QuoteAh, I see the problem from looking at the pictures...

The dry weight of Honda's seem to be more than the other brands...

But I'm not laden with spare motors and parts such as with other manufacturers!  8)

QuoteI'd like to do LP injection myself with my bus/van.  But it takes some $$...

You can cobble something together for around $100.  It doesn't look that difficult and there are many sites with clear & concise instructions.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

QuoteBut I'm not laden with spare motors and parts such as with other manufacturers!  8)

Careful, you had problems with you Honda before.  I don't think many Japanese bikes have any huge reliablity issues.  

QuoteYou can cobble something together for around $100.  It doesn't look that difficult and there are many sites with clear & concise instructions.

I agree.  I'd want something a bit more cleaner for a set up.  If you can do it for $100, you should.  LP will clean out the motor too.  I don't think there is much of a draw back.  Once you run out...you're back to normal.
Super Dave

Jeff

QuoteCareful, you had problems with you Honda before.  I don't think many Japanese bikes have any huge reliablity issues.  

LOL... yeah, but that was by my own doing.  Motors can't run when the oil sump strainer is clogged with honda-bond.  It would still be around had I taken my time or perhaps packed up instead of replacing 2nd gear in the back of the trailer at 2am at Road A. :)  

QuoteI agree.  I'd want something a bit more cleaner for a set up.  If you can do it for $100, you should.  LP will clean out the motor too.  I don't think there is much of a draw back.  Once you run out...you're back to normal.

It's that whole "wife factor".  She sees LPG fumigation as a quick means to a rolling fireball.  While I don't really see it that way, God loves her more and would ignite me just to prove a point.  (He does this all the time)...

What I do need though is a new set of glo-plugs.  They're staying on WAAAAAAY longer than they should, and I would probably benefit significantly from an injector pump rebuild.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

OmniGLH

Mileage update after my Topeka trip:  13.6mpg  :D

This is with my new chip set on level-2 (Edge Juice) pulling a full trailer (4 race bikes, 2 pit bikes, generator, toolbox, all our gear and spare parts) plus 4 people in the truck itself, maintaining 65mph the whole way.  

This programmer has been good for at LEAST a 1mpg improvement, on top of the extra 50hp and 120 ft-lbs of torque.  On my trip out to Summit, BEFORE the chip, with just 1 bike in the trailer, and my dad and myself in the truck, I averaged 13.1mpg, also doing 65.  

It was *really* interesting to see how speed affected mileage.  65mph was a consistent 13.5-13.6.  When Garner drove, he did 70-75... and mileage dropped to 12.45.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Jeff

QuoteIt was *really* interesting to see how speed affected mileage.  65mph was a consistent 13.5-13.6.  When Garner drove, he did 70-75... and mileage dropped to 12.45.

I do wish I could get a chip for mine, but it's an old beast, so there's nothing available.

God yes does speed affect mileage.  If I get over 70, the mileage DROPS, like big time...  68 is my "happy cruising" speed, but towing I only do 65.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest