News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Sore

Started by cornercamping, June 17, 2004, 10:45:52 PM

spyderchick

You have delayed onset muscle soreness, also known as DOMS. No over the counter remedy will work, only time. Not massage, although it will feel both painful and pleasurable.  ;)

You have micro tears in your muscle tissue, which repair themselves in the REST phase of working out. Do not work out again until most of the soreness has disappeared. If you do so, this can lead to injury, and it would be the start of overworking the muscles, which means they won't have adequate time to recover, which means that all that work would be for nothing.

Eat a well balanced diet and a decent multi-vitamin, as you are stressing your system. If you over work the body, it can lead to immune deficiencies. This means you are more susceptable to colds and other little nasties. It will also take you longer to heal from injuries.

Rest for the first two weeks of training between gym sessions until you no longer get DOMS regularly, then you should be working out every other day. Every day is ok if you've split the muscle groups. (e.i. back and bis on monday, leg day:tuesday, chest/tris on wednesday, etc...)

Don't forget to stretch and if you can, get at least 30 minutes of cardio every day.

<end of lecture>
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

cornercamping

I think your right on the money Spyder.  I actually worked out all week.  Started on Monday, but all the sorness hit yesterday, and by midnight last night, I couldn't move.  That's what's weird. Started the above routine on Monday, and then boom, it all the sorness hit at once.  Thus, I can't do a damn thing.  My whole body is sore. I was gonna just go and do cardio until the sorness wore off, but I can barely get dressed, so I gotta return back to my past life, and that's sitting behind the computer replying to emails and reviewing blueprints.

MELK-MAN

QuoteYou have delayed onset muscle soreness, also known as DOMS. No over the counter remedy will work, only time. Not massage, although it will feel both painful and pleasurable.  ;)

You have micro tears in your muscle tissue, which repair themselves in the REST phase of working out. Do not work out again until most of the soreness has disappeared. If you do so, this can lead to injury, and it would be the start of overworking the muscles, which means they won't have adequate time to recover, which means that all that work would be for nothing.

Eat a well balanced diet and a decent multi-vitamin, as you are stressing your system. If you over work the body, it can lead to immune deficiencies. This means you are more susceptable to colds and other little nasties. It will also take you longer to heal from injuries.

Rest for the first two weeks of training between gym sessions until you no longer get DOMS regularly, then you should be working out every other day. Every day is ok if you've split the muscle groups. (e.i. back and bis on monday, leg day:tuesday, chest/tris on wednesday, etc...)

Don't forget to stretch and if you can, get at least 30 minutes of cardio every day.

<end of lecture>

here ya go.. you CANT just jump into working out full bore like you did years ago. Listen to your body and work up to a full workout.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

cornercamping

My goal, by the way, is to gain muscle mass.  I'd like to weigh around 170, all muscle.  Now I weigh 154, and I have a little fat, but not alot. I'm well within the range I should be in for my weight and age.  Actually, I'm kind of low, but not below the suggested requirements.  In hopes of reaching my goal, I"m making sure I get 1 gram of protien per lb. so I take in approx. 150 grams of protien a day, 80 % of it from food, 10% from supplements, and I'm taking:

Creatine
Glutamine (right after workout)
ZMA (before going to bed)

I'm also doing lots of cardio (1 hour each cardio day) so I can get my 6 pack back.  Had one, until college, where I met Mr. Jose Curevo and Mr. Budweiser  ;D

spyderchick

I always give myself 2 full weeks to work into a new workout, especially when I haven't been to the gym in awhile.

I also recommend that my clients "eat clean" for at least a week if not 2 before they begin a serious workout regimin.

Eating clean involves limiting sugar and alcohol, no fast food, and that includes chain restaurants. Trying to eliminate as much processed food as possible, and eating a balance of good protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies, and using olive oil or another heart healthy oil in their cooking.

You are an athlete, act like one and the performance will increase with your involvement in your health.

I'm feeling rather professorish this morning. ::)  ;)

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

Corner, just eat balanced meals 5-6 times a day. Don';t beleive what you read in those muscle mags, it's mostly supplement advertising. Creatine is ok, but you have to cycle it and you haven't been into a routine long enough to warrant it's use. Glutamine should be in enough supply if you are eating clean, watch out for eating too much protein. carbs are the bodies basic fuel source, and additional protein only stresses the bodies organs, like you liver and pancreas. If you're not sure, hire a nutritionist for a session ans a personal trainer for a few sessions. They will get you on the right track.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cornercamping

Does low carb beer count  ;D  

It's hard to do the change over, especially on the nutrition side.  I have a very high metabolism, so junk food has never fazed me.  I wore a 27 waist in highschool, and now I wear a 30/32, and that's on a healty diet of Cheez-It's, Bud-light, and McDonald's.  I don't really mind though.  I like chicken, so lately I replaced McDonald's with chicken breast on the BBQ. I can't cook, so I BBQ instead.
Another bad thing, is I'm a smoker.  I've slowed that down, but I highly doubt I can quit.  I've tried, but I have a low tolerance for stupidty (ironically enough) and I deal with moron's all day.  I think that I need to find something to replace my smoking habit, that will keep my tolerance levels regarding stupidty and aggrevation in check.  Just don't know what.   ??? I get stressed out very easily. Especially during business hours.

cornercamping

Oh yeah, I take a Men's Multi-Vitamin (GNC Brand) but that stuff's iffy.  It makes your pee flourescent yellow, so I'm assuming that it's just a waste because I'm just getting rid of it.

spyderchick

Ask yourself one simple question: How much do I value the quality of my life? Your lifestyle will reflect the answer.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

VPFL

QuoteCorner, just eat balanced meals 5-6 times a day. Don';t beleive what you read in those muscle mags, it's mostly supplement advertising. Creatine is ok, but you have to cycle it and you haven't been into a routine long enough to warrant it's use. Glutamine should be in enough supply if you are eating clean, watch out for eating too much protein. carbs are the bodies basic fuel source, and additional protein only stresses the bodies organs, like you liver and pancreas. If you're not sure, hire a nutritionist for a session ans a personal trainer for a few sessions. They will get you on the right track.

Amen!

By the way, be careful with the creatine and a high protein diet. Creatine doesn't desolve all the way- I know this 1st hand. A few years back, I decided I would try the 'EAS' program. 8 months later I ended up with a kidney stone. The doctor told me he had seen an increase in stones from people doing creatine (or creatine based products) and high protein. I cant stress 'cycling creatine' enough.

Jeff

Instead of working out, I just decided to deal with the pain...

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

cornercamping

QuoteInstead of working out, I just decided to deal with the pain...

LOL.. ever seen those Oriental Spa's off the e-way  ;D  

Twenty Dolla Sucky Sucky
Fifty Dolla Me Love U Long Time

;D :P :-X