Supersport HP and weight limits

Started by rmahr137, September 29, 2002, 08:02:36 PM

rmahr137

Just posing a question, what does everyone think about horsepower and weight limits in supersport.  I race in LWSS, and was thinking maybe something like 72 hp, and 340 lbs.  This will keep the racing close and hopefully costs down.

Thanks,

Rod

sportbikepete

Costs down for who? More personel and a dyno at events means higher costs which means higher entrance fees. I see all the problems NRRS has with it and hope it does not make it to CCS. Something as simple as barometric pressure change can make a bike exceed it's HP allowance. Just my worhtless thought. Then you have the guys that race say MW & HW and some times those races do not alloow much time between for dyno testing for HP.

rmahr137

the dyno wouldn't have to be at every race, just the fact that it could show up every now and then.  The dyno is there for the NRRS/CCS weekends, also.  You would only have to dyno the top three anyway, most of the time they already go to tech for a look-over.  You could enforce the weight at every round, or once again just knowing that your bike might get weighed should keep people halfway honest.

sportbikepete

I understand, but let me give you a nightmare from Pocono. Guys jet/mpa their bikes in the morning and dyno the bike and they are within limits, foggy conditions. Major atmospheric changes by end of race and now guys are up over the hp limits. It got ugly.

rmahr137

If you are jetting for conditions like that, than you have to expect that conditions can change, and so will your jetting.  On a normal weekend, I don't see people changing their jetting all that often.  I understand what you are saying, but how often will that happen.  Even if it does, it still would keep the bikes somewhat close to each other in power, where now it is just what is written in the rule book.

crashing333

QuoteJust posing a question, what does everyone think about horsepower and weight limits in supersport.  I race in LWSS, and was thinking maybe something like 72 hp, and 340 lbs.  This will keep the racing close and hopefully costs down.

Um, an rs250 only weights 320lbs, and will never make 72hp (well, I don't think a big bore engine would be SS legal)... maybe those limits make sense for an SV, but it's LW supersport, not sv supersport

Super Dave

Hey, Rod...

I was just making a proposal for weight limits in Supersport.  

Apparently, there will be scales available at CCS events in 2003 with the possible addition of "Sportbike" (as per the NRRS setup) at regional events.  So, the scales would be available.  That should be easy enough for the head tech inspector to use.

By mandating weight limits, exotic materials that could be legal under the current rules would be only an additional expense that a person wishes to do themselves.  Then, they might have to re balast the bike to make weight.

The scale would have to have a sliding scale for bikes that are known to be underpowered.  This could help older bikes be competitive for longer periods.  Allow an older FZR to weigh less than an SV?  Yes, it wouldn't help a whole bunch, but it might allow someone to get some more time and developement out of a bike.

Dyno stuff would be pretty complicated.  Error, manpower, etc.  Most are following the rules, maybe some grey area.  If there is an issue, tear them down.
Super Dave

rmahr137

Dave,

What you said makes a lot of sense to me.  I have no problems with different weights for different bikes, to keep all the bikes in the competive area and racing as long as they can.  

If the scales are at the race, might as well use them!  It would just be an extra minute at tech.

I agree that HP is more complicated, i would just be happy with weight limits.

Super Dave

Tell Kevin Elliott what you think.

The thought has came across to him, and it seems logical.
Super Dave

rmahr137

bump

here you go Mike,
I found it for you