What’s the average practice pace for you?

Started by RickyRacer, January 05, 2002, 04:16:48 PM

RickyRacer

During practice it seems to me that quite a few riders run a fairly slow pace.  Is this normal?
I also run a slow pace in the first few laps of my first practice session, but that's it.  For me, if I don't run at least 80% and above, I just can't get my timing right.  

This is just an observation and I'm not trying to imply anything negative by it.  But if one does not run a good pace during practice, then how can they expect to run even faster during a race?

So what is the advantage of running a slower practice pace? What I am I missing?
 ???
"HEY!, quit being a hog and pass the racepipe"
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

JamesC459

That seems to be a very good question.I know that I am 3-4 seconds off in the first session of the weekend.After that,I am usually 1 sec. off of my race times.I feel that you really need to try to be quick in practice to be mentally prepared for the race.If you are more than 5 secs.off your race time,your aren't really learning anything and I don't think that you are really preparing to race.I mean,trying to depend on "THE ADRENALINE RUSH" to go fast is pretty stupid,and kind of unsafe because riding that way causes you to be too tense and near the edge of your abilities.Just my opinion,of course.YMMV JamesC :-/  

Papa_Thiam

In my case, I think it's a motivation/concentration problem. I routinely run 4 or more seconds off the pace on Saturday. On Sunday, I may close the gap to 2 seconds, but I never approach my race times for some reason.

MudDawg

I'm usually about 2 seconds slower in practice than I am in a race.  I just don't hag it out in practice....I leave that fer hunting wabbit.

8)

corien

i seem to be incapable of matching my race times while practicing. i am always off by exactly 2 seconds. doesn't matter what track i am on.
personally i think it is the extra adrenaline that i experience while racing that isn't present during practice that makes me find the extra 2 seconds.
also, sometimes i concentrate on working on one specific element of my riding, or one specific spot of the track, which brings down my practice times.
i used to be really bad when i raced at loudon. the practice would be so incredibly packed and overcrowded that i would be circling the track wishing practice was over. :o
since grids in the midatlantic region are more manageable i have tried to up my practice pace.

corien

Ex_CCS_Racer

On Saturday practice I'm at about 85-90%. Come Sunday morning I'll match my race times traffic permitting.

JAHAWK

I try to practice at my endurance pace and think about certain situations of a races, At the end of the day I'll ride harder on the worn out tires to simulate the later stages of an endurance.

Eric Kelcher

Well I also start at 80-85% pace then seem to hit a wall at about 4-5 seconds off my race pace  it seems to be traffic and being in groups I am not racing with during my races; different lines, different comfort/confidence levels, hp, etc.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

TightSqueeze

One of the reasons I participated in the AMA Pro Thunder events last year was to help me get in the habit of practicing "At Speed".  When you're out there in a practice session that determines your starting position, you get on the gas, you draft, and you corner lika-Hell!

For instance, at Summit, if I practice around 1:20-21, I'm happy, but in qualifying, I ripped off a high 1:19.  Granted that the traffic was dimenished, but I still got under my typical practice time.

It really takes discipline to practice at race speed.  The ability to push yourself, without the competitors being there, and not ending up in the bushes, is definately a skill.  That's what makes the pros, the pros.

JAHAWK

I usually just picture Troy Green ahead of me and that fires me up in practice.:D

scott levine

QuoteI usually just picture Troy Green ahead of me and that fires me up in practice.:D
;D >:( :) ;) :D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'(
what a horrible fate, try a little Rossi pic

ysr612

If I picture Troy behind me it will be less then a lap and I will picture him in front.

Green5

Well I use practice to practice racing..... so I ride as hard as the worn out old race tires will let me. My times are close to race times on 3 race old tires.

PS, I didn't realize so many people fantasized about me while they were practicing!!  :o

Troy Green
CMRA #5

JAHAWK

Hey TG, Going to TWS this weekend? need to get my fantasy lined up. ;D ;D ;D

ysr612

QuotePS, I didn't realize so many people fantasized about me while they were practicing!!  :o

I used to fantasize about Pete Martin ::)  then I realized it was Pete Martin  :o

love to watch Team blond   ;)

Green5

Hey MG,

Yep, I am making plans to be at TWS mid-day Friday.
You will only be able to fantisize about staying in my draft on the banking :)  How does 360 lbs. and 150+ HP sound....... muuuauuuhhhuuuaauuuaaaaahhhh , of course I will probably be slow everywhere else :)

See ya de'r

TG-won

JAHAWK

ysr612  ;D ;D ;DTroy, I am mainly going to get my mean Supertwin dialed in. Take it you snagged that R1. C-ya at 8a. 8)