F2-make it go faster

Started by eroeder288, June 04, 2004, 06:04:42 AM

eroeder288

i heard that if you dissconnect a nozzle from the air filter for an CBR 600 F2 it will increase horse power. I have no idea how to do that so if anyone can help me that would be great

eroeder288

Super Dave

I raced F2's in the AMA in 1992 and 1993.  I don't know what you're talking about.

Still, HP won't get you around the track much faster.  Handling will.  Got to work on the set up.  That's where the speed is;  that will help your lap times.
Super Dave

H-man

Quote... HP won't get you around the track much faster.  Handling will.  Got to work on the set up.  That's where the speed is;  that will help your lap times.

I agree with Super Dave's statement completely.

Having said that, I believe what you are referring is the blocking off of one of the two snorkle intakes at the front of the airbox.  I haven't done this myself, but if I understand those who have done it, it reduces the turbulent air in the box by having the air enter from only one point.  This, in turn, is supposed to make it easier for the carbs to suck in more air.  Hence more hp.  But who knows how much more.

If you try this, remember to re-jet your carbs as they will be running leaner - according to this theory anyway.

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Super Dave

QuoteHaving said that, I believe what you are referring is the blocking off of one of the two snorkle intakes at the front of the airbox.

Really?

That seems ridiculous.  The engine needs air to work...LOL!  Reduce the air, reduce the power.  
Super Dave

H-man

Yeah, that does seem sort of counter-intuitive.  But air is still getting in through the one, uncovered air snorkel.

While a lot of air is good, air that's turbulent isn't.  A good analogy is water going down a drain.  If the water above the drain is calm, it will flow smoothly into the drain.  However, if the water is bubbling, tossing and turning or otherwise...er... turbulent, yaeh that's the word.  Then the water has a harder time entering the drain.  Some engineers would even argue a smaller volume of water will get into the drain.  Another example is jet engines (as in planes).  While they need to suck in air to operate, they can "flame out" if they get overrun with "too much air" or violently (again that word) turbulent air (say from the jet was of another jet).

This is part of the science the new ram air duct have undergone.  As with so much in life, too much of anything isn't always good.

On another note SD, I was preparing my leathers to send to Alexa when I noticed an arm band :-[  Oops.  I forgot to return this to you when I took the class.  I'll pop it in the mail to you this week.

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Super Dave

LOL, no problem.

In 1992 and 1993, I actively raced a CBR600F2.  My bike, running a simple leaded racing fuel from Power Mist (it would have made more with any oxygenated racing fuel, but that was kind of new at the time), produced 93+ HP on a Dynojet dyno in it's legal supersport trim.  

I can see the logic in the ideas, but the actual function vs what we actually did and produced for power and lap times?  

The motor will suck anything it can get in.  Changing the dynamic might give it more velocity...  

SV650's are good examples of the alternative.  They have an air cleaner.  A K&N air cleaner has a bigger hole.  SV's with the bigger hole air cleaner make more power across the board.  

I know that F2's in superbike trim make more midrange and HP with the floors of the intake ports filled in...but that's at the end user.  

Air cleaner turbulance...

Yamaha made the FZR1000.  They sold those motors to Bimota for their use.  In 1991, Bimota produced the Dieci, basically the Bimota YB10.  The Japanese had finally understood that the air box was a real part of the whole power making process.  

Anyway, the Bimota had huge frame rails.  The combination of the frame rails and the Bimota air box caused the Bimota FZR1000 motor to make less power than the Yamaha FZR1000 motor.  The Bimota still weighed less.

Anyway, I understand.  

But I never saw that as a trick at the AMA Pro level we were racing at.  
Super Dave

H-man

QuoteI can see the logic in the ideas, but the actual function vs what we actually did and produced for power and lap times?  

The motor will suck anything it can get in.  Changing the dynamic might give it more velocity...  

But I never saw that as a trick at the AMA Pro level we were racing at.

Shhhhh... :-X  I've got the germ of an idea to type up this plan, make a couple thousand copies, get a really slick looking ad placed in "Cycle Wolrd" and "Bling Blink Biker" saying something like "MORE horsepower can be yours for less than the cost of a new pipe". ;) ;

Hmmmm... easy money from the squid community ::)  Now to just go get some pseudo science to back up my claims [LOL]

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

spyderchick

QuoteNow to just go get some pseudo science to back up my claims [LOL]

H.

Shouldn't be too difficult. After all psuedo-science has been known to change political policies.  :o ;) ;D Squids are a much easier target. Make sure you let them know it will also make them more macho. ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

H-man

QuoteMake sure you let them know it will also make them more macho. ;) ;D

Yeah, yeah that's it.  That's the ticket!
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)