News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Laptimes Posted On the Web?

Started by smoke, May 24, 2004, 08:41:56 AM

smoke

I only ask because WERA does this now. The company that does the transponders post all time and places. I will look for the site a post it. Would CCS do this?

MadXX

Its at http://mylaps.com and it would be a nice idea.  Dont know how feasable it would be for CCS to use them.

ecumike

Yea, it would be great, but I'm not up for paying to rent or buy the transponder if they have to do that to use the system.

MadXX

I agree about paying extra for the transponders is a bad deal.  If we could get a file export out of the transponder computer system though it would be easy to whip up a web front end for it.

smoke

QuoteI agree about paying extra for the transponders is a bad deal.  If we could get a file export out of the transponder computer system though it would be easy to whip up a web front end for it.

I was thinking the same thing.  

Chuck

I am for posting lap times on the web, but I don't think it will ever happen.  We can't even get results or points posted, much less times posted at the track.  I doubt anyone at CCS will take on the extra work.  Kudos for trying though.

Eddie#200

QuoteI only ask because WERA does this now. The company that does the transponders post all time and places. I will look for the site a post it. Would CCS do this?

Can you rephrase your question?  Ask it more directly...  Do you want your laptimes posted on the web.  Yes or no... ;)

MadXX

It probably wont happen if it would require ccs to do a lot of work.  But what if a group of racers could work with them to get the info and then do the work themselves?

Chuck

um...that's the only way it will happen.  Let's remember we pay them, why should we have to do the work?  I'd like to see CCS do some things above and beyond the call of duty to make us happier racers.  With out us there is no CCS.  I'm negetive today if you can't already tell.

GregR6

I couldn't tell... ;D

Needless to say, this is my last yr with CCS...
I'd quit now if it wasn't for trying to maintain a Top 3 in my classes for the yr...  :-/

Chuck

You won't be alone.  I've been hearing nothing but gripes about the club this year.  It's too bad cause I really liked the schedule.  
I wish someone from CCS would be interested enough in the sport and thier job to stay up on the forum to get a read on riders opinions so they could make the changes...naw...that'd never work.  :P

ecumike

Well all I gotta say is that I think it's significantly better than last year.

I mean, c'mon guys.. we have free transponders, they post the laptimes at the races, online registration, and points/results are posted way faster than last year.

I mean shlt, if you want your lap times buy a freakin lap timer. Or just take a picture of the postings at the races.

I mean, ya can't make everyone happy all the time.

Just my .02

Chuck

Problem is they DONT post lap times at races, you have to go ask for them at the tower.  When you go to the tower, the act like your bothering them.  Matter of fact I witnessed a staff member get chewed out for helping me when I went up there to look at them.  

Online registration...well I know I'm not the only one who's registration was lost due to doing it on line or faxing it in.  Hell I wasn't even on the grid the weekend at Gateway.  They where calling 1st call and I wasn't even listed on the grid for races I had "pre Registered for a week and a half in advance.  Once they got me written on the grid I was in the last row  :-/  (still hit turn one first  ;))

Free Transponders?  How else would a national club monitor race results?  It shouldn't have ever been our expense for them to keep track of whats going on on the track.

Results and points posted faster than last year?  Does that mean they updated it once every 6 rounds?  I haven't seen a Great Plains update since the 1st round!

As a 1st year Amature a lap timer is second on the list...right behind a second set of wheels.  Hell I could barely afford tire warmers.

ecumike

QuoteProblem is they DONT post lap times at races, you have to go ask for them at the tower.  When you go to the tower, the act like your bothering them.  Matter of fact I witnessed a staff member get chewed out for helping me when I went up there to look at them.  

Online registration...well I know I'm not the only one who's registration was lost due to doing it on line or faxing it in.  Hell I wasn't even on the grid the weekend at Gateway.  They where calling 1st call and I wasn't even listed on the grid for races I had "pre Registered for a week and a half in advance.  Once they got me written on the grid I was in the last row  :-/  (still hit turn one first  ;))

Free Transponders?  How else would a national club monitor race results?  It shouldn't have ever been our expense for them to keep track of whats going on on the track.

Results and points posted faster than last year?  Does that mean they updated it once every 6 rounds?  I haven't seen a Great Plains update since the 1st round!

As a 1st year Amature a lap timer is second on the list...right behind a second set of wheels.  Hell I could barely afford tire warmers.

OK...
Well, in the SE, at least, they post ALL the lap times on the boards (practice and races) in tech shed with the grids and results.

Remember, or maybe not, since you're new, that they don't HAVE to even give us our laps times. These things are for scoring, not giving out personal lap time. You should be happy that we even have these things in the first place.

OK online not working... then fax it in. BTW.. you have to pre-enter at least 2 weeks ahead.. maybe that's why you weren't on the grid.

Have you heard of WERA? If you race WERA you have to rent/purchase the transponders. So be glad you don't have to, instead of bltching about not getting your lap times.

Yea.. last year it would be like 1+ months sometimes before before results and points were updated. It's ALOT better this year. OK so maybe YOUR region is not getting updated.. .have you called CCS? I believe they can give you the info over the phone or in an email if you want. I think this topic has been covered may a times on this board already.

The things that we're getting this year & last year, I feel, are nice extras.
Really.. they don't have to have online reg, they don't have to have transponders to keep score, they don't have to post, or even keep the lap times.. the only thing that matters is who crosses the finish line in what order.

Instead of bltching about all this shlt, let's be a little thankful for all these 'new features' we have.

AND BTW... if it wasn't for CCS.. some of us wouldn't have a plave to race, instead of the other way around. Just be glad you at least have a choice of ORGs to race in.
[/rant]

smoke

QuoteWell all I gotta say is that I think it's significantly better than last year.

I mean, c'mon guys.. we have free transponders, they post the laptimes at the races, online registration, and points/results are posted way faster than last year.

I mean shlt, if you want your lap times buy a freakin lap timer. Or just take a picture of the postings at the races.

I mean, ya can't make everyone happy all the time.

Just my .02

U are right.. over all the grips are way down

Chuck

Then I must just be grumpy today.  >:(

r1owner

QuoteIt probably wont happen if it would require ccs to do a lot of work.  But what if a group of racers could work with them to get the info and then do the work themselves?

LOL, been offered and refused several times for timely posting of race results!  What a joke!

I could write code in less than a day that would allow them to upload race results and laptimes almost immediately!

ecumike

QuoteLOL, been offered and refused several times for timely posting of race results!  What a joke!

I could write code in less than a day that would allow them to upload race results and laptimes almost immediately!

Yup.. that's what I did for the USGPRU 125 & 250 National Championship series site:  www.usgpru.net/results.php

Thingy

QuoteIt probably wont happen if it would require ccs to do a lot of work.  But what if a group of racers could work with them to get the info and then do the work themselves?

That won't happen.  We have had multiple people volunteer to do the work over the last few years to track points, post them, etc.  If I remember correctly, there was some reason why they were not allowed to let non-employees do it.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

tzracer

The web site is run by CCE, not CCS. This year is the first year that they have allowed CCS to directly enter data to the web site (only certain pages, not full access). Before the season Kevin said the updates would be done as quickly as possible, time permitting. With Tiffiney out of the office, I am sure time is at a premium. CCE does not let non-employees work on the web site.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Chuck

God forbid CCE stand by and watch someone do something with out making a profit.  

r1owner

QuoteYup.. that's what I did for the USGPRU 125 & 250 National Championship series site:  www.usgpru.net/results.php

Yeah, but that's php!  YUCK!!!! J/K ;)

r1owner

QuoteThat won't happen.  We have had multiple people volunteer to do the work over the last few years to track points, post them, etc.  If I remember correctly, there was some reason why they were not allowed to let non-employees do it.

OK, how about I write an application to track points and post them to the web.  They pay me 10K (J/K) for the application and run it on their computer.  Then, I'm not tracking and posting the points/laptimes, they are!

Woofentino Pugrossi

Also has anyone ever thought maybe the program they use CANT do web insertion for lap times?
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

ecumike

QuoteYeah, but that's php!  YUCK!!!! J/K ;)
What's wrong with PHP? It's free and good. Don't tell me you like ASuckyP.

Super Dave

Ok, I never seem to be able to vote on these things...

I'd like to have the info on the web.  

One, it would be good for someone to do some research...and it would give some off site spectator appeal.  Hey, I try my children on the AMA website during race weekends.  I can see what's happening, etc.

This IS club racing.  You would expect that anything like this would be done first at the FUSA level.

Racing IS expensive.  Believe me, as expensive as it is now, it will only get more expensive if you keep up with this.  Technology changes, and you've got to have tire warmers.  Nice little on board lap timers are still less expensive and more reliable than any girl friend or buddy on the pit wall...Getting the lap times from CCS...well, what good is that going to do you...if you really were using the times to gauge change...you'd have it on board, ride, make suspension changes, and then you'd see the results first hand on your timer in a couple laps.

Things are bad, but they are better.  They are making efforts to get stuff out quicker.  They are using new software, and there are some little teething problems.  

The alternatives are: start your own series, race someplace else, or stay with CCS and offer some alternatives for change.  Over the course of several years, I've gotten several rules changed.  It can be done.  But nothing is easy.
Super Dave

Mark Bernard

QuoteI had "pre Registered for a week and a half in advance.

That was your problem... Your pre-entry HAS to be in the office 2 weeks before race day. Not a week and a half. Hope this helps a little.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

r1owner

QuoteAlso has anyone ever thought maybe the program they use CANT do web insertion for lap times?

If it can print, then it should be able to provide a flat file.  If not, they can use a cheap tool like CutePDF to create a PDF that can easily be posted to the web.

lil_thorny

QuoteAlso has anyone ever thought maybe the program they use CANT do web insertion for lap times?

Hmn Hmn heh heh heh....

He said "insertion"...  heh heh heh.

CCS854

Smoke
  "An error occured"and my vote couldn't be counted.  FWIW I would like times to be posted...I guess that's NO I don't mind?  The gripes about WERA's system was over the last minute announcement at the beginning of the season that racers were going to be required to buy the units; however, the printouts have been universally applauded for the information supplied.  Mylaps.com doesn't just show your times, it virtually re-constructs the race, showing times for all riders on each lap.  Of course those fantasy lap-time claims are a thing of the past  ;)

Chuck

Might as well get a lap timer at that point if you have to buy the transponder or whatever.

tzracer

You should have a lap timer or a helper with a watch and a pit board.

Having lap times posted on the web is not much of a benefit. I guess it is ok to print out and put in a scrap book, but not much help while you are at the track. On board timers are the best, you get instant feed back on any changes (your bike or your riding) you have made. Stop watch and pit board is next, but with a 1 lap delay. Seeing a list of times after you come off the track would be last. Don't get any feed back until you come off the track.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

smoke

its not just about lap times.  Buying a lap timer is no the issue as most of us have then or just got one.

A few people hit the nail on the head.  If your lap times were posted then the final results would be included.  nice I am still a noooooob I did not know that others had offered to write the code to and host /post the results.  I was going to offer to do the same thing on a site of my own or who evers.  There has got to be a way to work this out as too many people ask the same questions about it and nothing ever gets done about. so we all can keep yaping about, forget about it, or ask for copies of the reace results and do it.

motomadness

If we all owned our transponders, we could streamline this system.  My thought is that now you have a consistent way to organize the data.  Even if we didn't own our own transponders, if we could just get the same transponder everytime, the same organization of the data would be easily facilitated.  I don't this is what happens in the AMA, but they only have four classes, no big deal there.

I think this could be easily done as long as there are enough transponders.

cstem

I saw a few things here I would like to address.  I did not know that some regions are not posting lap times. Here in the SW and PA regions,  lap times are posted when the opportunity arises, that means as they can since it is really not  a prioity- getting the grid sheets out is.  They do get posted by the grids eventually.  If you are asking for them fifteen seconds after you exit the practice session- yes- you will probably get yelled at an in the SW region the nice ladies there will probably pull out your chest hair too.  If your region does not post them at all- mention this to the race director at the riders meeting.  He should be able to get this done barring any shortages of people,paper or toner.

Second, did they stop making stopwatches?  I am sure a few people remember when they had them on wrist watches- even microwaves!  I bet if you went to an antique store you could find one for cheap.  They even had digital ones!  Point is quit being lazy  spoiled brats, spend less you amatuer year (no big trailers, flashy paint etc) and buy a stopwatch.  bribe a freind or fellow racer to take some times for you.  Next thing you all will want is CCS to provide telemetry since you are unsure when you use the brakes!  Seriously, if your region does not post times at all- this can be easily addressed. You could even volunteer to tape them up!  If you get nowhere with this through your race director- call Kevin.
The voice of the Southwest.

HeHateMe

Laptimes ..whatever...all I know is I've call six time and sent to faxes to de register for 6 races in the begining of April. I also asked that when someone recived my Voice mail and refunded the moneie to my acct to get a confriming e-mail or call....As of today...not done yet...now what I am supposed to do dispute them on my CC....this is a little crazy

Johnny B

QuoteI did not know that some regions are not posting lap times. Here in the SW and PA regions,  lap times are posted when the opportunity arises, that means as they can since it is really not  a prioity- getting the grid sheets out is.  They do get posted by the grids eventually.  If you are asking for them fifteen seconds after you exit the practice session- yes- you will probably get yelled at an in the SW region the nice ladies there will probably pull out your chest hair too.  If your region does not post them at all- mention this to the race director at the riders meeting.  He should be able to get this done barring any shortages of people,paper or toner.
LRRS has a runner and the laptimes for each practice/race are usually posted in Tech within 10 minutes.
As long as the transponders are owned and held by CCS, I believe the mylaps.com thing would be too labor-intensive as each rider can't be guarenteed to be packing the same transponder every week, which is vital to posting consistant results for each rider.
As far as outside help, they don't want to risk having data distributed that might contradict the official results, so all work on results is kept in-house.
At LRRS, we invited a few of the critics of our operations to come into the tower and show us how to do it better. Guess what? Nobody who came in could even get a grasp of how the software worked, let alone improve it. Different versions of race software aren't flooding the market, and they do have special reqirements that are needed by Timing and Scoring.
Sales of stopwatches at Street N Competition are way down since we got the system. They are very rare now.  ;D
Johnny B. (the other one) ®
Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
http://resthome.50megs.com

smoke

QuoteI saw a few things here I would like to address.  I did not know that some regions are not posting lap times. Here in the SW and PA regions,  lap times are posted when the opportunity arises, that means as they can since it is really not  a prioity- getting the grid sheets out is.  They do get posted by the grids eventually.  If you are asking for them fifteen seconds after you exit the practice session- yes- you will probably get yelled at an in the SW region the nice ladies there will probably pull out your chest hair too.  If your region does not post them at all- mention this to the race director at the riders meeting.  He should be able to get this done barring any shortages of people,paper or toner.

Second, did they stop making stopwatches?  I am sure a few people remember when they had them on wrist watches- even microwaves!  I bet if you went to an antique store you could find one for cheap.  They even had digital ones!  Point is quit being lazy  spoiled brats, spend less you amatuer year (no big trailers, flashy paint etc) and buy a stopwatch.  bribe a freind or fellow racer to take some times for you.  Next thing you all will want is CCS to provide telemetry since you are unsure when you use the brakes!  Seriously, if your region does not post times at all- this can be easily addressed. You could even volunteer to tape them up!  If you get nowhere with this through your race director- call Kevin.

It seems u did not read all of the posts.  Your comments are just dumb. You sound like a totaly NUM A$$$ as a result of the comments you made.

;D