News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I guess bikers are second class citizens

Started by tshort, May 14, 2004, 09:41:33 AM

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteAlso, another thing to think about:

What we as sport bike riders "look" like to people that don't ride motorcycles, and even some that do?

If you think about it, all they see on the news is how "dangerous" we are and they portray stoppies, wheelies, and tricks as how we ride.   Channel 7 (ABC) news did a special report just this week (Thurs.)  about "stunters" on "crotch rockets" being a "danger to Metro Detroiters" as they called it.  I started to watch it, but all it was about is people on Busa's doing 170 MPH down the freeway, drag racing, stoppies, and so on so, so I shut it off.  Then, you go Jimbob or whomever saying how cool he is on camera, and how fast his bike is.

What do you think this makes us look like to the "general public" that watches that complete B.S. on TV?  So, we are targeted as dangerous before we even leave the driveway.  Obviously, this doesn't justify someone running you over, but when it happens, regardless of what the cause was, the news stations air this kind of crap.  Regardless, we are considered a menace and people now worry more about talking on the phone or reading a magazine while driving rather than the guy on two wheels around them.

Ride in Janesville and see how much crap you get from the Janesville Guestapo because you have a bike that looks like a racebike. I get constantly followed and even had an officer tell me "we are watching you verticle mischief a$$holes" (verticle mischief is teh moron stunt team near here). Between that punk on a R1 flipping a cop off and taking off in awheelie and the other idiots using teh city streets as their race track/ stunt stage...they RUINED riding for many of us here.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

dylanfan53

Rob,
It may be extra bad in J'ville but it happens everywhere. I ride a GSXR 1K on the street.  I get followed incessantly by the cops in our little town.  I got a kick out of one who stopped me once. It was a guy I'd known when he was a kid.  I even used to talk to him about racing.
He thought he was going to impress some young hooli on a crotch rocket.  When I took off my helmet he ended up sounding like Eddie Haskell, "Oh Hello, Mr. Cook, did you get a new bike?"
"Yeah," I said, "the Ducati just didn't wheelie as easily as this one." ;D ;D
One of the few benefits of getting older is that I don't get anywhere near the number of tickets I used to.

Tom's right.  We're second class citizens on the road.  I ride aggressively on the street.  I try not to be a jerk, but I do make sure I'm controlling my own environment whenever possible.  
Don Cook
CCS #53

Woofentino Pugrossi

When I get my HD I'm gonna prove a point. I wanna get some straight pipes and pass a cop in a 30 doing 45 and any bets I wont get pulled over? :o I've seen that happen.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Baltobuell

I had to laugh at Don's remark. Age does have a couple of perk's. A few years back my father in his 60's then, decided to take my Dunstall Norton for a spin. When he got back he was laughing about the confused cop that gave him a stern tounge lashing. ;D

rubberducky

Frankly, in bad conditions, if I'm doing the speed limit and an accident occurs, I expect that I will be ticketed. These are things they teach in basic law classes that are typically needed for any kind of degree. I will say she was stupid for not wearing a helmet. I will never understand why people do not get the reasoning behind the helmet, or jeans, or gloves. Anyway, If that had been a motorcycle cop that got hit---holly shit--- it would have been all over for that truck driver. And as far as riding in the rain, when I rode the street, rain does happen at unexpected times. Rain doesn't mean she shouldn't have been riding. Hell, what does that say about us racing in the rain.

Off the subject, Tom, I had fun racing with you at Heartland park Topeka last season. I was the one on the green nt-650 hawk. I believe it was the lwgp race. What was that four or five corners we ran side by side? Sucked really bad when you came by on the straight. Right after you passed the motor said good bye. Threw a rod bearing. I wanted to beat you real bad. Was fun as hell, isnt very often that I trust people enough to run through corners like that. Tried like hell to at least hold my position after, made it almost to the finish line, but decided was better to pit out since she was trying to thow me everytime I let out of full throttle. Was cool battling w/ you. 742

Super_KC124

Hey Don. Aren't you a little old to be riding a Gixxer 1000? ;D

Burt Munro

Kevin,

Since you're home already I'm guessing deer sausage isn't on the menu for tomorrow? ;D

I'll get you some samples Monday or Tuesday as we discussed. 8)

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Super_KC124

;D Thank you, Sir! The deer sausage on my exhaust manifold smells really burnt. :-X

K3 Chris Onwiler

Did you rebuild the old red Chevy, Kev?  Hey, how was the Gateway turnout?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Jeff

QuoteNo, I wouldn't.  What would you have the state charge her with?  "Stupidity" is not a chargeable offence, at least not last I checked (which is a good thing, because several of the posters in this thread would have cause to worry if it were). Nor is riding without a helmet, riding in the rain, or riding at a reduced speed in adverse conditions (this last one is actually not only not illegal, it *is* illegal to do otherwise).

I'm not suggesting that she be charged with anything.  I'm simply stating that she holds a portion of the responsibility for putting herself in that situation.  

When I rode on the street, I took the extra steps to make SURE I was visible.  If someone was coming up behind me, I would tap my brakes or move to make sure people would see me.

In my opinion, they were BOTH at fault, and this was an ACCIDENT.  It wasn't a malicious idiotic drunken run-down, it was an accident.  

Could it have been avoided?  Sure.  It could have been avoided by her riding the speed limit or perhaps wearing different gear (reflective, etc. but the article doesn't state what she was wearing so I will let this go).  It could have also been avoided by the semi driver going a bit slower.  BOTH people hold a share of the responsibility here in my opinion.

QuoteWe are not debating whether riding without a helmet is a good idea or not; nor are we debating whether riding in inclement weather is a good idea or not.  

Not true...  I'll agree that we're not debating the helmet issue.  However, I would absolutely say that the inclement weather is a point to be discussed.   One might even go as far as to say that the weather was to blame in this situation.  

QuoteWe are debating whether a truck driver (supposedly with F1-like driving prowess, being a pro and all), is beyond reproach for having mowed down a motorcyclist whom he "didn't see in time" due to bad weather.  With all his experience, wouldn't you have thought that he would have adjusted his speed down so that he could stop for and/or avoid unexpected obstacles in the road?

To me this is black and white - he was wrong and should have the book thrown at him for reckless driving, and even reckless endangerment.

Well, I guess the two motorists and police don't share your view apparently...

QuoteI ride on the street -  a lot.  And I am not impressed with the way bikers are treated by other drivers.  The least I should be able to expect is that the State would make an effort to reinforce the notion that I have the same rights to the roads as cars and trucks do, and to clamp down on drivers who try to kill me, on purpose or otherwise.

Do yourself a favor and take the responsibility of making yourself seen.  Once again, right/wrong/otherwise, if you're on a bike and tangle with a car/truck/etc, you will lose.  MC riders need to be out there with the understanding that legally they have equal rights on the road, but realistically, they do not.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

r6_philly

in most states the logic/interpretation of the law is that you must be in control of the vehicle at all times. That means if it is raining motor oil and it is still your responsibility to stop your vehicle before you stuck anything in the roadway.

So it is raining, at night, then we all agree visibility must have been reduced. Then it is not safe to drive at the posted speed limit. He didn't stop in time did he? then he should have been driving slower. Most Interstates require a minimal speed of 40mph. She was above that. Most states post "65 MHP limit CONDITION PERMITTING".

So the truck driver may not have violated a law, but clearly AT FAULT. so if she choose to sue the truck driver and the freight company, she will get a big win and settlement, and rightfully so.

The woman lacks common sense (maybe) and should been more observant of her surroundings and maybe took actions to avoid being hit by a truck. Or wear more visible clothing. But we can't make that judgement because it may not have helped anyway???

Regardless of how stupid she could have been, the issue clearly is, a truck driver could not maintain total control of his vehicle and stuck someone in the roadway from behind. So he is responsible. Again may not be charged with anything, but will be 100% at fault in a civil court.

tigerblade

Quote Hey, how was the Gateway turnout?

To answer for him, meager.   :-/
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...