New Points paying idea for the season

Started by Bob Robbins, September 18, 2002, 08:55:45 AM

Bob Robbins

I hear a lot of people complain that it is real hard to attend all Mid-Atlantic events with 13 weekends and one being Daytona. There is at least a 1000 mile distance between the furthest two tracks in that region. Daytona is double points as well. How about going to a best 8 of 13 weekends to count toward a championship. I realize not many riders actually attend all 13, but if they did and did pretty well, they have a good chance of having it in the bag over those who can't make the longer distance trips. I am not bagging on those who go to all events. I'm not even chasing points this year and have only made 5 events, so I wouldn't be in any better shape. It would just allow those on a budget or without time off for the long 4-5 day weekends with travelling to have a chance.
I raced in the NE for 7 years and at one point they ran 11 events with Loudon and Bridgehampton, and you threw your worst finish away in each class. The distance factor was not an issue in that series.
Any comments?

Hasbeen46

Bob Robbins

sdiver68

Yeah, CCS would not get their money, so they wouldn't consider it....
MCRA Race School Instructor

G_2_G

sdiver hit the nail right on the head.  All CCS is worried about is getting there money.

Bob Robbins

I don't think the entries would drop much. They may actually increase since more people may be tempted to chase points at the events closer to them. I was at Roebling this year just because I nver raced there, and there was virtually nobody from the Summit & VIR crowd there. There were also many riders there that never come up North, so it would even out. Again, if a rider wanted to do all 13, he or she is only increasing their chances at a championship by having the best finishes count. Maybe 10 of the 13 would be more realistic.

Bob

Jeff

Quotesdiver hit the nail right on the head.  All CCS is worried about is getting there money.

It's a business, not a charity.

Go ahead and start out a new true club-level race organization.  Give it a few years and it will turn into the same thing...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

sdiver68

QuoteIt's a business, not a charity.

Go ahead and start out a new true club-level race organization.  Give it a few years and it will turn into the same thing...

Just to clarify, I was not criticising them for running a business like a business, I was pointing out that it proabbly would not make economic sense to do what the original poster suggested.  Throwing out 2 weekends (not 5) of 13 or so may not be so bad and may actaully increase entries as was suggested.
MCRA Race School Instructor

LRRS#52

I agree that it would probably INCREASE entries.

I am currently deciding whether to race CCS-MA, CCS-NE, or WERA-NE. I'm leaning towards WERA-NE only because of the distances involved with the CCS-MA region. If I could throw out Daytona and Carolina I'd be inclined to stay with CCS in the MA region.

Ted Temple
LRRS #52

oh344ccs

how about if the amount of points given for each race was lowered.  The way the points are now you get like 65 points to win a race.  Why not make it 20 or 25 points?  This would alllow you to pay points back to 15th or so and would make it so that if something happened and you couldn't make a race the amount of points you would lose on your competition wouldn't be so great.  This would make it possible to miss a race and still have a shot at recovering in the points.  furthermore there isn't any reason that everyone should get points at every race.  Make results count a little more, points should be earned for racing well, not for paying entries on time.   ;D

Super Dave

I always agreed with fewer points and paying down to less places.  That way a rider couldn't go out and do two laps for their points in a poorly attended event.  The rider then would have to race to get fifteenth and one point.

As for "true club organization", I don't get that.  That's what CCS offers.  Sportman racing.  SCCA is the same way.  As for distance, well, yeah, it's rough.  But race tracks are far and few between.  Sometimes an organization has to take what it can get for dates, etc.

Profit?  I have the unique opportunity that I have to rent the race track when I teach school, pay the cornerworkers, pay the insurance, etc.  It's not easy, it's pretty thankless, I am severely in debt, and I still enjoy it.  Clear Channel is not making a bunch of cake from CCS racing.  At times they loose money, but hopefully, they have a good event once in a while to pay for the ones that were a loss.

CCS continues to offer more purse paying classes, and there are purse paying classes for amateurs.  Wow!  Was never like that in years past!  Insurance has been the killer, in addition to new tracks that feel that they are the "premier facility" in the area and have rental prices that are beyond premere.
Super Dave