Married?  I need help.  Quick....

Started by cornercamping, April 30, 2004, 06:51:47 AM

smoke

I can say I have a cool wife as she lets me do the things that make me happy and she supports me. When I needed rain tiers for 4/8/04 track day she went and picked them up.

dylanfan53

QuoteI can say I have a cool wife as she lets me do the things that make me happy and she supports me. When I needed rain tiers for 4/8/04 track day she went and picked them up.
Congrats.  I hope you have many happy years together.  I'm on year 18 and I got lucky too.  

I was short in my prior response, but too many men blame their wives for denying them things that they want to do.  IMHO, I think that just makes them weak and, in many cases, is insulting and unfair to their wives.

Compromise is fine.  Respect is essential.  I respect my wife's opinions as much, if not more than my own. We each have our strengths and weaknesses and, yes, we get on each other's nerves sometimes.
Life's too complicated to say how two people get along best. All I know is that she knows what's important to me and she knows that I wouldn't enjoy life as much if I couldn't pursue it.  Whether it's motorcycles or snowmobiles or golf or hunting or tiddly winks or whatever, for her to deny me life's adventures would be asking me to give up part of who I am.

She's a great gal because she never asks me to do that.  And I'd never deny her the things that give her joy. In fact, I work hard to provide them as best I can.  Of course, she's a woman and changes them often to keep me guessing....oops, there I go again.

I'm up too late. Peace.

Don Cook
CCS #53

Roach

I'm getting the feeling that most of the negatives here are from people who aren't married, or are missing the point entirely - she's not asking him to quit racing.

My wife and I both race. We didn't race, or do track days before the wedding. This was a mutual agreement.

Why? Because we're club racers. Racing isn't a necessity, we don't earn a living from it, and hopping down the isle on crutches just isn't quite the same as walking down it. It's also much harder to dance with a cast on your leg  ;D

You get married once. There's lots more club races for years and years to come. If you honestly see club racing as something more important than your wedding (or more to the point, your future wife's vision of it) ... you might want to reconsider the latter.

- Roach

Bernie

Corner I'll buy your 04 gixxer off you for cheap. ;D

Baltobuell

Ya know, For me this thread was a little curious. Racers standing up for marriage? At work most everyone thinks of it as work away from work. A burden. Then it hit me that married racers have to have a wife that supports a man's outside interests. So they have husbands that are happily married. That in turn makes her life richer by living with a happy guy that is more interesting and she gets to do whatever she thinks is fun with her time. Give and take, but the groundwork apparently starts very early and is easily lost.

Smoke, if you bought a bike for you and she bought furniture for the house and is happy about that, you've got gold there buddy! Take flowers home today. ;D

cornercamping

QuoteCorner I'll buy your 04 gixxer off you for cheap. ;D

;D Nice TRY  ;)

TZDeSioux

I have a neighbor who likes to come to my garage when I'm working on my bike to talk about bikes and how he used to ride and how fun it was. I asked him why he doesn't ride anymore. His answer was that his wife made him sell it when they got married because it's too dangerous. Now all he does is drive around in his Volvo with a freaking parrot on his shoulder.

Moral of the story? Don't be a biatch!

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteThen it hit me that married racers have to have a wife that supports a man's outside interests. So they have husbands that are happily married. That in turn makes her life richer by living with a happy guy that is more interesting and she gets to do whatever she thinks is fun with her time.  
Very well said.  I think that this is the truth my wife and I  finally discovered.  Things were rough, I mean ROUGH when I started racing, but we're OK now.  I'm about as happily married as a guy can be.  She "Doesn't support my racing," but she mows the lawn, fixes everything she can around the house, brings home the groceries and pays the bills.  This leaves me the time I need to go out and play, or do the work required between races to stay in the game.  Thank god for her "Non-support!"
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

LAG

I've never understood the whole "my wife won't let me ride" philosophy.  As a woman, a racer, and married to a racer, I understand that without racing, my husband would be a sad man.  Do I get worried because it's dangerous? Of course I do.  But at the same time, driving our cars are dangerous, walking down the street is dangerous...almost anything we do in our normal daily lives could get us all hurt.

As Roach said, we both agreed not to race or do track days before our wedding, and it was a mutual agreement. After we got married, it was right back to racing.  Did the time off suck?  Heck yea, but all in all it was worth it.  We're celebrating our first anniversary today.  :D

If you can't find a woman who supports what makes you happy, get rid of her.  Either that, or take away her credit cards and see how she feels with no more shopping. ;)

fizzer400

if you really love her, you'll be fine with waiting to race until after the wedding. you've got to understand that women take this marriage thing way more seriously than us guys. this is their day, and they want it to be perfect. they don't want to exchange vows with you in the ICU.

last year i skipped the races at jennings because of the very same reason you have. and guess what? she let me race after the wedding! :)

there will be plenty of other times to race, but you only do this once(hopefully). :)

jeff

Roach

Quoteyou've got to understand that women take this marriage thing way more seriously than us guys. this is their day, and they want it to be perfect.

Funniest quote, from my friend Mike when I asked him to be my Best Man:

"If you remember one thing, this will all go just fine: It's her day, not yours"

Know what? He was right.

:)

- Roach

fizzer400

you're totally right roach! what's sad is that even more than her day(which it should be), it's really more about the families getting what they want! (if it's a big wedding)

jeff