Thunderbike Questions

Started by George_Linhart, April 16, 2004, 07:27:59 AM

George_Linhart

Guys,

A few questions about the Thunderbike class.  I was thinking about trying to run my F2.  I would have thought that it should be reasonably competitive but looking at the latest RRW there didn't seem to be anyone running them at the recent races - what gives?  Has the extra weight rule made them an unatractive ride for the class?

Also, would it be legal in the class to run an F3 front end on it or does it need to have the stock fork and wheels?  I find the standard brakes on the F2 to be a bit lacking.

Thanks in advance,

George

Super Dave

Buell posts a lot of money, so there are a lot of Buells.  

I didn't really know the guys that were running F2's in the class, so I can't tell you if the new limits changed their minds.

I do know that my F2 in 1993 put out 93HP (Dynojet) and went over the AMA scales at Brainerd at about 410. (4.4:1)  We had a good motor.

As for the stock brakes, they were more than adequate in 1993.  And we were running times in the high 1:14 to 1:16 range at Blackhawk.  In 2001, we were into the 1:13's.  Track is faster now with the repaving finally.

I think brakes, suspension and wheels are open.  Tighter rules for Sportbike.
Super Dave

spyderchick

The weight/hp rules put those running the F2 at a bit of a disadvantage. I know there was alot of discussion about the rules changes in the off season. Besides, the F2 isn't really as competitive in a whole lot of other classes. So I guess that people have decided to change bikes/classes or move over to the Buell.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Mark Bernard

Bu-ell... Bu-ell... Bu-ell... Bu-ll...! :-X  Sorry... I couldn't help myself.   ;D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

EX#996

QuoteBu-ell... Bu-ell... Bu-ell... Bu-ll...! :-X  Sorry... I couldn't help myself.   ;D

Down boy....  Down!

Take a deeeaaaappp breath.....

There, don't you feel better now?

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Mark Bernard

iiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnhhhhaaaaaaiiillllllllllll...............................
eeeeeeexxxxxxhhhhhaaaaaiiiillllll....................................
Wow... much better now. Thanks Dawn!  ;)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

George_Linhart

Thanks for the info.  The deal is, this was my first ever racebike - I keep it for fun and memories - I don't care if I could get contingency on something else!

After sitting unused for a number of years I started taking it out and using it as a track day bike.  After several years of this abuse with nothing other than oil changes I have no idea what kinde of HP it would run.  If I am going to take it back out there to be compentitive I probably will have it freshened up and see where it comes in on the weight/hp ratio.

To really make the series competitive they should have a combined bike/rider weight limit - I weigh in at around 200 lbs - those skinny kids have such an advantage.

Dave - you are correct, the brakes do just fine.  However, in comparison to my 929 its a very tough transition.  With the F3 front end it has more initial bite and I don't scare myself quite so much on that first lap while I am trying to adjust!

George

Woofentino Pugrossi

Theres nothing in the rule book that says you need the same year forks for T-bike. So I'm guessing that the F3 forks would be fine (email Kevin Elliot to make completely sure:D).
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

JimH

Okay!  Everyone together say "unlimited displacement pushrod v-twin!) Yeeehaaa ;D

Baltobuell

Be aware Jim, they cut the hp back so people don't have to go to a big bore monster to keep up. The same guys will still be in front, but closeing speeds on lappers won't be quite so dramatic. Smart move IMHO.

Super Dave

QuoteBThe same guys will still be in front, but closeing speeds on lappers won't be quite so dramatic.

Same guys will be up front, but the potential engine problems will be lessened.  

Closing speed will still be a problem.  But that's usually a rider problem.  

If HP was all that mattered, 750's and 1000's would kill 600's...but that doesn't happen.
Super Dave

stephenr928

George,
I just posted an answer to the other t-bike post.  I'll add a bit more here, but check my earlier response first.
I race the F2 in am. t-bike, great plains region.  (Usually mixed in with MW & GL regions.)  Last year was my first year racing, & the F2 was a good bike for me (190 lbs, wanting a reliable bike, etc.).  I started the year out slowly, but I got up to speed over time.  The sportsman classes tend to be a little 'friendlier' than, say, the 600cc classes.
[Best example:  While racing for second place against Paul Buxton at St. Louis in September last year, we got the rain flag during the race, Paul checked up & I went around him....I felt bad 'taking advantage' of the flag, so I slowed down and rode around in the middle of the track so he could come by me.  But while I was tucked in waiting for him to go past, he was waiting for me to look back because he wanted to wave me on!  (I was in it for the championship, & he was out of the running in the class.)  He didn't want to cause a crash by racing hard & jeopordize my dreams...]
I'm fairly certain you can't run any F3 parts on the F2.  The gray area is the forks from the 94 F2.  I believe they were used on the 95 & 96 F3.  Don't try upgrading your wheels...I'll protest you in a heart beat.  (Hmmm, where'd all that "friendly attitude" go?)  The best advice remains, email questions to Kevin Elliot....Then print & save his respose to show the tech guys when they start questioning your bike.
I don't believe the ccs rounds will have a dyno to check hp/wt....but the formula USA rounds will.  The really built sv 650's will have an advantage with hp/wt, but most am. sv owners don't go nuts with their bikes, that way they can be raced in all the various light wt classes.
It's true, there is alot of Buell contingency $'s, but if you already have an f2, keep it simple and use it.  Your first race season should be kept as simple & cheap as possible.  Lotsa folks jump into racing with their budget blown on the race bike before the season starts.....Then the reality of tire cost, registration, repairs, etc. kill the season early.
Come out and have some fun this year.
Steve
MA  #92
cbr 600 F2
(My Heart Still Remains in the Great Plains)