New Gen SV650 as a race bike

Started by quicktoy, April 16, 2004, 04:41:06 AM

quicktoy

Just curious, my buddy is looking to get a new gen (03 and up) SV 650 and hes not sure whether to get the regular SV650 or the SV650 S model.
What is the difference? I found out their bodywork from sharkskinz is different too.
What are more of you guys racing?
My return as an Amateur

motomadness

Maybe the bodywork is different simply because the S already has brackets to mount the upper.  Is there also a difference with the upper triple clamp due to the type of bars.  I sure there is more.  Check out the suzuki website.

dwilson

There's a few small differences, check out svrider.org...

The triple clamps are a little different, the headlight bracket stuff is different, the rear sets may be a little different...  If you're going with race bodywork anyway, why shell out all the extra cash for the "s"?  

The only performance difference I'm aware of between the 99-02 & 03+ models is the cams and fuel injection.  If you do the cam upgrade on a 99-02 you'll be in the ball park anyway...  fuel injection is nice though (-:

quicktoy

why are the race bodyworks different then?
My return as an Amateur

tigerblade

Quote If you're going with race bodywork anyway, why shell out all the extra cash for the "s"?  

I went ahead with the 's' because of the triple clamps.  Until I get some clipons, I'm still running the stockers.  I think you'd need a new upper triple clamp to use clipons rather than the handlebar of the standard SV.  I can probably also sell the stock upper, so the price difference seemed worth it for me.  The gearing is slightly higher on the 's' and the stock rearsets are a little higher too.   :)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

dwilson

Quotewhy are the race bodyworks different then?

I don't understand what you're asking?

The naked SV uses a headlight bracket that goes from the top triple to the bottom triple, with this bracket in the way you can't use clip-ons.  This is why alot of the front stuff is different...

ecumike

SV650 S - slow
SV650 - slower
:O

;D

EX#996

QuoteSV650 S - slow
SV650 - slower
:O

;D

Yeah....

...  but Paul's KawaSukiHondaYaha will kick your _ _ _.    ;D   (His bike will definately NOT qualify for Super Sport any more...)

Dawn   ;)
(I guess I better get back to working on the motor home....)

Paul and Dawn Buxton

cstem

One new quick performance mod for the new gen Sv- remove the airbox snorkel baffle for about 2-4 horses.  Not legal for SS classes as this is condsidered an airbox mod.  Our savvy tech inspector found that out quick- He even made tools for both SV's to check airbox hole diameter.
The voice of the Southwest.