South African Grand Prix Predictions

Started by TZDeSioux, April 15, 2004, 06:46:23 PM

OmniGLH

Quote2 Rossi - With experience comes wisdom. Rossi brough his whole crew along for the change.  But why show all your card?.  Don't need to; he just needs to put in a good showing.

I think Rossi has something to prove.  With all the people out there claiming the BIKE was the reason he is so fast - I bet he has a fire in his gut to win.  Especially this first round.  If he comes out and DOESN'T do well - then EVERYONE will say, "See!  See!  It WAS the bike!"  But if he WINS this first round, it will shut everyone up.  From that point through the rest of the season, he only needs to put in a good showing.

Just my opinion.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

cornercamping

QuoteI think Rossi has something to prove.  With all the people out there claiming the BIKE was the reason he is so fast - I bet he has a fire in his gut to win.  Especially this first round.  If he comes out and DOESN'T do well - then EVERYONE will say, "See!  See!  It WAS the bike!"  But if he WINS this first round, it will shut everyone up.  From that point through the rest of the season, he only needs to put in a good showing.

Just my opinion.

I think that is a justifiable comment.  Look at his laptime during qualifying.  Hell, he beat his own track record.  He's definetly out to show up everyone, but I still think his motovation is to show that regardless of the bike manufacturer, he is the MotoGP god.  Remember why he switched to ride a Yammie this year?  That right there points the arrow in the direction I'm coming up with.  He'll start with all the "underdog" manufacturers, and go up from there.  By the end of his career, he will probably have won a championship on every single manufactuers bike there is.  Has anyone done that before?  Nope.  He's already proven he's within the best of the best in MotoGP, if he's not actually the very best rider there is.  So, what else is there to prove?  It's not the bike that counts?  ??? Everyone already knows that there are no better sport bikes than a real GP teams. That's motorcycle technology at it's best  :)

tigerblade

Practice/Qualifying is very misleading.  Remember McWilliams putting the Proton on pole for Phillip Island a couple years ago and promptly getting smoked in the race?   ;)

1. Barros

2. Hayden

3. Rossi

4. Biaggi

5. Edwards
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Super Dave

QuoteI think Rossi has something to prove...

No.

At that level of racing, no.  He's just trying to do his best, every day, every week, every year.  When the fun and satisfaction of doing that goes away, his riding might deteriorate, or he might just leave and go to rally racing or something...

He could care less about who he's racing against.  He's just doing his job.  But IF someone could consistently pick it up and give him a serious run for his money race in race out, it would be much more interesting.

The Lawson/Spencer battles were really good.  Same goes for the Schwantz, Rainey, Doohan battles.  Yeah, someone had to win, but really you don't know who.  

Now, well, Rossi is still an easy pick.  Even on the Yamaha.  Question has to be can anyone really pick it up?  Hayden?  Might be the best bet as he's not a seasoned Euro traveler.  The rest, well, they've all been to these tracks for years and years, and some for over a decade.  
Super Dave

cornercamping

QuoteQuestion has to be can anyone really pick it up?  Hayden?  

Hayden  ::) maybe next year.   I think Edwards is going to give everyone a run for their money this year, just because he's pissed at Aprilia.  I met Colin Edwards at the STT Track Day (Aprilia Edwards Replica Day) and he seems like a cool guy.   One thing you could kind of tell though, is that he really was glad the relationship with Aprilia was over.  That track day was the last thing he "owed" Aprilia and then it was over.  I got him to sign my helmet and gas tank.  Track day was a hoot, lemme tell ya.  Kevin Schwantz, Jamie James, Colin Edwards running around the track, and then some moron on a brand new Mille R Edwards Replica that had 0 miles on it which was supposed to be a collectors item, decided to "try" and outbrake Edwards in Turn 1 at Jennings.  Yeah, that kinda sent his stupid ass into the dirt.  That bike was in pieces.  Anyways, now that Colin has a new ride, he's gotta step up to the plate.  No more lame "Aprilia Problems" excuses.  Some thought that the Aprilia bikes weren't up to par with the rest, but this year, he better either be on the podium, or come up with a better excuse.  I personally think that Edwards will be the one to give Rossi a "challenge" BUT, Rossi will just toy with him until he gets bored, then start sliding the rear end of that Yammie in every turn and leave the entire pack in the dust.  8)  We'll see.  Hope Edwards says his prayers and makes it thru the season, otherwise, he'll be selling more of this stuff to fund all his toys after he loses his GP ride:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2770467919&category=2875

;D

I'm actually into MotoGP and WSBK than some think I am  8)

cornercamping

QuotePractice/Qualifying is very misleading.  

I know, cost me $50.00 last time  >:( Right now official odds are 10 to 1 on Edwards for the win.
Odd's on Rossi are 2 to 1.  Not that I gamble or anything, but the "bookies" usually know what's up  ;) ;D
Anyways, is Rossi's time "Official" in the fact that he beat his own record, or does it only count in an actual race?  I know that with us it doesn't count unless we're actual in a race.  He was .498 seconds faster in qualifying than the circuit record.  Hmmm ???

cornercamping

Look at the odds on this stuff:

MotoGP - GP Africa, World      
MotoGP - GP Africa, Race - 2:00 PM  +10  
Victory bet  

Valentino Rossi (ITA/Yamaha)  2.00  

Sete Gibernau (ESP/Honda)  4.00  

Max Biaggi (ITA/Honda)  5.50  

Nick Hayden (USA/Honda)  10.00  

Loris Capirossi (ITA/Ducati)  10.00  

Colin Edwards (USA/Honda)  10.00  

Alex Barros (BRA/Honda)  10.00  

Kenny Roberts (USA/Suzuki)  12.00  

Makoto Tamada (JPN/Honda)  30.00  

Marco Melandri (ITA/Yamaha)  35.00  

Troy Bayliss (AUS/Ducati)  40.00  

Carlos Checa (ESP/Yamaha)  40.00  

John Hopkins (USA/Suzuki)  50.00  

Shinya Nakano (JPN/Kawasaki)  80.00  

Alex Hofmann (GER/Kawasaki)  125.00  

Neil Hodgson (GBR/Ducati)  150.00  

Ruben Xaus (ESP/Ducati)  150.00  

Norick Abe (JPN/Yamaha)  150.00  

Jeremy McWilliams (GBR/Aprilia)  350.00  

Shane Byrne (GBR/Aprilia)  350.00  

Kurtis Roberts (USA/Proton)  800.00  

Nobuatsu Aoki (JPN/Proton)  800.00

Roberts is 800 to 1  :o  Imagine hitting that one.  Bet 1K Euro's and your stinkin rich if he pulled it off  8)  

Clay... watcha do with all the contingency money  :P

Super Dave

QuoteHayden  ::) maybe next year.

If he doesn't do it this year, there will be a lot of unhappy people.  Honda America pulled some big strings to get him the ride last year.  They feel that he can do it.  

It's time.  If he can't step it up this year, he might as well start looking for other rides.  Honestly, as an American, you've got to be pretty big to run in a European sponsor filled championship.  
Super Dave

Super Dave

1. Valentino ROSSI, Yamaha, 1:32.647
2. Sete GIBERNAU, Honda, 1:32.682
3. Max BIAGGI, Honda, 1:32.919
4. Nicky HAYDEN, Honda, 1:33.098
5. Colin EDWARDS, Honda, 1:33.111
6. Shinya NAKANO, Kawasaki, 1:33.276
7. Marco MELANDRI, Yamaha, 1:33.296
8. Alex BARROS, Honda, 1:33.359
9. Loris CAPIROSSI, Ducati, 1:33.522
10. Kenny ROBERTS, Suzuki, 1:33.543
Super Dave

H-man

Whoa!  :o  The top 10 bikes doing average lap times within 1 second of each other?  :o :o

I don't think you're clairvoyant Super D., but I'll be sure to tape this race as well as watch it ;)
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

251am

Alright Mr VanillaMice- I'll lay a 15 pack of Guiness on Mr Rossi. You still with Biaggi to win? Hey wait a minute, the race is over isn't it?

Super Dave

One second of each other, yeah.  It's cool.  

Best riders, best tires, best teams.

Over yet?  Maybe, but the results aren't posted yet.  Morning warm up times are.
Super Dave