News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Grid Idea????

Started by GAMEDIC, September 12, 2002, 08:45:58 PM

GAMEDIC

Here is an idea..and i think i am going to make this a poll just to see what you all think....may be just as bad as anything else but i don't think i have seen it anywhere....and i know this may not be good in some cases but maybe take the lap times from the last race that person ran at that track and grid accoding to that...it would still work even if you didn't finish or wrecked the last time you were there it would still be your fastest lap you rane at any given time in your class the last time you raced there...that would not take that much more time to do and it would not cut into practice time or make us have to be there a day early....but other than qualifing it is the only other fair way it could be done...it would even be better than by points..cause even someone who is slow and racks up points by going to all the races would still be in the grid for their lap speed.....the only people it would affect would be new racers..and i am one of them and i would have no problem with this even that i might be in the very back my first race at the track well if i run good and have a good lap time i know that the next race there i would be up more on the grid.....

GAMEDIC

come on people..25 people look and only 5 vote?...

Jeff

Being as how CCS doesn't provide timing equipment, there's a very slim chance this would be feasible...

Names in hats maybe???

Lottery???
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Dawn

Rock - Paper - Scissors   ???

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Decreasing_Dave

CCS is working on transponders for everyone.  they experimented with them this past weekend at Vegas.

It seemed to go well, it was nice knowing how far behind Kane I ended up.  Even though they could have used a calender instead ;D.  If they do institute the transponders, they could take the lap times from practice and use them toward grid positions.  Now that's the way to go.

GAMEDIC

yup i heard they were that is another reason i thought about this way...

GAMEDIC

If you are voting no..i would like to know youreason behind it...if you don't mind posting it

Xian_13

Okay hear are my thoughts,

Grid ONLY the first row by points (think small, try not to rock the boat)
Most of us agree there should be a better reason for gridding, if people didn't feel that way there would not be this many treads about it.

Having the 2nd row and back gridding the old way, would have little if any effect on pre-regisitration. We all know on a good start, you can be a few rows back and it would not matter. Plus it gives the people that merit the first row, the chance to be there.

With gridding in this manner, a few things might come out of it.... One, people would be more would be inclided to make races... in order to get those ever more important points. Two, CCS might find out this method works better, and add more rows to this type of gridding. Three, it will keep people as slow as me out of your hair for a few laps (ACK lapped again? :o)

If you want to make changes to the system, don't reinvent the wheel.... take it slow and ask for reasonible changes.
In the end, a new system might come out of what both sides want.
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

GAMEDIC

wera331

how about by where you finish the previous weekend,then by reg. order

rmahr137

I still think that gridding by points is the way to go, unless you are going to have qualifying sessions, which will never happen for a regular CCS weekend.  Maybe CCS could make a incentive for those that pre-enter, a discounted rate or something, to get more people to pre-enter.  

Leave practice as practice, not a qualifying session.  I maybe trying something out in practice, a new line, or scrubbing in tires, and i don't want to be gridded in the back for having a slow practice time.  

David Yeski

I maybe trying something out in practice, a new line, or scrubbing in tires, and i don't want to be gridded in the back for having a slow practice time.

I have to agree with this even though it was I that posted about transponders and practice times.  However, they do not need to take an average of your times, all they need is one fast lap. This is good because if your fastest lap for the day is slow for some reason (ie. tires, suspension, etc..) then you would be grided accordingly regardless of when you entered.  This would give others the opportunity for a fair start.  They got their bike dialed in better, therefore they do a faster lap, hence better grid position.

I also understand about flying laps and traffic, but thats the way it goes.  Without a Superpole it will be a fact of life.  As long as people remember that it is only club racing and don't get stupid out there.TEXT

GAMEDIC

That is what i was saying...take your fastest time from the entire weekend at that track...for that class..that would be the next best thing to qualifing round

oh344ccs

??? ???  I don't know what the best plan would be, but, at least everyone seems to want change.  I like the idea of times in practice.  My reasons are that if you are racing in a different region and choose to race a couple times in another region, that dosen't mean that you don't want the chance to run upfront.  As far as people triing new things in practice, in most cases you have 2.  therefore try your changes if they don't improve your times you can correct it before your next session.  The only real changes that would be needed to make this happen would be maybee to add a practice or two,breaking up classes a little better in order to allow more clear track for better times to b e possible.  Also when practice is reduced to one session it is usually known first thing in the morning.