News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Super Dave, One On One.

Started by KBOlsen, April 13, 2004, 08:30:57 AM

KBOlsen

Do it.  It's the best money you can spend.  And if anybody here in the midwest wants to "share" him for a day, shoot me an E-mail or something!

He helped me figure out a few things I've been doing wrong... and more importantly, found things with the bike that were problematic and even more importantly, how to fix 'em!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Dawn

Super Dave

Thanks!

It all makes sense now doesn't it.

Feel is a really big thing, and I think you have a better idea of that now.  How did Sunday go?
Super Dave

KBOlsen

Sunday I was working with a gal who had absolutely zero track experience, so I spent most of the day riding while facing backwards.  Even at that speed, the bike was still "resistive" and I noticed an unsettling "oscillation" on acceleration coming out of the uphill left-hander.

Do you think John should check the steering head?

Having cold tires all day long didn't help either.  Next time we go there, we WILL be prepared with the generator.

I think we're going to Blackhawk on Sunday to see if we can't get her a little more "sorted out".

smoke

You are right Kim.
 I learned more from Dave in a day in a half that I did all last race year.  I think we all wanted more time as the morning rain had us all a lil down and one person (not me) militant.
Now its jsut a matter of do I race the Summit weekend in May or take a track day to work on the stuff from dave then race on the FUSA weekend?
Now I just need to figure out a time frame to train with dave again this year?  ;D

I am planning for next year already  :-X

Kim I think you are about  10hour drive.  hmmmm  I am supose to be in Indy for two weeks in June hmm

KBOlsen

Hmmm... STT has a weekend at Putnam again at the end of July...  Do they have any track days by you?

Super Dave

QuoteDo you think John should check the steering head?

Having cold tires all day long didn't help either.  Next time we go there, we WILL be prepared with the generator.

I think we're going to Blackhawk on Sunday to see if we can't get her a little more "sorted out".

I think you need to take the ride height out of the back that you added last year.  Get it back to the way that the first bike was when I rode it.

Steering head cause that?  No.

Mel, yeah, the morning rain really blew.  I need to do some e-mail work with the four of you too.  Bernie's bike was relatively well sorted, and I really needed more time with him to get him going better.  

June's bad...  Summit beginning of May, then RA, then Loudon, then VIR...AHHH!  Then MAM, week off, then Blackhawk?
Super Dave

smoke

thats right you should be back in my neck of the woods on or about 26 or 27 May. Are you going to do the track practice day on the 28th?

SD
I'm droping my spare forks off on friday to have them done over the weekend by John from CTR. I'll also pick up the woodcraft stands at athe same time.

smoke

QuoteHmmm... STT has a weekend at Putnam again at the end of July...  Do they have any track days by you?

I will check all the orgs ou there but I think NESBA would have an issue.

KBOlsen

Yeah, NESBA is problematic that way.  STT is very accomodating, however.  Just make sure that whoever is sharing your day rides in the same group you do.

Dave, the shims will come out of the bike TONIGHT!

Super Dave

Shims out...good.  Got to get back to where we were at last year.  That's lost time...terrible.

You know now the difference in feel.

NESBA is strictly out.  They refuse and I refuse.

STT is very, very good.  Can't say enough good things about Bonnie and Monte.  Happy to work within their program.  And I recommend them for track day programs.

Will I be out there for Friday practice?  Yeah, I would like to, but I'll have to practice and put my mind to doing faster laps.  I'm happy to help you guys in a surface manner...we'll work together, but I've got to do some laps and get fast.

Stands and forks....great.  Things will be good.  

Mel, here's something for you to do.

Somehow, I want you to measure from the bottom triple clamp to the front axle...somewhere, doesn't matter just as long as you can to it again...repeatable....

The forks need to be completely extended, not mounted on the stand you had at Summit.  

Also measure from the top triple clamp to the top of the fork cap.

Write both of those measurements down.

When you swap forks, make sure that the measurement from the bottom of the triple clamp to the whatever on the front axle is the same from your old forks to new forks.  Measure the top part too, and tell me what you come up with when you do it....it can be different depending upon the mods.  We can talk more about stuff after that.  

This all making sense?
Super Dave

smoke

Let me see
 That will start me off with the same trail as I had.  Thats the baseline to make adjustments from.  If I get lost at any time I can go back to the base line.

Super Dave

Exactly.

And we can build from there.  Got to have that ball park.  Might find more trail is accomodating, but we have to have a start.  Remember we dropped the spring out of the back too, right?  That was to add some trail.  Maybe, we drop the forks down in the clamps and put that preload back into it.

All kind of a balancing act.

How's Kim?  The tree hugger?  LOL!

And Kim, how was the weather on Sunday?  OK?
Super Dave

smoke

We rear was all the way at the bottom. we brought it up.  The tree hugger has been cranky the past two days ???

Super Dave

Yeah, the ride height was at the bottom, but I thought we took out some spring for the last time out 'cause it was topping out...  You remember?
Super Dave

smoke

QuoteWill I be out there for Friday practice?  Yeah, I would like to, but I'll have to practice and put my mind to doing faster laps.  I'm happy to help you guys in a surface manner...we'll work together, but I've got to do some laps and get fast.

I just wanted to know when u would get out here.  thats the fun time( race time) and plus there is a lil place we need to take u  :o.  U know that place Sean and I were talking about.  I still am up in the air about that weekend as a result of the thing in phily on the 30th.  Oh...  The 28th is a MARCC trackday, the 29th is a LP trackday I think

smoke

QuoteYeah, the ride height was at the bottom, but I thought we took out some spring for the last time out 'cause it was topping out...  You remember?

We came up two full turns on the rear.

KBOlsen

Sunday morning was around 40 and spitty.  By noon, it had cleared up and ended up being just a little bit cooler than Saturday.  John was watching the President when I got home, so we'll take out the shims tonight.  Everything else is "as-is" from Saturday.