News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

sponsorship questions

Started by digitalRoost, April 12, 2004, 04:39:28 PM

digitalRoost

First off, WHAZZZUUPP?!?! First post so I thought I'd say Hi, how's it hangin?

I'm also new to racing and after 2 race weekends I figured out that I don't have the money to keep doing this. I know, should have been obvious but it wasn't.

What I'm wondering is how you go about getting people to sponsor you? Is it possible to get a sponsorship if you're an amateur and not the 2nd coming? What I'd REALLY like is either some support on tires or someone to donate suspension parts (I'm 215 lbs. running stock suspension) in return for listing on my site, sponsor listing, etc. Is that a reasonable request?

Basically, how does that whole thing work and what do I need to do to get the ball rolling? Flame away...

MELK-MAN

QuoteFirst off, WHAZZZUUPP?!?! First post so I thought I'd say Hi, how's it hangin?

I'm also new to racing and after 2 race weekends I figured out that I don't have the money to keep doing this. I know, should have been obvious but it wasn't.

What I'm wondering is how you go about getting people to sponsor you? Is it possible to get a sponsorship if you're an amateur and not the 2nd coming? What I'd REALLY like is either some support on tires or someone to donate suspension parts (I'm 215 lbs. running stock suspension) in return for listing on my site, sponsor listing, etc. Is that a reasonable request?

Basically, how does that whole thing work and what do I need to do to get the ball rolling? Flame away...

when you find out.. PM me.. :)
in the meantime, pick a tire and take advantage of all the contingency you can. Fill out the proper forms at each race, get the stickers, etc.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

cornercamping

According to some on this site, you don't deserve anything because your not an expert  ::)

Bah.. my suggestion would be to ask around to the places you do business with.  Any local bike shops? How about where you work.  May not be work related industry, but hey, you never know.  All advertising is beneficial  ;)

MZGirl

Here are my lessons learned on sponsorship.

http://www.precisionstrikeracing.com/sponsorship.html

I got sponsored after only 3 race weekends.  All you have to do is ask.  Many don't even do that.

Good luck!

digitalRoost

QuoteHere are my lessons learned on sponsorship.

http://www.precisionstrikeracing.com/sponsorship.html

I got sponsored after only 3 race weekends.  All you have to do is ask.  Many don't even do that.

Good luck!
Thanks for the link...that helps. What does a good resume look like though? Have any examples you can share? brianjkirkland@yahoo.com

spyderchick

A good resume should be eyecatching but simple. Tell the truth, and don't embellish too much.

Things to include:
One good race photo
A nice head shot of you
Your accomplishments
Your goals
What you can bring to the table
What you want (Don't be too pie-in-the-sky and don't ask for too little.

Remember, this person or business is busy and hasn't alot of time to read a novella. Be concise. Be professional. If they require a contract, read it. And remember, sponsorship (money or goods) is considered income by the government. Consult an accountant in your area to learn about proper record keeping.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

MZGirl

Race resumes are much like job resumes. The more professional looking, the better. Put a lot of thought and work into it, and it will impress the company you are applying to.

What to include on a resume: your name, address, phone #, e-mail, and website URL (if you have one). List the make and model of bike(s) you are going to race. List the organizations you hold a racing license with. Briefly list your experience/results. If you've raced, list what classes you raced. If you've never raced, list the number of track days you've done in the past. List the tracks you have experience on. If you've volunteered as a cornerworker or for the racing organization, put that down. Play up your experience and accomplishments, even if they seem small. Next is the goals section. This is the most important section. Let them know which classes you plan to compete in and with which racing organizations. For my first year of racing, my main goal was to get as much racing experience as possible. It wasn't until my second year of racing when I started putting down actual result-related goals (finish top 5 of such-and-such class, win such-and-such class championship).

Racing resumes should be organized well, and no more than 1 page. Print it out on nice resume paper (with a watermark). The cover letter is where you can tailor everything to the company you are applying to. Be specific in what you are asking for as far as sponsorship. Let them know how you will keep them updated, how you will use their products, etc.

Hope that helps.

251am

Lockhart Phillips Privateer program, and tire contingency forms. Both help a lot. Go from there.

digitalRoost

QuoteLockhart Phillips Privateer program, and tire contingency forms. Both help a lot. Go from there.
Thx...already signed up with LP and I fill out the tire forms every race weekend. Those *will* help a lot eventually.

digitalRoost

QuoteThings to include:
One good race photo
Does anyone know if there are photographers for CCS at the SW or Pacific region events? I see a photos section on the website, but they seem to be LPUSA photos. My camera's zoom sucks so all I have is "dude (or dudeette) on black bike with redish gear following dude on yellowish bike with blackish gear"...you get the point.

Super Dave

QuoteAccording to some on this site, you don't deserve anything because your not an expert  ::)

Bingo, you're getting it...

You need something marketable.  That's the key.  If what you do is marketable to a segment of the population that might buy something, then you've got something to sell.

And you do have to ask.  But, in racing, everyone shows up with empty pockets and in need of product.  

So, you've got to decide what you're selling.

If you're an amateur racer with little experience, how can a product sway other racers to buy it?  You'd have to show results?  

Racing IS expensive.  And after all this time, it's still expensive to me.  But with experience comes knowledge, and that has taught me what I don't need.

The biggest pitfall for new racers is buying "stupid" products.  All you need is bodywork (required), tires (like insurance), brake lines, a bike (your investment), and suspension that is set up and ready to work (another investment).  You don't necessarily need exhaust, Power Commanders, and all that garb.  Yeah, gearing is good, and I'd recommend that.  Keep it simple.  That still applies to my racing now.
Super Dave

StumpysWife

For Stumpy's first year, he got a lot of local cash sponsors and some product.  He has a lot of good contacts from his sign business so he took advantage of who he knows.  It wasn't tons of money, but it was a nice chunk.  In return he could provide their logo on his trailer and patches on his leather.  The sponsors received newsletters after every race with photos.  This year, local sponsors are asking him to sponsor him.  

I've upped the amount of info released to the local media as well.  So far this year he has had a front page of the sports section feature as well as an article on his Topeka results, both listing all his sponsors and with photos.  If you can't write a decent press release (or know what one is), learn or find a buddy who can.  This is goofy, but everywhere we go now, people recognize him as Stumpy, the guy who races motorcycles.  It's very embarrassing for him,  but he's learned that to sell your program, you have to sell yourself.  

Get some sponsors and take care of the ones you have.  That's the key.

Hope this helps.

Heather

Jeff

S.D. hit the nail on the head saying you have to be marketable.

As a first year amateur, I had 2 companies providing me better sponsorship than they did to their AMA teams.  Why?!? Because I was driving business to them.

Sponsorship isn't about slapping on a sticker and winning races.  It's about increasing the bottom line of your sponsors.  Prove to them that you're worth the money/product they're giving you and you will do fine.  

In the last few years, I've had to turn DOWN people requesting to sponsor me, so that I could ensure proper representation of those who are sponsoring me.  

I run a good advertising program through some websites that I own, and it turns around the support 10 fold.  In 2003, my sponsors kicked in around $20k in support.  However, for one of them alone, I drove over $30k in business in one month to their store.

It's all about trade...  The barter system is alive and well with me.  

Last year I had a guy call me "the something for nothing guy".  I quickly corrected him in stating that if he'd rather I charge him for my advertisements of his business, I'd gladly pay for his services.  He shut up.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

If you really want to know how it works, try being on the other end.

I've sponsored riders for various things that I've done over the years.  Putting your money where your mouth is can make a big difference in the support you can achieve.

The other side of sponsorship involves relationships.  Again, as someone that is new, what can you offer?  Find people to work with, and maintain those relationships.  Sometimes, those things develop into bigger programs.

I started working with Vanson Leathers in 1991 as part of my contract to the Roscetti Corportation, then the importer for Bimota Motorcycles in North America.  I still wear Vanson Leathers, I've worn development leathers in testing, and when I expanded my school program, it was their idea that I should have Vanson rental leathers.  

Some racers jump from thing to thing trying to dry out the wells trying to find $$.  This isn't cheap.  The only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one...almost like farming.  If you can figure that part out first and learn to have fun first, life's a lot easier as a racer, even at the AMA Pro level.

Rossi still races because it's fun.  When it stops being fun, you can probably bet that he'll do something else.
Super Dave

VPFL

Just read this post and noticed something that seemed to be missing in all of the replies.

When asking someone for $$- go in person with resume in hand. Dress as you would for a job interview. Research the product the company sells, so you can speak intelligently about it.

We always look for someone that can go beyond the obvious and explain how things work and why they work - not just that they work.

When you are leaving the business, ask them for brochures on their products so you can begin handing them out during Fri/Sat practice. Be proactive- this shows the company you are genuinely interested in representing them and will go the distance.

Purse strings are tight everywhere you turn. The business owner wants to know he is getting something for his $$ - other than a big smile on your face ;)

Enough insight for a Fri night.
Lisa
VP Southeast

lil_thorny

QuoteAccording to some on this site, you don't deserve anything because your not an expert  ::)

that may be true...but especially when they get passed by yellow plates ;D

Dawn

I sponsor Paul with my job.....   ::)

With work, family, and school activities, we don't have the energy to woo sponsors.  So, we're happy with the Lockhart Phillips program and the contengency's offered by the manufacturers.  We do however, when we believe in a product (more often the person behind that product) become an advocate for that person or product.

Dawn   :)

OmniGLH

Some really good advice here.

I am by NO means an expert on this stuff, but we've managed to secure a few decent sponsorships for the past two years now, so here's some of my thoughts:

First off, allow me to sound like a broken record by repeating what everyone else here has to say - you need to think of this, and treat it, like a business.  A sponsor needs to see this ADD to their bottom line.

Running someone's sticker on your bike, or their patch on your leathers, really means nothing to them.  Face it - how often do YOU purchase a product, simply because you saw somebody with a sticker on their bike?  Probably never.  Companies know this.  So telling them that you'll run their stickers in exchange for a $5,000 donation is a line of BS.  You know it.  They know it too... heck, motorcycle-industry companies can smell it coming a mile away.  What you need to do is show them a GOOD business deal - one that will be a positive investment, NOT an expense.   This is a LOT easier to do, when you're asking a company that you already believe in, or already have a relationship with.  Don't go around with your hands out, asking anyone who looks at you.  Be selective.  Pick people and companies who you would WANT to represent.  And then, let them KNOW that you put thought into picking them.  

As for the resume itself - I don't think it's necessary to keep it at one page.  Our resume (for 2 riders) is currently 6 pages.  We included head shots of each of us, as well as 1 action photo of each.  We provide a budget breakdown which projects our annual expenses, so they can see where our money is going.  It is printed entirely on watermarked resume paper, and professionally bound at Kinko's.  DON'T use those cheesy book report covers you can get at K-mart.  Spend the money, and get them bound professionally.  All it takes is ONE good sponsorship to MORE than make up for the costs of the binding.  I can tell you that we obtained TWO sponsorships last year (both "A-Level") simply because our resume looked so good (yes, they called us both times to tell us this.)  Put time into it, it's worth it, believe me.  I think Dan and I have close to 40 hours into assembling ours.

MAKE SURE that it is DIRECT and TO THE POINT.  Don't be wishy-washy.  Tell them what you want.  Tell them what you will give them in return.  This is very important - the potential sponsor doesn't have the time to "interpret" your resume.

And one other thing that someone mentioned here that I also think is very important (it's helped us out anyways) - is present the resume IN PERSON.  Dress up.  Treat it like a job interview, and a sales pitch, all in one.  Get them excited about the sport, let them know that they too can be a part of it.  Show them your enthusiasm and excitement - it's contagious.  

And don't forget to look OUTSIDE the motorcycle industry for sponsors.  Last year, only 10% of our sponsors were non-motorcycle-industry, but yet they provided nearly 90% of our sponsorship-related income.   Realizing this, we concentrated our efforts towards outside-industry companies for the 2004 season.  We've spent HALF the effort, and have already tripled our sponsorship income over 2003.  And we're not done - we're still in discussions to renew our biggest sponsor from last year.  

Good luck.  I'm going to stop now before I give away all of our secrets.  ;)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

digitalRoost

Thanks for all the awesome responses so far everyone. They are definitely helping. I haven't secured anything but I feel a little better about what I need to do to get something. Thanks.

gpracer171

I saw people say that you have to have a marketable product. Correct, however that should not mean results only. As a business owner, I would take lower results for a better marketing campaign for my product. Also, a very professional team over a junk equipment/image team. It really is the little things and it is pretty easy to stand out in the pits if you try.

Check out our team site for ideas
www.mcracing.org

Also, I got a fair amount of support before my first race ever just by asking.

Another idea for results is to team up with an established racer with results. Split the support you get with that experienced racer and it is a win for you both. Even more beneficial is that you will probably learn volumes from that racer. As you will see, I have a new racer on the team that is a friend that I told I would help out. I offered to add him for his benefit and to give something back to the younger racers, I had great mentors and want to pass on that help and give back. When I added him to the team all of the sponsors gave him the same deals I had and it is double the exposure in their eyes.

I hope that helps.
Email me if you have any questions, you can find it on the site

Mike

Eddie#200

I dunno if I would have posted the first time on the bike pic, Mike... ;D ;D ;D

Jeff

QuoteThanks for all the awesome responses so far everyone. They are definitely helping. I haven't secured anything but I feel a little better about what I need to do to get something. Thanks.

So, what are you trying to get, and what do you have to offer?

Another tactic you can and should always use is that of the discount.  Get something at dealer cost, or if you're working with a manufacturer, get manufacture cost.

Example
It's easier for an exhaust manufacturer to sell you a full system at material cost ($325 or so, retail $1100) than to give it to you.

They win because they have virtually no investment.  You win because you're getting a product cheaper than any other place possible.

Then you promote the hell out of it which puts money and faith back in the sponsor who will in turn sponsor you BETTER next year...  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

gpracer171

Eddie #200

Thanks for visiting the site. I guess it is ok if that is your only criticism.

Mike
 ::)