News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

sponsorship questions

Started by digitalRoost, April 12, 2004, 04:39:28 PM

digitalRoost

First off, WHAZZZUUPP?!?! First post so I thought I'd say Hi, how's it hangin?

I'm also new to racing and after 2 race weekends I figured out that I don't have the money to keep doing this. I know, should have been obvious but it wasn't.

What I'm wondering is how you go about getting people to sponsor you? Is it possible to get a sponsorship if you're an amateur and not the 2nd coming? What I'd REALLY like is either some support on tires or someone to donate suspension parts (I'm 215 lbs. running stock suspension) in return for listing on my site, sponsor listing, etc. Is that a reasonable request?

Basically, how does that whole thing work and what do I need to do to get the ball rolling? Flame away...

MELK-MAN

QuoteFirst off, WHAZZZUUPP?!?! First post so I thought I'd say Hi, how's it hangin?

I'm also new to racing and after 2 race weekends I figured out that I don't have the money to keep doing this. I know, should have been obvious but it wasn't.

What I'm wondering is how you go about getting people to sponsor you? Is it possible to get a sponsorship if you're an amateur and not the 2nd coming? What I'd REALLY like is either some support on tires or someone to donate suspension parts (I'm 215 lbs. running stock suspension) in return for listing on my site, sponsor listing, etc. Is that a reasonable request?

Basically, how does that whole thing work and what do I need to do to get the ball rolling? Flame away...

when you find out.. PM me.. :)
in the meantime, pick a tire and take advantage of all the contingency you can. Fill out the proper forms at each race, get the stickers, etc.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

cornercamping

According to some on this site, you don't deserve anything because your not an expert  ::)

Bah.. my suggestion would be to ask around to the places you do business with.  Any local bike shops? How about where you work.  May not be work related industry, but hey, you never know.  All advertising is beneficial  ;)

MZGirl

Here are my lessons learned on sponsorship.

http://www.precisionstrikeracing.com/sponsorship.html

I got sponsored after only 3 race weekends.  All you have to do is ask.  Many don't even do that.

Good luck!

digitalRoost

QuoteHere are my lessons learned on sponsorship.

http://www.precisionstrikeracing.com/sponsorship.html

I got sponsored after only 3 race weekends.  All you have to do is ask.  Many don't even do that.

Good luck!
Thanks for the link...that helps. What does a good resume look like though? Have any examples you can share? brianjkirkland@yahoo.com

spyderchick

A good resume should be eyecatching but simple. Tell the truth, and don't embellish too much.

Things to include:
One good race photo
A nice head shot of you
Your accomplishments
Your goals
What you can bring to the table
What you want (Don't be too pie-in-the-sky and don't ask for too little.

Remember, this person or business is busy and hasn't alot of time to read a novella. Be concise. Be professional. If they require a contract, read it. And remember, sponsorship (money or goods) is considered income by the government. Consult an accountant in your area to learn about proper record keeping.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

MZGirl

Race resumes are much like job resumes. The more professional looking, the better. Put a lot of thought and work into it, and it will impress the company you are applying to.

What to include on a resume: your name, address, phone #, e-mail, and website URL (if you have one). List the make and model of bike(s) you are going to race. List the organizations you hold a racing license with. Briefly list your experience/results. If you've raced, list what classes you raced. If you've never raced, list the number of track days you've done in the past. List the tracks you have experience on. If you've volunteered as a cornerworker or for the racing organization, put that down. Play up your experience and accomplishments, even if they seem small. Next is the goals section. This is the most important section. Let them know which classes you plan to compete in and with which racing organizations. For my first year of racing, my main goal was to get as much racing experience as possible. It wasn't until my second year of racing when I started putting down actual result-related goals (finish top 5 of such-and-such class, win such-and-such class championship).

Racing resumes should be organized well, and no more than 1 page. Print it out on nice resume paper (with a watermark). The cover letter is where you can tailor everything to the company you are applying to. Be specific in what you are asking for as far as sponsorship. Let them know how you will keep them updated, how you will use their products, etc.

Hope that helps.

251am

Lockhart Phillips Privateer program, and tire contingency forms. Both help a lot. Go from there.

digitalRoost

QuoteLockhart Phillips Privateer program, and tire contingency forms. Both help a lot. Go from there.
Thx...already signed up with LP and I fill out the tire forms every race weekend. Those *will* help a lot eventually.

digitalRoost

QuoteThings to include:
One good race photo
Does anyone know if there are photographers for CCS at the SW or Pacific region events? I see a photos section on the website, but they seem to be LPUSA photos. My camera's zoom sucks so all I have is "dude (or dudeette) on black bike with redish gear following dude on yellowish bike with blackish gear"...you get the point.

Super Dave

QuoteAccording to some on this site, you don't deserve anything because your not an expert  ::)

Bingo, you're getting it...

You need something marketable.  That's the key.  If what you do is marketable to a segment of the population that might buy something, then you've got something to sell.

And you do have to ask.  But, in racing, everyone shows up with empty pockets and in need of product.  

So, you've got to decide what you're selling.

If you're an amateur racer with little experience, how can a product sway other racers to buy it?  You'd have to show results?  

Racing IS expensive.  And after all this time, it's still expensive to me.  But with experience comes knowledge, and that has taught me what I don't need.

The biggest pitfall for new racers is buying "stupid" products.  All you need is bodywork (required), tires (like insurance), brake lines, a bike (your investment), and suspension that is set up and ready to work (another investment).  You don't necessarily need exhaust, Power Commanders, and all that garb.  Yeah, gearing is good, and I'd recommend that.  Keep it simple.  That still applies to my racing now.
Super Dave

StumpysWife

For Stumpy's first year, he got a lot of local cash sponsors and some product.  He has a lot of good contacts from his sign business so he took advantage of who he knows.  It wasn't tons of money, but it was a nice chunk.  In return he could provide their logo on his trailer and patches on his leather.  The sponsors received newsletters after every race with photos.  This year, local sponsors are asking him to sponsor him.  

I've upped the amount of info released to the local media as well.  So far this year he has had a front page of the sports section feature as well as an article on his Topeka results, both listing all his sponsors and with photos.  If you can't write a decent press release (or know what one is), learn or find a buddy who can.  This is goofy, but everywhere we go now, people recognize him as Stumpy, the guy who races motorcycles.  It's very embarrassing for him,  but he's learned that to sell your program, you have to sell yourself.  

Get some sponsors and take care of the ones you have.  That's the key.

Hope this helps.

Heather