The Rules Break Down for Newbies...

Started by cornercamping, April 05, 2004, 09:37:02 AM

cornercamping

Alright, here's the cliffnotes version of what each org. requires to race a bike. The list includes both CCS and WERA racing and EVERYTHING on this list is MANDATORY for the respective org.

The Bike:

CCS-

Saftey Wire:

Oil Drain Plug
Oil Fill Cap
Oil Filter
Radiator Cap

Number Plates:

Yellow Backround (amature)
White Backround (expert)
Front numbers 8" tall x 1" wide (required)
Rear numbers 6" tall x 1" wide (required) both sides
Helmet Numbers (on each side, required)

Note: If you cannot fit the front numbers in the center of the front fairing, you can place them on one side, but it has to be on the scoring tower side so the numbers are visible to the tower as you pass by.  

Other Tech-

Some Japanese Bikes (ALL GSXR'S) MUST have side cases replaced with aftermarket.  This is incase you crash, the cases don't crack and you leave oil all over the track.  Check the rulebook to see if your bike HAS TO HAVE these cases.  ALL GSXR's and some of the Yamaha's have to have it.  Check the rulebook.

Things you have to remove:

ALL stock lights
Mirrors
Side Stand (make sure to bypass safety switch)

To be continued..

dwilson

Allow me to add my $.02  8)

Don't plan on using an aftermarket oil cooler...

You need to have a belly pan or your body work has to be closed on the bottom to catch the oil if you blow your motor.  

Put some gasket goop around oil gallery plugs (large allen head plugs that screw into your cases).

Safety wire axle pinch bolts.

Flush your cooling system and refill with striaght water, you can use watter wetter to keep your water pump lubed if you like.

You need valve caps on your tire's valve stems.

Make sure your fork seals don't leak (or anything else, duh...)

Crank breather and carb overflows have to be routed to a catch can of at least 350cc (I use a small brake fluid bottle attached with zip ties).  You can route the crank breather to the air box if you want.

Bring an extra $50 in case the tech inspector needs "convincing*  ;D  (that's a joke!)

Eric Kelcher

Don sorry to have to correct you but Proplene Gylcol Antifreeze is legal and for those in regions where freezing is a very real concern I would recomend it. For other regions the pure water/water wetter has a better transfeer of heat so the bike (in general) will run cooler. Upside is that Engine Ice and Evans have higher boiling point so  bike will run hotter but it won't boil over.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteUpside is that Engine Ice and Evans have higher boiling point so  bike will run hotter but it won't boil over.

THose are finally legal now?  ;D LAst time I askde they were a no-no.  ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Eric Kelcher

They have been legal since 2000 I know for a fact.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Super Dave

QuoteUpside is that Engine Ice and Evans have higher boiling point so  bike will run hotter but it won't boil over.

Yeah, you can take off your radiator cap after racing...really.

Evans NPG is legal...it's PG, but NPG Plus has ethelyne glycol...it's not.
Super Dave

speedster_1

I don't think you have to wire the raditor cap.  I didn't and passed tech....I don't recall it in the rule book either.  ::)  If your in doubt wire it....locktite everthing else!

I believe the raditor drain plug(s) have to be wired but not 100%  ???  I did just in case.

Don't forget to wire your caliper bolts.  

tzracer

Radiator caps and coolant drain plugs do not have to be wired.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Nate R

Coolant drain plugs are not "engine drain plugs?"

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

tzracer

I have never wired mine.

CCS has always been fill plugs and drain plugs with oil behind them have to be wired.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

QuoteCoolant drain plugs are not "engine drain plugs?"

That was always my thought.  Always wired mine.
Super Dave

Rrider

QuoteCrank breather and carb overflows have to be routed to a catch can of at least 350cc (I use a small brake fluid bottle attached with zip ties).  You can route the crank breather to the air box if you want.

The rule states:
"If ventilation is routed to a catch can, the overflow tube from the catch can must be routed into the intake area of the
carburetors so that any overflow from the catch can will be drawn into the engine."

Does this mean the catch can must be routed to the airbox (if the bike has an airbox)?