News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SCREW WERA'S...

Started by cornercamping, April 04, 2004, 07:06:47 PM

cornercamping

RULE BOOK !   I'm tired of saftey wiring.  Spent all damn day, and I'm still not done  >:(  Been breaking drill bits all day.   I'm about to call YoYodyne and order predrilled bolts, ect.  >:(
Rant over.

I NEED BEER  ;D

stumpy

I heard that! I had the big idea of safety wiring my header bolts, First bolt, 2 bits later I found myself onto another project, I am a regular loctite user though.

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Steviebee

dude   it sucks the big balls   TOTALLY.

go out and buy a cheap drill press,  i got one for 80 bucks at harber frieght.

its great for dilling bolts.

cornercamping

I'm still trying to figure out the header bolt thing.  Who came up with that one, I don't know.  If your exhaust falls off in a race, you have more problems than just the exhaust pipe sliding down the track.   ;D

cornercamping

Quotedude   it sucks the big balls   TOTALLY.

go out and buy a cheap drill press,  i got one for 80 bucks at harber frieght.

its great for dilling bolts.

I have one already.  Tried that, still breaking bits.  I've tried, WD40, Mobil 1, ect. to keep it lubed.  I'm going at a slow speed, and still broke more bits than I can count.  Hell, I'm even using the good bits.  Bosch Titanium bits  ???  The damn bolts are hard.  Seem to be harder on this GSXR than they were on my old R6  ???

Woofentino Pugrossi

Ya know Motion Pro has safety wire drilling jigs for bolts and nuts.:D:D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

cornercamping

QuoteYa know Motion Pro has safety wire drilling jigs for bolts and nuts.:D:D

I have one.  ;D

dwilson

I've spent more time on a drill press than I care to think about...
If you're breaking bits than you're flexing the bit.  I'm not crazy about the titanium bits either, I like the carbide ones at home depot for about $3-$4 per.  Make sure you're using a punch to mark where you want the hole as it'll make entry easier on the bit, use real light pressure when you get close to the other side of the bolt, they're usually case hardened and the outsides are harder than the insides so that's where the bits like to break.  

fzr400tony

QuoteI'm still trying to figure out the header bolt thing.  Who came up with that one, I don't know.  If your exhaust falls off in a race, you have more problems than just the exhaust pipe sliding down the track.   ;D

i let a friend help me do some work to my bike.  he didn't tighten the header bolts and both bolts came off the #2 or 3 cylinder at vir.  i though the motor went south.  a lot of worry because i didn't re-wire the header and didn't check a friend's work.  

it happened as i went under the bridge at vir, scared the crap out of me.  i'm glad i was on a relatively straight section and could look to see if i had a smoke screen behind me.  

the rules may be a pain in the ass, but they're there for a reason.

anyway, just my $.02

oh yeah, i bought three gold-colored bits from sears for next to nothing and still have one left after doing two bikes.  they were cheap and they work.  just don't use too much pressure.

ekraft84

You guys know WERA doesn't require you to wire exhaust header bolts this year right?  :)

I still wire the front header bolts and the rear ones (depending on my patience level at the time).

FWIW, the drill press is a good investment.  It makes the whole process so much easier.
Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

cornercamping

QuoteYou guys know WERA doesn't require you to wire exhaust header bolts this year right?  :)

I still wire the front header bolts and the rear ones (depending on my patience level at the time).

FWIW, the drill press is a good investment.  It makes the whole process so much easier.

I'm in the process of making a thread labeled "The Rules Break Down."   This thread will be in the tech section for all newbies on what each org. requires.  Even though it's in the rulebook, the cliff notes version isn't as scary. I'm gonna list the basic tech stuff that needs to be done for each racing org. to put it on the track.   ;D  Hell, after years of looking at them, the rulebooks still intimidate me too.  :D

clutch

yeah, I think they are a bit excessive on wire.  You even have to do your brake pad pins if they are the screw in type with no stock retaining clip.  Like the GSXR750 style.  No more header wiring though.