?cannot find grid position?

Started by r6_philly, September 09, 2002, 04:13:42 PM

r6_philly

I thought that if you cannot find your correct grid postion, you would have to start from the back of the grid. Well this wasn't enforeced this past weekend.

sunday 9/8 at summit point, I entered the Unlimited GP AM race. Got a good grid, starting on the 5th row. I finished the warm up lap, and proceeded to my grid. As everyone getting ready for the race, this guy creeped up the side of the track and conviniently in front of me. the row in front of me only had 3 positions and he was the 4th guy there! So there he was, left foot 1 foot from the grass, and ride elbow 2 feet from the next guy, blocking my way. I was confused... he wasn't supposed to be there. And I had NO space getting around him.

Flag drops, he chocked on his start. I had to brake to avoid not hitting him. by the time I got around him, the entire first wave has gone into turn 1, and I was behind almost everyone!!! Spent the next lap clawing my way back while cussing profusely, I end up finishing 14th.

Could I have signaled grid marshal? Everyone had settled into the 4-3-4-3 grids and there was no room for him where he stopped. could have caused a huge problem, had I not be able to avoid him. messing up my start and chance for some $$ aside :-p

skydiver19

I've seen the grid marshals intervene a couple of times and direct someone to their correct grid position, but normally they just make note of that person to receive the meatball flag.  I'm curious, did he get meatballed?

r6_philly

QuoteI've seen the grid marshals intervene a couple of times and direct someone to their correct grid position, but normally they just make note of that person to receive the meatball flag.  I'm curious, did he get meatballed?

I did not see the person's comp #, so when I came around to complete lap 1, I saw #123 got meatball'ed. But the final result saw #123 finishing just 2 spots behind me. He did not come in, I saw the pit in official signal him down and talked to him after the race, but the result did not see him get disqualified or docked a lap. And I don't know if this is the same person for sure. Either way, I don't think his infraction (whoever he was) affected his race result.