News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Daytona'04  R.O.C CANCELED !!!!

Started by BERZERKER, March 24, 2004, 07:38:37 AM

Rawrider

QuoteI made the trip last year to Daytona.  Neat track.  had fun-  Four days out, four days there, three days home.  I am not too interested in doing that ever again.  If this club is going to continue to hold the championship race in Florida every year, it will not be respective of all the distant regions.  Move it to a new location each year.

My votes for this year-

Las Vegas-  Speedway course.  Not run by any region.  more centrally located, and the room rates are a bit better than Daytona during Biketober (what do you mean they are racing on the track) fest.  

Laguna Seca-  Great road course.  Not run by any region.  Tough to get by the noise restrictions.  Worht the time and effort if we could get it.

Infineon (Sear's Point)-  run by the AFM, newly paved-  weather is still good in October.  Not run by the CCS affiliates.

Texas Motor Speedway-  Centrally located, but, I hear "them boys in Texas is fast".  They would have home turf and kick "all-yalls"  asses.  

Road Atlanta-  Too bad the Gravity Cavity is gone.  

No vote for Homstaed-  why on earth would I want to add to my trip from the west Coast to head there?

WERA west is looking more and more apealing to me for next season.

I totally agree!! The western regions get no love! Oh and Dave, Formula USA is scheduled for the classic  course(outside the main track) not the Speedway course(inside and much nicer). According to the posted schedule. I vote for Bouncing the National around. You will always have some who'll complain no matter where it is.....  .02

StuartV666

QuoteIt'd be nice to do the Road A(tlanta) thing, but CCS will do what they gotta do... I still like Stu's comments... ;D

Thanks! Me too! :-) Apparently, nobody else has bothered to read them, or cares to address them.

I think CCS has done this to restore the balance to the Force that was lost when WERA heaped on a bunch more money this year, in the form of "extra cost" transponders. I guess too many riders were jumping ship to CCS, and CCS needed to do something to make an equal number of riders jump ship to WERA.  :o

- Stu

StuartV666

QuoteWell Well Well,.... Who woke Stu up from the dead? ;)

When will I see you at the track dude?

Heh heh. I'm just glad to be here!  :D

I'm back to riding my dirt bike and my street bike. But I still have one more surgery to go. Just waiting on my insurance company to get their act together to approve it before I can schedule it. I should be ready to get back on the track 2 - 3 months after the next surgery. Or, if they screw around long enough, I might make a track day or two before the surgery.  ;D

- Stu

GAMEDIC

Quote. Or, if they screw around long enough, I might make a track day or two before the surgery.  ;D

- Stu
watch yourself ;D we want you back...but we want you to STAY back...lol..not leave again

Super Dave

QuoteOh and Dave, Formula USA is scheduled for the classic  course(outside the main track) not the Speedway course(inside and much nicer). According to the posted schedule. I vote for Bouncing the National around. You will always have some who'll complain no matter where it is.....  .02
Complaining regardless...yeah.

I knew the Vegas FUSA race was on the classic course.  I see where I implied something I didn't mean from someones statement...

Bouncing the national event around...

Can it be done?  DIS was a big factor in getting CCS started.  The opportunity to have an event at a place like Daytona at the beginning of Bike Week and during Biketober Fest is potentially the best opportunity.  If CCS were to let it go, surely, someone else would come take it.  

When you don't renew those dates, they are hard to get back.  Sometimes impossible.  The Enduro cart guys go to DIS for their ROC gig right around Xmas...try telling your family every year that you'll be gone every Christmas...

Moving it around...we talked about this a lot months ago.  First, an appropriate track that has favorable weather at the aformentioned time (Oct/Nov) and is large enough to accomodate ROC size fields.  That should be grids of about 80 bikes.  You need one mile for every 20 to 25 bikes potentially to have a safe and reasonable density.

Road America is out because of weather, as is Brainerd.

You'd also need to get riders to show up.

By what I understand about the western CCS races, there aren't as many entries.  So, while a western ROC might be nice, I doubt that many from the Midwest would make it to Vegas or Phoenix at about 2000 miles. let alone Willow at further.  Add mileage to the hot beds of racing in the Northeast and the Southeast...

WERA hasn't moved their GNF.

Suzuki moved the Suzuki Cup Final from the WERA GNF once in like 1988 to California.  Was a bust attendance wise, I believe.  Moved back to Road Atlanta and has been there ever since.  Certainly, Mel Harris has had the offer to have it at other venues.

Regardless, for those that wanted a different venue, Homestead is actually different.  Yup, it'll cost me another six to seven hours to get to along with maybe $40 of diesel...

We'll see what it's like when I get there.
Super Dave

BERZERKER

Rick, I was there with you remember? It's bad enough that the FL region has a reputation for getting your equipment stolen, but gunfights outside your hotel room adds a whole new dimension...
" ..roadracing motorcycles maked heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty..." P.E

hdpromos

Wow, "gun fights", "thieves", "puny grids", "isolation", "bad weather forcast"! :o Sounds like the Florida Region has it all at Homestead! But the truth of the matter is that "Berzerker" seems to have gone "Berzerk"! Seems he's got an "ax to grind"? ::)

HD

the_weggie_man

I didn't read this entire thread so if this has been brought up, sorry.

Daytona or I should say International Speedway Corporation owns Homestead. That simply is the reason the ROC has been moved there.

I know they own other tracks but do not know if any of them have a roadcourse.

On the subject of moving the ROC around the country. It would be a nightmare for CCS to do that. Once you have a date at a track you want to keep it because once you give it up, it may be gone forever.

I never really liked the idea of the ROC at Daytona. I feel it should be at a more rider friendly track rather than the horsepower emporium that is Daytona.  

For some reason CCS has/had an idea that going to Daytona is neat because it's such a great vacation destination. I would like to know how many racers actually use this as vacation rather than just another race weekend.  As noted in the press (www.roadracingworld.com) CCS states the move to Homestead is nice because it "provides a great vacation destination".  Seems they should ask Roger Edmondson about that since he lost over $20K of AMA money when a briefcase was stolen out of his car at the track.

If you go I suggest very strident security measures.
I don't think I'll be making the trip.

hdpromos

Gordon, pardon me if I may correct you. Roger Edmondson did not have his briefcase stolen out of his car at the AMA National in Miami in the early 90's. The briefcase was set down on the street by the AMA Director of racing at the time (whose name I can't recall). An accident happened and during that time the briefcase was lifted. I recall, because I happened to be speaking to Bill Boyce when it happened. I'm sure Roger would give you even more detail on that as he had nothing to do with it. It could happen anywhere, not just Miami.

HD

chris17

Gunfights?  I've been to Homestead a few times and have never heard of any gunfights!!!  Never had any problems at all for that matter.

hooter31

ON A POSITIVE NOTE...THE TRACK IS AWESUM,THE GARAGES ARE NICE,YOU CAN GO ABOVE THE GARAGE AND BE IN THE STANDS AND SEE OVER 80% OF THE TRACK...AND IF YOU'RE GOING THERE, HOMESTED IS THE LAST TOWN BEFORE THE KEYS(GREAT VACATION PLACE)                                          

lil_thorny

Like last year, I will be basing my decisions on the caliber of adult entertainment venues near the tracks that i attend. Blackhawk.. has "Diamond Jims"
where works the sweet Nicole.  lets not forget all the wonderful "Hooters" girls either. My goal this year is to bring them to the track.... ;D
Yes, I am a pig...but I race to have fun and I love
everything in between...So there. Daytona was a blast... Russ Voigt and I hung out with The Tuttles,
Jessie James, and Billy Lane...all at the "club"
Dafan...think about the women man....it's all about the fans!!! Chicks dig motorcycles....
Oh wait...this should be on another thread:
why I race.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Benji (Official Dave's Kid)