Vinyl backing or paint?

Started by 251am, March 21, 2004, 05:10:41 AM

251am

Went to order the shaped vinyl backing for the front upper, and it was discontinued from LP and Parts Unlimited. Tried to fit a square piece on front and ended up with a mess. Do most of you guys paint or is there a shaped vinyl out there yet? TIA

tzracer

Mine are painted.

I have gotten the sticky vinyl backing to work on compound curves using a hair dryer and patience. Painting is a better option.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Woofentino Pugrossi

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

tigerblade

Used vinyl last year, painted on this year.  Paint es muy better.   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

r6_philly

you can always mount the vinyl better by cutting relief lines in the plate when going over curved surface. I would cut a horizontal line from both side and fold the lower half over the upper half, then trip the extra material that is overlapping. you can always heat up the vinyl, then try to stretch it to fit when it is warm and soft. But I found the cutting relief lines so much easier and less time consuming.

tshort

How do you paint the plates on, if the bodywork has already been painted in a single color?  Just mask it off, sand it down and go?  Or is there a trick to it to get a clean paint join line between the two colors?
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

EM JAY

QuoteHow do you paint the plates on, if the bodywork has already been painted in a single color?  Just mask it off, sand it down and go?  Or is there a trick to it to get a clean paint join line between the two colors?

Puttin' on the white plates eh Tom?   ;)
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

tshort

Quote Puttin' on the white plates eh Tom?   ;)

Yeah...and still feeling like a yellow-plater...  :-/
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Zac

QuoteHow do you paint the plates on, if the bodywork has already been painted in a single color?  Just mask it off, sand it down and go?  Or is there a trick to it to get a clean paint join line between the two colors?

Mask, sand and go.  After it's dry and you've removed the masking, the trick to getting a nice edge is to get some pinstripe tape (available at most autoparts stores) and border the plate, covering the mask line.  It takes a little practice to lay the pinstripe tape on, but it will form very tight curves.

-z.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteMask, sand and go.  After it's dry and you've removed the masking, the trick to getting a nice edge is to get some pinstripe tape (available at most autoparts stores) and border the plate, covering the mask line.  It takes a little practice to lay the pinstripe tape on, but it will form very tight curves.

-z.

Thats what I did. Used chameleon pinstripe I got from work.:D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

For two years...vinyl.

But I get it from Blast Graphics in the Hartland, WI area...And the do all of my decals.  My colors, my sizes, etc.

Maryann rocks....

262-367-1062
Super Dave

Steviebee

Stumpy's entire "paint" job is vinyl !!