How much $$$ are a set of take-offs?

Started by gforeman, September 04, 2002, 08:37:44 PM

gforeman

Looking for a set of race take-offs for upcoming track day at Summit Point for my TLR.  What do a decent set of these usually gor for?

PS, I'll be at SP this weekend, camera in hand!

Brett

I would say from $60 to $100 a set. I have some I will sell you for $70

ccs354

You will probably be able to find sets at Summit Point this weekend.  

Gary Foreman

My problem is I'm not sure what to look for.  I've never had anything but new tires on the bike.  This TL is heavy and I've been known to roll the rubber off the edges on my street tires on Rt. 211, so I want something that will serve me well, and not be totally toast by the end of the day.  A few extra dollars for a set that will not be showing chord by the end of the day is not a problem.

Gary

gforeman

Let me add that they don't have to last me more than one track day.

sportbikepete

Gary mine are far from fried, at least 2 track days left in them. I will work with you on dollar amount but the ones I have are well worth it, you can see for yourself at Summit.

gforeman

What does it mean if they get that sort of bluish tint?  I've seen ones that have a lot of tread, but that funny tint to them.

sportbikepete

Here is what I've been TOLD about blueing. When they blue it means they have gone through several heat cycles. Wear is not what kills a race tire it is heat cycles.

Jeff

QuoteHere is what I've been TOLD about blueing. When they blue it means they have gone through several heat cycles. Wear is not what kills a race tire it is heat cycles.

True that heat cycles play more of a part on a tire than wear does, but you can 'blue' a tire on one heat session if you get it hot enough.

I have ridden on blue tires before with no problems.  

One word of caution.  DOTs are MUCH easier to tell than SLICKS are for wear.  I have a set of slicks which are completely shot, but look the same as the day I put them on (used from 3 races).  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

TightSqueeze

QuoteWhat does it mean if they get that sort of bluish tint?  I've seen ones that have a lot of tread, but that funny tint to them.
Blued tires are like a burnt marshmellow, once you slid the crunchy part off, the sweet, sticky center tastes just as good on your s'more.

Ride cautiously until the blue is gone, which should be 2-3 laps.  Then hammer away.

I ran 3.5 practices and 2 solo's at Nelson last weeked on some blued slicks.  Once you rub it off, the tire is fine.  Being that you're running at "Track Day" speeds, you won't have a problem.

Cant Remember

If money is not a big deal, then why the hell don't you just get a new set at the track?  Scrubbs won't last a full practice day.  Especially if you have been known to peel rubber on the street as you've stated.  You must be pretty fast...

gforeman

QuoteIf money is not a big deal, then why the hell don't you just get a new set at the track?  Scrubbs won't last a full practice day.  Especially if you have been known to peel rubber on the street as you've stated.  You must be pretty fast...

211 is kind of our local "Deals Gap".  I got a really decent set of 208 GP's that should do well.  I never said money wasn't an issue, just that a "Few" dollars difference didn't matter.  The fact that I got the set for $75 compared to $300 did make a difference.  Thanks to all who replied.

I shot over 400 photos over the weekend.  They are coming.  Need to Post-Process and get them up on the website.