News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What it's like to crash at 180 mph

Started by 993twin, March 08, 2004, 04:43:00 PM

MZGirl

Quote Mostly is the fact that the guy never came up and said anything, etc.

Probably a chicken.   >:(  I've been taken out too (much lower speed) and the one who did it never said anything.  So I can understand your frustration.

Glad you "walked away" from that crash!  And no broken bones?  Wow!   :o

993twin

Hey Bart,

Yeah crazy crash...and basically walked away.

I think the guy was probably a combination of chicken and freaked out.  Personally, I think what happened was that the guy knew he hit me, and hit me hard...he 'prolly saw me go down, and then next thing ya know, the race is immediately red-flagged.  Ambulance goes roaring out in one direction, with the crash truck goes roaring out in another (to put out my on-fire bike).  At that point, he 'prolly raced backed to his pit, packed his shite up and left ASAP, thinking he had killed someone....

Still...not heard a word yet.   I think it might be time to contact him....

Bart #72

Definately contact him and let us all know how it went.

Did you race at all for the rest of the weekend on your ducati?
Need paint or  Race / Track bodywork?  PM or email me at dcpaintworx@gmail.com for pricing on Armour Bodies bodywork.

cuda

Your bike didn't happen to catch fire did it?

ddk732

dude, was that your bike at tech? that thing was mangled! :o glad to hear you're all right. my crew and looked that thing over and were in shock of the damage!

993twin

Hey Bart,

i didn't race the Ducati, unfortunately...loose hose clamp around the fuel filter!  Always fun to take a new bike to the track w/o riding it first...

Yeah, that was my bike at tech!   And yeah, it did catch fire!!

I'm going to contact #914 Am Jesus Mxxxxx from Miami this weekend....

Baltobuell

OK, I've been keeping quiet, BUT and please take no offence, since it is a little different. Last year I was taken out by a guy and went to Halifax in the ambo and kind of held a grudge too until while explaining what happened to a friend, his first comment was, "Jesus, you were giving him a little room and he was just hangin on for dear life when you hit. It put a little perspective on it. Nobody was trying to take you out, I'm sure his underware went in the trash, I would imagine he feels like an as0. And MAYBE, he found out you were OK and was embarrassed or afraid to approach you.
  Anybody that feels attacked will become defensive, so keep in mind all of the above may explain his keeping to himself. From your side, I'd be a little bent too, but being pissed never helps.
  Oh, and MAN, my deepest sympathy for the leftover parts and your wallet. Glad everything important walked away. God must have something for you to do, cause you are clearly a lucky man.

cuda

Dude I can't believe you walked from that unbroken.  I was parked way out in RV parking and saw the whole accident first hand.  That guy came off the bank outside of you and his line just took him back to the center of the track right where you were. When you guys hit I wasn't sure anybody would go down, but he kinda hit you while his bike was passing you on the right side.  When I saw you go down I assumed he came in contact with your handlebars or front brake lever or something.  When you hit it looked like you were doing acrobatics.  It is AMAZING that you didn't break some serious parts rolling like that.  You now have only 8 lives left.  

993twin

Hey Balto,

Yeah, words well spoken.  I wasn't trying to come off as too much of an "asO;"  purposefully, as I didn't want to scare the guy into not saying anything.  I did mention that I thought he 'prolly thought he'd killed someone, and 'prolly packed his stuff up and left as soon as he could get himself back into the pits...thinking he had killed someone.   I can only expect what I know I'd do myself, though.

Wow, cuda...so you had the bird's eye view, eh?  I've thought about what that must have looked like...yeah, I basically walked away....

My ankle is now barely sore, the scab on my left elbow is almost getting ready to peel off, and two of my three fingers are basically back to normal.  

Hey Bart...I rode the Duc in practice just to make sure that everything was cool with the hose clamp situation.  Wow - that 999 is a sweet handling bike!!!!

Anyway, for some stupid reason, I can't wait to get back on the bike...I'll tell you this, tho...I'm no longer afraid of a 70 mph lowside (maybe I should be!)!!!

motomadness

Bill,

Great attitude.  See you in the D.

:D :D :D

993twin

Monsta?!?!  HAHAHAHAhahahaaaaa!!!!!   Sorry dude - ya did it to yourself...from now on, it's "MONSTA G!!!"

Thanks for the props in the pm also.  Diplomatic and professional, while sometimes odd between friends, is usually the way to go - especially if you can still get your point across. :-)

993twin

A friend of mine brought up a good point offline regarding a fallen comrade of ours who, while experiencing the same sort of crash I did at the same place, most unfortunately did not fare as well.  I think y'all know who and what I'm talking about.  In a strange way, I respectfully submit that I at a certain, very unusual level, I can relate to this person's tragic experience.  Believe me, I draw comparisons and "what if's" in my mind daily.  This is why I have two 2nd degree burns on my left fingertips, as mindful of the circumstances of this person's crash, I wanted to steer myself around while on my back, so that I could see who was about to run over me at 170 mph+. By some grace, there was no one there.  I hope no one has thought that telling this tale smacks of insensitivity, although I can clearly see how that interpretation might develop.