News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV650 Tach???

Started by Super_KC124, March 06, 2004, 05:35:57 AM

Super_KC124

Anyone know how to hook up a RevLight to a 2001 SV650? (wire color code) I have wiring diagrams, but it doesn't show what triggers the tach. DataTool gives every option except an SV. The instructions also say not to hook the tach pulse feed to Suzukis where the tach is driven from the coil. Am I hosed? ???

Wires to hook up: Ground, switched 12volts, tacho pulse, learn/set up.

Nate R

You're not hosed.

I had one for a while, worked kindof OK.

I'm leaving right now, but I'll write up some instructions later for ya. Get a GOOD ground connection.

They're right about the tach pulse on the SV. I looked at it with an oscilliscope, and it was a VERY dirty signal.  :P
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

james-redsv

Hehe ahahahaha, what are you guys thinking, a rev light and tach on an SV?? You dont need no tach on a SV, its totally useless. ;D

Super_KC124

Ha ha, ho ho. I'm going from inline 4 cylinders to a v-twin and would like too know if I'm even half way close to the right gearing. He he he. :P

james-redsv

QuoteHa ha, ho ho. I'm going from inline 4 cylinders to a v-twin and would like too know if I'm even half way close to the right gearing. He he he. :P
Just ask the other SV riders what they have been running. Unless you are talking daytona all you will need is the stock 45 rear and a 46 for tighter tracks.

Nate R

At BHF you'll wanna at least go one down in front as well as up a bit in the back.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

dylanfan53

QuoteAnyone know how to hook up a RevLight to a 2001 SV650? (wire color code) I have wiring diagrams, but it doesn't show what triggers the tach. DataTool gives every option except an SV. The instructions also say not to hook the tach pulse feed to Suzukis where the tach is driven from the coil. Am I hosed? ???

Wires to hook up: Ground, switched 12volts, tacho pulse, learn/set up.

Kevin,
Rev light I don't know, but these are the wires for a normal tach hookup.

There are 2 connectors going to the stock instrument cluster - a 6 pin and a 10 pin connector.  

The 10 pin connector has 2 rows of pins and 2 black/white wires - one on the 4 pin row and one on the 6 pin row.  This is important, because it's the one on the 4 pin row that gets used.

The black/yellow wire on the 6 pin connector is tach signal. I do think it comes off the orange (?) coil wire.

The black/white wire on the 4 pin row of the 10 pin connector is ground.

The orange/green wire on the 6 pin row of the 10 pin connector is switched power.

There is a red wire on the 6 pin connector that has unswitched power (it's hot with ignition on or off) so to avoid battery drain you probably don't want to use it without a switch.

There are other ground wires (Black/brown tracer) I think.  I don't know which would be less noisy, but I used black/white.

HTH,
Don
Don Cook
CCS #53

Nate R

Can't use any of the wires going to the gauges for the revlight tach pulse wire.

see this post for my write-up http://www.racemotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=tips;action=display;num=1043907065;start=0
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Greg_Williams

Kevin,

You really don't need a tach on a SV.  There's a reason that they put a rev limiter on the bike!

See you at Topeka.
Greg Williams

Cafe Racer Inc.
816-221-0711

www.caferacerinc.com

Gixxer124

Thanks, Nate. Greg, I've allready mounted it and hooked up everything but a trigger wire. Too late to turn back now. ;D I also need to hook up a oil pressure light. Will any 12v DC light work? Thanks.

Nate R

Yes, any 12V Light will work for oil. Radio Shack has a nice big red one.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

james-redsv

Nate, even though you dont really need a tach on a SV yours looks really trick. Where did you get the tach? I tried the motorsliders site but it wasnt there. I might have to get one just for the cool factor. ;D

Nate R

87 GSX 750 Tach. $125 salvaged.

I pulled off the original black/orange face, scanned in in to the computer, and changed it to White/black, and changed the redline. Then, I printed out the new face on sticker paper, and stuck it on the old face and remounted. I set the needle so that it was right at 10.5K when the limiter cut in. So, it wasn't the most accurate at low revs, but that doesn't really matter.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

james-redsv

Thanks, great idea! ;D