News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ban Oxy Fuel in SS?

Started by sdiver68, September 03, 2002, 03:45:48 PM

sdiver68

Since SS is supposed to be less machine prep and mechanical ability and by extension $$, and more about the rider, I wondered what people thought about banning the oxygenated fuels in Supersport?

It would still be legal for SB and GP
MCRA Race School Instructor

Dawn

How would you tell which fuel is being burned at what time?  (A nose is not totally reliable)

Plus, how would you avoid the "this is left over fuel from the superbike, sportsman, GP, etc. race?"

Just a thought

Dawn   ;)

THE_D.O.C.

it would be no prblem to measure specific gravity at tech. does anyone know if oxy fuel is less/more dense than regular race gas?

r6_philly

I vote yes, ban oxy fuel in SS, but it probably just another rule where it wouldn't be enforced until someone protest it. They do check airboxes, but what about head work? If you had done extensive work to your topend, and just show up and win SS races in reginal action, would they actually tear it down and see if it is legal?

sdiver68

Like DOC said, it would be easy to pull a tube and field test.  

The leftover fuel argument would be SOL, IMHO.  Oh sorry, these are leftover slicks because I didn't have time to change to DOT's....???  ;)

I don't care either way, in fact it would be to my advantage to keep Oxy fuels legal, but its something that was brought up at the track that I thought may be a good idea if everyone did the same.  How many of you like to pay $5 - $15 - $?? a gallon?
MCRA Race School Instructor

tcchin

Pump gas is oxygenated with MTBE, ETBE, TAME and other lovely sauces. Are you suggesting that pump gas should be banned too?

The specific gravity of Chevron Supreme, according to the company's MSDS, is .7 to .8. This is a huge range, and it covers everything from VP C 12 at .717 to Special 5 and MR1 at .740. How can a specific gravity test distinguish between Chevron Supreme and an expensive, exotic fuel like Nutec? I don't think we want to start submitting fuel samples at the beginning of the season, do we?

Power gains from fuel are way less significant than those that are available through exhaust upgrades and jetting optimization, and a fuel's ability to improve lap times pales in comparison to that of proper chassis/suspension setup and tire choice. If the outcome of a race comes down to fuel choice, then the riders involved need to consider going pro. For the rest of us humans who race at the club level, fuel choice boils down to bragging rights, mental crutching and aroma therapy.

GAMEDIC

QuotePump gas is oxygenated with MTBE, ETBE, TAME and other lovely sauces. Are you suggesting that pump gas should be banned too?

The specific gravity of Chevron Supreme, according to the company's MSDS, is .7 to .8. This is a huge range, and it covers everything from VP C 12 at .717 to Special 5 and MR1 at .740. How can a specific gravity test distinguish between Chevron Supreme and an expensive, exotic fuel like Nutec? I don't think we want to start submitting fuel samples at the beginning of the season, do we?

Power gains from fuel are way less significant than those that are available through exhaust upgrades and jetting optimization, and a fuel's ability to improve lap times pales in comparison to that of proper chassis/suspension setup and tire choice. If the outcome of a race comes down to fuel choice, then the riders involved need to consider going pro. For the rest of us humans who race at the club level, fuel choice boils down to bragging rights, mental crutching and aroma therapy.
Well said! ;D

dave333

Thanks for the reality check, Tim!

btw, did you ever work for ual at exo?

tcchin

1) Thanks, GAMEDIC.

2) You're welcome, Dave.  Sorry, I've never worked for United, but I do have a fairly common name.

Mongo

I've talked about this to the guys at Prostar (drag racing - they have more experience and research time into the fuel issue than anyone else I know) and the only way they could enforce a rule about no oxy additives was simple.  They now require all competitors to run race fuels.  

What happened is that as somone posted above - the race fuels with oxy spec'd out the same as pump gas.  So the only way to enforce it is to require small batch race fuels without oxy and they test for these specific allowed spec fuels.  This of course wouldn't work at our level because it would then increase the expense to most riders.

Another thing to consider - are fuels really making a difference?  At the AMA pro level where riders are that close I'd say yes.  At the club level where the riders aren't usually anywhere near the capabilites of a stock bike on pump gas I'd say no.  Running race gas for 99.5% of the club racers I know is no different than putting racing stripes on a car or chrome on your 'Busa.  It's all about the show and makes no difference in lap times.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

cbrracerg

[quote author=Mongo

Another thing to consider - are fuels really making a difference?  At the AMA pro level where riders are that close I'd say yes.  At the club level where the riders aren't usually anywhere near the capabilites of a stock bike on pump gas I'd say no.  Running race gas for 99.5% of the club racers I know is no different than putting racing stripes on a car or chrome on your 'Busa.  It's all about the show and makes no difference in lap times.[/quote]
Right!The difference of up to 4hp and 2ftlbs of torque will make no difference :o