News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ban Oxy Fuel in SS?

Started by sdiver68, September 03, 2002, 03:45:48 PM

sdiver68

Thanks for the technical input Mongo and Tim,

Based on that new info, I would vote no, since compliance would be too difficult to enforce.

I've seen way too many before/after dyno reports from too many sources to not believe the fuels are giving an extra 5+- HP on a 600, so there is an advantage there.

However, Tim, then why bother having different classes of bikes, since none of us can exploit what we have to its fullest....  Why bother with SS class at all?  Heck, lets just have 6 Heats of Unlimited Grand Prix, and 3 Heats of GTO.

MCRA Race School Instructor

TightSqueeze

Just do like the karts do,  and have a hairy buffalo fuel drum.   :P

Walk up with 5gals, dump in top of drum, extract 5 gals from the bottom.  Good luck!

tcchin

sdiver68,

I've done fuel testing on a dyno and the difference, as you said, is usually about 4% between the worst performers and the best performers. Again, this is less of a power gain than jetting, exhaust and cam timing will give you. It is certainly less significant on a lap time basis than the difference between fresh tires and shagged tires, yet I don't think anyone wants to start monitoring tire heat cycles in tech. Also, if you're fast enough to have your race results decided by your fuel choice, you'd probably be getting free fuel anyway.

Your idea about combined classes, despite being intentionally controversial and inflammatory, sounds a lot like a Formula 40 or Team Challenge event to me, which again brings me to the bottom line that it's nearly all rider and very little bike. For example, I can still remember back in February of 2001 when Ant Gobert rode around everybody in every class on his R6 at the Streets of Willow. Likewise, the July 2001 Team Challenge at Buttonwillow was won overall (I think) by a team on an R6.

Having six UGP and three GTO races would certainly be cheaper, as I would only need to buy one kind of tire, build one kind of motor and maintain only one chassis. I'd still be just as slow though... And yes, Ant would have gone faster on his R7 than on his R6, so there is still a place in this sport for machine classification, but fuel is not going to make that much difference in a stock bike in a club race.

RoadRacerR6

QuoteRight!The difference of up to 4hp and 2ftlbs of torque will make no difference :o

I use good old available-anywhere pump gas.  I love passing bikes running race gas!  It's so much fun to think about how they paid big $$ so I could pass them!