News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Congrats to SuperDave!

Started by StumpysWife, March 03, 2004, 04:49:03 AM

StumpysWife

According to www.cyclenews.com SuperDave Rosno picked up 2 2nd place finishes in Formula Vintage with AHRMA at Daytona.  Good job!

Heather

KBOlsen

YESSSSS!!!!     WOOHOO!!!  YAAAAAY!!!!! :D
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

smoke

If you look at the FUSA results he did well there also.

tigerblade

Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

EM JAY

Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

Zippy

Steviebee

K3 Chris Onwiler

I wonder how fast Paul Buxton and I could rebuild a vintage bike if Dave crashed it? ;D ;D ;D ;D
You're my hero, Dave!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dawn

QuoteI wonder how fast Paul Buxton and I could rebuild a vintage bike if Dave crashed it? ;D ;D ;D ;D
You're my hero, Dave!

LOL!!!

Way to go Dave.

Dawn   :)

Super Dave

LOL!

Formula Vintage...two seconds.

I was riding a Kawasaki H1 500cc triple cylinder two stroke that wouldn't down shift.  

The owner crashed it on Monday, so I had to let him borrow my extra master cylinder and resevoir from my Yamaha.  It didn't have any brakes;  I'd let off the trottle, grab the whole thing, down shift about seven times before turning, but usually it still wasn't it the right gear.  I led on Tuesday for a while before the downshifting got really, really bad.  Might only be related to the placement of the shift lever, but it was really hard.

Bike handled ok for a vintage bike.  Needs a couple of changes to be better, but I think I have them covered in my H1.

500 Premier, I got 7th on Monday.  No power what so ever.  Something was wrong.  Died in the second session, and we swapped some ignition wiring around to get it to work.

The bike was a 1967 Honda CB450.  You have to understand that 500 Premier is filled with bikes that are manufactured reproductions of some original European bikes like Matchless G50's and Norton Manx's that cost about $50k to $60k...the CB450 I ride is a bike from 1967 and Bob Hansen's people asked me to ride it.  Bob ran Honda's racing program in the late 60's, then Kawasaki's racing program in the 70's...  http://www.teamhansenhonda.com

Anyway, Tuesday, they found a problem in the stator plate and fixed it.  But, I couldn't practice on it;  can't put too much time on the bike as Daytona is really, really hard on it.

So, I got a warm up lap, and this time the bike was pulling well.  Good start, going around the outside of a bunch of guys in one, and I got taken out by an English guy.  He says I hit him, then is says that he was turning right after turning left for one.  I was turning left in one, then someone hit me, not the bike, in the back.  We had a video camera on the bike at the time too.  Didn't hit him....he's a moron.  Couldn't restart the bike as I didn't want to risk hurting the internals on the bike.  Don't know if I could have kept up on the banking, but I wound have had everyone covered in the infield.

FUSA went well.  I'll have to do a complete report later.

Did very few laps.  Rain was a problem.  I had to qualify with a used tire.  Superbike was first, then Sportbike, then Formula Sportbike.  So, my qualifying times gradually deteriorated.

Superbike was decent.  Got broken off from the lead back.  Jesse Janisch, Shawn Conrad and I had a personal battle for the whole race.  Jesse talked about how no one could out brake him into one...so I went around the outside of him once braking into one to motivate him.  We'd pass each other at various parts of the track, and work the draft together.  I passed Jesse and was going after Conrad when we got the red flag, so the scoring went back a lap.  I got tenth.

Sportbike...bad grid from the aling qualifying tire.  Decent start.  Worked through the group and I got hooked up with Danny Eslick...he's a really fast AMA dirt tracker that's contracted to Suzuki somehow and he was riding with Attack Suzuki last year, but he'll be riding Suzuki's for KWS along side Shawn Higbee.  Anyway, his bike is really, really fast.  I used his draft, then I'd sneak by to try to get him going in other places so we could play catch up.  We were dramatically catching Jesse, Conrad, and Des Conboy in front of us.  I think I turned my 1:56.153 then.  At the line we were in big mess at the line, all five of us, I lost and ended up 11th.  I was still pretty happy.

Formula Sporbike...well, not many people doing that class.  If I would have ran my time of the 1:59 or something from Superbike there, I would have been on the front row.  

The funny part was that we had to add weight to the bike.  At Blackhawk last year, I'd go over the scales at 375 after the Sportbike race.  Well, that's the weight limit for Formula Sportbike.  Daytona uses a lot of fuel, so we added some weight.

First, a 2" trailer ball was zip tied to the front fairing bracket.  Next a five pound sledge (actually, it must have been made in China because it weighed 4.5 pounds), then we taped up two boxes of used motorcycle chains on top of the back of my R6's seat.  That was almost 14#'s so it seemed to be enough.

So, I started the race.  Instantly, the chain started moving around.  So, for about five laps, I lost a lot of time trying to figure out how to deal with it.  Ended up having a boring race for 7th.

;D
Super Dave

stumpy

Shoulda bought one of those heavy Hondas...No modifications needed, they come heavy stock :P

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Super Dave

Yeah, well, they still would have finished finished behind me... 8)

This one has all the HRC parts...

13. Nick Cummings (Hon CBR600RR)
Super Dave

Nate R

And, congrats to dave for NOT falling over on a bike I would've had to fix! The R6 stayed upright all week and weekend.  ;D

Which was definitely in the minority. LOTS of people fell down, many destroyed motorcycles.

Daytona, wow. Just eats equipment, tires, etc.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

Hey, and if you didn't keep everything working in order...

And if I could only make pancakes with strawberries in the bus... ;D
Super Dave

lil_thorny

great job Dave, I was thinking the same thing about Nic Cummings.  He's got all the goods but not the go eh?
What happened to Dan-O..Dafan Zhang was putting the hurt on him too. I heard Danny had to use Jim Ptak's bike.  Lot's-o'crashes huh?
anyway, sounds like you did pretty good considering the wetness... I can't imagine the big "D" in the rain,
I set my bike up soft when it was dry there. How did the Michelins do?  Who won the tire battle?
Talk to you later,

Benj.

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteLOL!

Jesse talked about how no one could out brake him into one...so I went around the outside of him once braking into one to motivate him.  
 ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

LOL!

Wetness?

It was fine when I was on the track.  No reason to ride there when it's wet.  DanO busted his bike early on.  I think he said that the only thing that wasn't bent was his front wheel and one brake disc.  Really...I mean, he broke the swingarm.

Crashes, lots.  

Hansen, Ebben, Feuesthauler (2+?), Maltier(2?), Janisch, Doty, the Woods, Greenwood, Kessenich, Casey (I think), DanO, and so on.

I rode so that I could have a bike to bring home.  So, I was real happy with everything.  

I'm always dealing with a budget that is quite a bit smaller than other people's, so I've got to be careful, in a certain way...
Super Dave

r6_philly

greenwood crashed in sportbike qualifying and end up starting next to me.

after watching the FX race and seeing web cruch adam gets 1 point for finishing 15th, I am building a FX bike and race the FX this year. Was trying to decide what to do with last year's race bike now I have the answer :)

lil_thorny

Dafan,
how did Bill (Meyers) get to do AMA this weekend?

r6_philly

hey thorny national champs and front runners may be able able to gain a license because they are obviously able to run with the field. Just call tiff and ask her to fax a certification to AMA :)

Bill did quite well too ;)

lil_thorny

Cool, thanks Dafan...
will do.

r6_philly

so where and when you going to play? I want to hit the last 3 nationals. Barber would be fun but I still havent been there yet

lil_thorny

BIR for sure. Maybe Barber.
You wouldn't happen to know the AMA guys name
that I need to contact do you?

r6_philly

email patty bourne at:

pbourne@amaproracing.com

you can get the right forms and info sent to you so you can fill it out and apply. They may be down at daytona though, I am not sure.

r6_philly

Barber is early though :D from the look of things if I can't get any track time before then I may not even make qualifying. 110% now too lol gotta build a bike too

lil_thorny

what's up with that?
you crash pretty hard?
hey, thanks again for the 411

Benj.

r6_philly

hey I didn't crash  :) I am trying to build a FX bike.

lil_thorny

ohhhhhh.... sorry, didn't understand. Cool!!
see you on speed ;)

Benj.