Splitting LW practice

Started by Kevin_Barker, August 29, 2002, 03:25:12 PM

Kevin_Barker

Since CCS has recently started combining MW/HW expert practice sessions, how about splitting the LW practice into Expert and Amatuer?  Currently, most LW experts run in the HW/MW expert practice, mixing 125s and SVs with 600, 750, and 1000 cc inline fours.  The LW classes are the fastest growing classes, have the most new racers, and have the biggest speed difference between beginners and experts.

Dave_Alexander

Kevin, what is the practice group structure in your area?  In the SW there are three groups:

1 - All LW Am and Ex.
2 - All Am MW+
3 - All Ex MW+

There's definitely more people on the track during groups 2 and 3 in our area.  Splitting up group 1 wouldn't be too feasible.  However, it may be a different story in you region.  I'd suggest the most productive way to go about it is to bring the topic up during a riders meeting.  Events are run differently in different regions and if the majority in your region want the change they can make it happen.

TreyBone

It can get a little crowded out there at times but it doesn't really bother me. The only time it is real bad is at VIR. The last time at VIR, Kevin Robinson and myself passed 14 people in one lap. That is the only track that there is no way possible to get a "green" lap during practice. It doesn't seem to bad at all the other tracks.

I ain't never been able to get on the track during a MW/HW practice on a lightweight bike. So I personally have never seen that one.

See yall this weekend in RRR

Kevin_Barker

This is really a Midwest/Great Lakes issue.  There they run 5 groups due to high turn-out.  

#1 MW amatuer odd plates
#2 MW amatuer even plates
#3 MW expert odd plates
#4 MW expert even plates
#5 LW expert and amatuer even and odd

Lately, they have combined #3 & #4, reducing the number of practices to 4.  Practice #5 is the most crowded, with the biggest difference in speeds between bikes.  In most cases, it is impossible to get even 1 clean lap for the faster riders.  As a result, most expert LW guys go out with the combined 3 & 4 group, which adds 10 bikes to an already combined group, plus puts 125s and SVs out with 600, 750, and 1000 cc inline fours.  Does not make any sense to me.

If this is not happening in your region, than it is probably not an issue for you.

Dave_Alexander

Okay, now I understand better.  Again, I'd suggest you approach it as a regional issue and try to get the local racers to petition a change.  Posting the survey here implies you want the change to be nationwide.  Besides, there's such a small fraction of racers participating on this board most of the surveys don't produce truly usable results anyway.

part time racer

I run in the Midwest as well, I think splitting the LW is a good idea for us.  I was able to get only two clean laps each time out.  Not to good for someone who hasn't been on the track in two years.  The LW races were the only ones I saw all weekend with two-wave starts, the classes were huge!

Litespeed

I don't know if the practices in the SW are as crowded as what you are seeing but if you really want to learn the track you need to go to the Friday track day when available.  I was rarely passing people at the beginning of the season but now that I have progressed I don't recall a race morning practice where I haven't passed at least a couple of bikes.