A few questions for a newb:

Started by ClemsonsR6, February 10, 2004, 12:45:37 PM

ClemsonsR6

Hey guys,
  Gonna send off my license app. tomorrow so I can pick up some experience this season.  Probably only gonna do 4 or 5 races.  Anyway, got a few questions:

1) Is a transponder required for CCS??

2) Will number display on a stock 2003 R6 tail section suffice?? (As long as it has the yellow back ground)

3) What's it like out on the track really competing.  I've done quite a few track days, but I'm sure competition is more fierce when it's for real.  

Thanks for any heads up you can give me!

~ Tyler

r6_philly

1. it is, but it is included in the entry fee. you pick up your transponder when you sign in at registration

2. if you have a race tail, it should be ok. 6 inch numbers are ok to use, I have seen people putting it on with no problems.

3. competing? nothing like it. even if you are racing for the 30th place like how must of us started out, you will be just as excited and involved. Just keep a level head, and pay more attention to where you are going, not to the guy you are racing against. If you are faster, you will beat him, if you are not, then don't go over your head trying to keep up. Thats for later on in the year :p

Super Dave

Smoother is always faster.

Imagine it this way...

The bike will go faster without you on it, so the less work you do, the faster the bike goes.  Smooth, smooth, smooth.  

And set up is key.  Experience can teach you that if you work on it...or you can try to work with someone, or rent someone...that's kind of what I do...work with riders.
Super Dave

Steviebee

where you going to race ?

i'd get a fiberglass tail section, and body work.  Cause you can fix them when u crash.

I only raced 5 weekends last year.  i had a few top 5's .  Racing was nothing like a track day.  You end up pushing your self much harder racing, at least i did.  But hey i've only done a few track days too.

StumpysWife

Yup, I have to agree with Steve-o.  A track day is downright relaxing compared to racing for Stumpy.  Not that they aren't valuable, but it seems to be a different frame of mind.  

Heather

ClemsonsR6

Thanks for all the input everyone.  Glad to know I won't have to spend more money on a transponder.  What about the mounting hardware for it?  Where do I have to mount it and where can I get the hardware?  As for the tail, I have race glass; however, I use a stock tail I got off ebay for 5 bucks so I can still access my trunk for the camera system I use from time to time.  Problem?

~ Tyler

KBOlsen

When you receive your transmitter, you will also get a black plastic bracket that mounts with two bolts on your tail section (on top, not inside).    You might want to add a zip tie or two for added security.

Racing is to track days what grain alcohol is to 3.2 beer.  There is no feeling in the world that quite compares to being on the starting grid, blood pounding in your ears as you hold up the RPM's as the "1" board goes sideways, your entire universe focused on waiting for that very first movement of the wrist of the gal holding the green flag up on the bridge....

Gawd, is it April YET?????!!!!!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Steviebee

I just got RoadRace last night !!

IM SO PUMPED FOR HEARTLAND PARK

StumpysWife

QuoteI just got RoadRace last night !!

IM SO PUMPED FOR HEARTLAND PARK

Yay!  We'll see ya there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather

MZGirl

QuoteGawd, is it April YET?????!!!!!

You gotta wait until April?! You should come down here to the SW...just 10 more days for us!   :D

KBOlsen

March for most folks, 'cept I'm not going to Topeka this time around.

AZ would be nice, but then I'd have to get a new crew chief!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Super Dave

QuoteRacing is to track days what grain alcohol is to 3.2 beer

Great analogy...LOL!
Super Dave