News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Who does the best work on FORKS!!!

Started by Racingxtc7, February 09, 2004, 07:42:40 PM

Racingxtc7

I'm building a 99 yamaha R6 for my new race bike and would liek to know everyone's opinion on who does the best suspension?

Super Dave

Well, it's easier to have someone local to you do it.  That way when you need it to be different/better/serviced, they can do it for you.

Personally, I use http://4and6,com

Why?  Well, a couple of reasons.  First, they have been building bikes for a virtual eternity, and they are one of the only shops that I know of that have put a privateer and their bike on the top of the box for an AMA Supersport race.

Second, they don't tie themselves down to one thing.  They deal with lots of products so that they can pick and choose the combinations that give the best results.  

Be warned that you WILL get a straight forward answer on what would probably work the best.

Tell 'em I sent you and you'll get charged double...LOL, honestly, they have done a good job for me.
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

Trackside Engineering
Ed Kwaterski
414-453-6720
2447 N. 65th, Milwaukee

Ed is a Showa engineer by day who builds race suspension at night.  He comes to Blackhawk to help his people get dialed in.  Ed's prices are very fair, and his work is superb.  He's the first suspension guy who didn't screw me, so I'll be his customer for life.  I could tell you about driving to his house covered in shock oil for the frantic Saturday night  night rebuild Ed did to get me back racing on Sunday, but everyone else has heard it already.  Enough to say that his work is top-notch, and Ed is a great guy who will take very good care of you.  
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

charliev

Thermosman  703 628 6818 Set up both my r6 and my 636. Great job, always at the tracks and doesnt' charge giant mounds of dollars.

lil_thorny

I couldn't tell you who does the "best" work...
but I have had great success with Brian Baker
and Axxion centers. Brian works out of the Midwest
but I believe he will be doing Formula USA and
the Suzuki cup this year. Brian was instrumental
in my bike set-up and handling.  He always sent me
in the "right" direction.  If you do choose to work with Brian Baker, be sure to catch him before he leaves the track....cuz he hangs out with that Calvin
Martinez guy and that Dave Ebben too...they keep him up till the wee hours of the night...  ;D ......
when he could be working on my bike ;)
Seriously tho.... horsepower takes you only so far...
handling is where it's at... now if I could just keep my elbows out.

Jeff

QuoteTrackside Engineering
Ed Kwaterski
414-453-6720
2447 N. 65th, Milwaukee

I would absolutely second this.

I've been working with Ed for 3 years now, and have learned more than I could have ever hoped for from anyone else.  

Bottom line, he isn't happy until you are.

He doesn't race, so he's never rushed with his own agenda versus taking care of you.  So, if he doesn't race, how can he understand what is happening and how the bike should feel?  Ask him this question and sit back for 30-60 while he explains...

What you need to do, as mentioned from others here, is find someone you can trust and are comfortable with.  Someone who will be there AFTER you get your forks back, to help you with setup and questions.  And will be there throughout the season to answer questions.  Ed is all of this and much more...

If you have any questions on Ed or what he's done for me specifically, please ask.  You can ask here, or email me at jeff@cbr600rr.com and I'll be happy to share.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

KBOlsen

Another vote here for Ed Kwaterski...

John likes him.  Need I say more?
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Team_nuclear123

We selected Aftershocks to do our forks and shocks for this year. We have worked with them a little bit in the past, and the work has been top shelf.

The sponsored Brian Long (ccs Pac and SW overall Champion) and Jeff Tigert (AFM overall champion)

Website is www.aftershocks-suspension.com

Give tham a shot, especially if you are on the west coast where they provide at track support

OmniGLH

QuoteThermosman  703 628 6818 Set up both my r6 and my 636. Great job, always at the tracks and doesnt' charge giant mounds of dollars.

A big second here for Thermosman.  Top notch work, fairly priced, and the ONLY suspension vendor I know that CALLS YOU at the track to make sure everything works ok.  His customer service is 2nd to none, and personally, being properly taken care of is just as important as the product.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

am_#65_john_deere

i sent my forks and shock to ed for a complete rebuild.

he built forks for me before and i find that he knows what he's doing.

he is usually at alot of the mid-west races, and i find him very helpful.

give him a call or email him.

he is based in milwaukee.

Steviebee

Go with one of the guys that will be at the tracks you plan on attending!!

I'm totally not happy about sending my stuff to someone that i never saw at the track !

jp233

chime in another vote for Mike Fitzgerald aka Thermosman.... he is the man. very great prices. always willing to help, listen to people talk on the podium you will hear his name a LOT !!
Tactical Racing #233

MELK-MAN

QuoteThermosman  703 628 6818 Set up both my r6 and my 636. Great job, always at the tracks and doesnt' charge giant mounds of dollars.

my 2c is cast for Thermosman as well...
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

jenkins

hey melkman....you might want to instead consider eric gray from GMD.  he attends all the florida regionals and some of the s.e. and wera events.  All of the Prieto bikes are optimized by GMD... All three bikes on the podium this weekend are Gmd suspension prepped bikes...as well as most of the bikes who took firsts....plus, he is trackside to assist in any geometry situations.....

GMD # is 954-786-2875

MELK-MAN

Quotehey melkman....you might want to instead consider eric gray from GMD.  he attends all the florida regionals and some of the s.e. and wera events.  All of the Prieto bikes are optimized by GMD... All three bikes on the podium this weekend are Gmd suspension prepped bikes...as well as most of the bikes who took firsts....plus, he is trackside to assist in any geometry situations.....

GMD # is 954-786-2875

Jenkins.. you have a pm..
Nope.. Thermosman set up my bike most of the 03 season when Robert Jensen rode it and the thing was the best bike i every rode from the 1st few laps.. if it aint broke no-fixy...
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

chris17

Props here for GMD.  Eric is always at the florida races, and does great work!

FastBoy

MAD props to thermosman on this one. He takes customer servie to a new level. Uses Ohlins bits. No matter what level you ride at, he really listens to what you tell him about what the bike is doing and then fixes it. My R6 is on absolute rails now. He even called me when I didn't show for a track day (bad weather) to make sure I was okay. He takes a personal interest in who he tunes for and knows you by name and bike. Pretty impressive. He's got my business from now on.

divein6

I definatly agree on Theromasman, awsome dude. I need my forks back asap and he had them back to me with time to spare. And to boot, it was the first time i was ever using him so he dident know me from a hole in the wall. did awsome work. and the ohlins internals are fantastic

Jeff

QuoteJeff, I have Ed Kwaterski's #. If you need it give me a holler. The boy is most excellent.

Jeff me?  Yep, I've got it.  better yet, I know where he lives  :D

He's going to setup Bam-Bam, my CRF-450. and I've got a truck load of stuff I need to take to him this week too...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

motodirty

If your in the Mid-atlantic or south east region go with Jon Tyus of www.cycletechracing.com He works with a lot of the AMA guys and Formula usa regulars.  He made me go a second a lap faster by just adjusting my suspension.  He also doesn't race anymore but he used to, so he knows how the bike should feel.  You tell him what its doing wrong and he corrects it.  I'll tell you what though, every track has a diiferent suspension setting or even valving.  Make sure you keep good notes of what track and what settings you have for each track.  Example: at VIR we need to put more pre-load in the front which is weird usually you just adjust compression and rebound.  But at most of the other tracks its just a click here or there, but to remember what to click and how much gets tiring, thats where your notes come into play.  Call or go to his website 865-579-1161

Absolute

Thermosman is our choice when it comes to suspension work. All our susoension work is sent to him for his knowledge and care when it comes to his work. Very fast rutn around, we have not had a peoblem yet. We are proud to endorse Thermosman suspensions.

Absolute Cycle Performance

www.absolutecycleperformance.com

718-876-0035
732-241-4844

Roy Cadoo
General Manager.
AbsoluteCycle.com
1-877-382-9800
SalesAtAbsolute@aol.com
2182 Elizabeth Ave
Rahway NJ 07065

Racingxtc7

I'm from chicago so Thermosman and Brian baker are the to closest to me that has been mentioned. I won't use 4&6.

ninelives59

the thermosman is the best...Calls you back and has great prices.. ;)
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S

quicktoy

Ya thermosman is the only way to go...Mike ius awesome, real friendly, very knowledgeable, and so on.
Dont send your stuff to GMD In my own opinion...They did the so called "sweet numbers" on one of my team mates bikes and raised the forks in the trees like 3 inches...bike had no fricken feel whatsoever....we got it set at 9 m.m. above the trees and sooo much better, plus they charged him for straightening a bent fork which was NEVER bent
My return as an Amateur

Kal

Anyone have the phone number for Thermosman?

quicktoy

Thermosman= 703 628-6818
his name is mike and hes cool as F#ck
My return as an Amateur

DanO966

Yep
Thermosman!
He's the bomb!!
Everytime that I talk to him he solves my problem and I go FASTER! ;D
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

Racingxtc7

quicktoy

whatever you want..hel find out what your looking for, what you want to spend, etc...it seems like most people have him install the new bad ass ohlins internals for him.
right now i have these bad ass penske internals which are working real well on my 636
My return as an Amateur

stumpy

Just had my forks done by BRG, Traxxion (Brian Baker). With a track schedule like his (see his website) When is he not at the track?, Thats what matters most to me! If I have a problem I know he's gonna be there to help :)

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Racingxtc7

Who is going to be at the most CCS midwest events?

BRG

Jeff,
We will be at all the Midwest events except Hartland Park.

Brian Baker
Baker Race Gear/Midwest Axxion Center
414-916-9559
brgracing1@cs.com
www.axxioncenters.com

TBMain954

BRG Baker did my front forks and rear shock(FOX) set my 954 up for my size(200lbs) and it performed great all year. Also like to thank Brian again for fixing the loose head bearings seconds before my warm up lap at Road America last season,it really helped with wicked shake up the front straight.                         THANKS AGAIN BRIAN!!!  
'02 Honda 954
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda!"

LMsports

We will be at Heartland park and will provide suspension support for events he is unable to attend.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Racingxtc7

I still haven't gotten my forks done!

Jeff

cornercamping

Superbike Specialties
Westland, MI
Keith Thompson

Eddie#200

I can't say anything bad about any of the mentioned tuners.  I can say that you need to build a professional relationship with your suspension tuner and keep it.  I have worked with both BRG and Trackside and they both are excellent to work with.  BRG did the forks and shock mods and Ed has helpped with adjustments where BRG didn't make the event.  Brian and Ed are top notch and are at the track to help make realtime adjustments.  My suspension is fanf**k'ntastic!