News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Thieves...

Started by LRRS#52, August 22, 2002, 05:47:31 AM

LRRS#52

A friend of mine had his 1999 F4 stolen of his trailer Monday night. It's probably local thieves (Rochester, NY) and won't turn up outside our area but here is the info in case anyone sees anything.

1999 600 F4 - VIN: JH2PC3500XM006889

Yellow/Black Bike

If anyone sees anything please contact:

Wayne - wmulhir1@rochester.rr.com

dave333

Just for my information, could you tell me what type of lock he had on the bike and trailer?  I have been known to forget that a time or two, but fwiw, I will have to remember every time now...

I would like to get a good lock, hard to pick, tough to cut, etc...  Suggestions?  Insurance is nice to fall back on but they never really like a ton of phone calls from you asking for money! ;D

LRRS#52

It was an open trailer so they had access to the bike. I'm not sure how he had it locked down though.

tcchin

Dave,

FWIW, when my RC51 was stolen from work earlier this year, it was locked around the swingarm bracing with a Kryptonite EV Disc Lock/20mm Barbed Wire cable combination and tied off to a steel stairwell rail. The lock was picked and taken along with the bike, but the Barbed Wire cable was left behind.

Seems to me that the tumblers in the EV Disc Lock were the weakest link in that system, and that physically limiting access to them such that they would be hard to pick would have gone a long way toward protecting my bike. Of course, spending big money on an ABUS lock, as they as a company seem to be considerably more paranoid than Kryptonite, might have done the trick, too.

Using multiple locks (e.g., both rotor and chassis) is also a good deterrent against potential thieves. Hidden ignition cutout switches are can also prevent drive-off thefts - just be sure to use a high quality switch to prevent unwanted runtime power failures. Face the tumblers of a rotor lock inward to make picking the lock more difficult.

Unfortunatley, if a security system is convenient to use and transport, it's also typically easy to defeat. If you leave your bike in a theft-prone area, plan on investing in a fairly elaborate locking system that will take so long to take off, even with the keys, that theives will look elsewhere for a boost.

Good Luck,
Tim