News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ambulance Fees

Started by kangasj, August 20, 2002, 11:04:36 AM

kangasj

So, I got this bill for 600.00 from the ambulance company when I wrecked at Gateway.  I know WERA covers it with their insurance at their events.  What's the deal with the CCS ambulance service?  ANyone know?

TIA,
Jon

dave333

Have you tried calling or emailing Kevin or Tiffany?  I'm wondering if they charge more when you are semi-conscious and combative...

Gixxer124

At Gateway, you have no choice when it comes to riding in the ambulance or not. That's their policy. Make their insurance pay for it! (if it was just that easy)  Paul Mason broke his shoulderblade that same weekend. I was going to take him to the hospital but track officials said no way. I could see if it was life threating, but a broken shoulderblade? Hell, he went to work the next day!

GAMEDIC

Well i will tell you this...unless when you sign a waver it says you MUST ride in it...they CAN'T make you go by ambulance. I've been in this field for years and we risk a kidnapping charge if we take someone against their will if they are "with it"...

Eric Kelcher

insurance is not the part that CCS or WERA covers the ambulance rides with.
Some tracks rent their own ambulances and then they charge for the "use" of for injured riders other tracks it is included in the track rental and others the amulance is rented from seperate company and then somtimes they cover tranports some not.
If you do not have insurance or yours will not pay for ambulance rides then there is supplemental insurance at all CCS events that does help cover expenses. There is a deductible of $1000 that applies.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

r1owner

I crashed rather badly at Gateway at the last race there.  The ambulance came onto the track to get me, but did not require me to be transported to the hospital...even though I had a broken finger, foot and real sore back.

The paramedic kept asking me if I wanted a ride there, and I said no.  So they took me to the infield, and I signed a waiver stating I did not want them to take me to the hospital.

I didn't even know then that it would cost 600 to take that ride!  :o  It's going to cost a lot more to fix my bike though!  :-[

Dave_Alexander

From what I've heard, the CCS or track insurance covers the use of the ambulance AT THE TRACK.  If you receive care trackside it's no cost to you.  As soon as they leave the track (with you in it) the cost is on you.

Gixxer124

Paul told the track official he didn't need to go to hospital by ambulance. They told him that he had to. Track rules. I was there and heard them say it. Sounds like a scam to me. >:(

r1owner

QuotePaul told the track official he didn't need to go to hospital by ambulance. They told him that he had to. Track rules. I was there and heard them say it. Sounds like a scam to me. >:(

Weird....I had a nasty highside, and they didn't force me to go...

kangasj

QuoteHave you tried calling or emailing Kevin or Tiffany?  I'm wondering if they charge more when you are semi-conscious and combative...
LOL, were you there?  I don't remember swinging at anyone  ;D.  I do know that I really didn't want to go to the hospital because that always gets expensive....

kangasj

QuotePaul told the track official he didn't need to go to hospital by ambulance. They told him that he had to. Track rules. I was there and heard them say it. Sounds like a scam to me. >:(
Interesting, I don't remember this because I was still in la la land when it was said but my girlfriend said someone in CCS said they would pull my license if I didn't take the ride.  Not sure if it was just for that weekend or for good.  I know one thing, it was a pain in the ass to get out of the hospital.  They didn't want to let me go and were talking about keeping me overnight.  I basicall had to say nosiree, got off the table and started pulling things off/out.  Finally they let me sign a waiver and be on my way....

Eric Kelcher

Ah that explains alot
think you might have hit your head
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

r1owner

Yeah, I agree, if you were out of it, then it was wise to take the ride.

The first question they asked me was if I was conscious, then if I knew where I was.

I guess since I was alert, they didn't require the ride, but I can certainly see where they would make you go if you were out of it.

kangasj

QuoteAh that explains alot
think you might have hit your head
No if's and's or but's about it.  I rang my bell good.  I came to laying on the track trying to suck some air into my lungs.  Not a real fun get-off.

r1owner

Well, considering that, I'm glad to see that you are able to type these messages then! :)