Which Bike For The Most Classes?

Started by MightyDuc Racing, August 11, 2002, 06:52:10 AM

MightyDuc Racing

I posed a similar question before, asking which bike to buy as a beginner.  I, of course, got a lot of responses based on favorite bikes.  This time I am asking which bike (not a GP bike cuz I'm 6'0, 195 lbs) qualifies for the most classes in the southern CCS region (mainly Homestead and Moroso)?  I don't want to spend my entire savings on the bike because I need everything (I'm too fat for my old stuff) but boots, gloves, and helmets.  I see a lot of 600's that are race ready for $2500-$4000, and that seems to be a bike that leaves a lot of room for improvement as you get better, but I don't think there's that many classes for them.  I really want an SV, but can't really spend $4500+ on my first bike.  Any opinions or knowledge of this subject would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, I want a bike that will be competitive as I get better.  Thanks in advance!
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

bfkidd

SV's are fun bikes to race, the lightweight classes have smaller grids, and there's less pressure I think for someone starting. Plus there are 5 classes where you have a shot at winning with it.

600's require a little more commitment to go really fast on. But, if you can ride one, you can run every class out there except for the lightweight stuff and be competitive.

If you want to trade paint right away and think you can make an impact immediately then get a 600. Otherwise get an SV and I promise you, you would not be disapointed.

sdiver68

With some exception, (very fast rider on a smaller track), the SV won't be competitive in GTU or GTO.  I think you would want to get the experience of the mini-endurance races in addition to the sprints?

BTW, you could save money and power-weight ratio by working out and losing the extra  :D
MCRA Race School Instructor

MightyDuc Racing

I was 230 lbs last winter!  ;D  I plan on losing another 10 lbs or so, but I'm not really fat, I just have big shoulders and legs from the football days.  Nobody told me the muscle wouldn't keep itself in shape when I got older!  :o  Thanks for the advice, I think I'm gonna get an SV if I can find one I can afford.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

r6_philly

600's are eligible in all the MW classes and all the HW/Unlimited classes. SV's are good for all the above classes and the LW classes. You can enter 14 races over a weekend on a SV. And some people does amazing times on SV's.

I say get a SV, it is better for learning too. I wish I had gotten an SV instead of my measly 600

Litespeed

Don't ask how many classes the bike can run in.  Figure out how many classes you can afford on a week to week basis then pick your bike based on that.  I usually run 3 races per weekend which is plenty and just about any bike can make this.  If you have the money to run 14 races you probably need an SV, a 600 and a 750/1000 and can even afford them.  The biggest drawback of an SV is that some are wicked fast and stock ones are very much on the opposite side of the spectrum.  This means you will need all the parts to be competitive eventually whereas a 600 only needs minor mods to run up front.

Sean_Alexander

My SV has a bone stock motor + pipe and jet kit.  I'm 225Lbs and I finish top 3 every race on it.  It is true that on longer tracks a really hot SV will walk away on the straights, but overall for your first year or two, the modifications (other than suspension re-valving / springs) aren't going to make a big difference to you.

TZDeSioux

QuoteThis time I am asking which bike (not a GP bike cuz I'm 6'0, 195 lbs)

Your size is fine for a GP bike as long as it's a 250. There's about 5 amateurs in my region who ride TZ250's and 3 of them including myself are all around 6-6'2 with me being the fatest one at 210lbs. My bike moves out even with my fatass on it and I don't get pulled too badly by the 600's most of the time.. :) The only downfall is that your very limited in the classes you can run. Lightweight GP is the best class for a GP bike. MWGP and GTU.. they'll kill you on the starts and outdrive you out of every corner.. it makes for a messy race but it's still the funnest darn thing to ride if you ask me :)

Gixxer124

QuoteThis time I am asking which bike (not a GP bike cuz I'm 6'0, 195 lbs)

me being the fatest one at 210lbs. quote]

210!  :o :o :o :o :o

TZDeSioux

Quote from: KC124 quote210!  :o :o :o :o :o

What the hell did you think I weigh? I'm a fatboy!  :P

Gixxer124

QuoteWhat the hell did you think I weigh? I'm a fatboy!  :P

I just thought you looked big because your bike is so small. ;D

pmoravek

I just started this Spring and I bought an FZR400.
You can get one (fully prepped) for about $2000 and you'll be able to run most of the lightweight classes. It's a great bike to learn on because it handles so well. You will get smoked by most of the SV's but then later in the season when you finish ahead of a few of them, it's a real sense of accomplishment!  You can also ride middleweight sportsman which SV's aren't qualified for. You'll be matched against other FZR's, EX500's & Aprilia 250's. That's a lot of fun too.

FullMoonRacing

Anyone that has the stamina and the $$ for 14 races every weekend all year long is leading charmed life, big time!  ...next I'm going to hear that this guy(s) is sponsored by Playboy, has an IQ of 187 and owns Heinekin.

MightyDuc Racing

I have a 178 IQ, am sponsored by a wife that COULD be in Playboy, and DRINK Heineken on the golf course, but 14 races is out...lol!
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: