News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV Advice

Started by EM JAY, December 30, 2003, 11:41:03 AM

james-redsv

You dont need a tach on and SV. :D I dont think I have ever even looked at mine during a race. The only thing I have used it for is to set the idle speed. ;D

EM JAY

So sharkskins vs. hotbodies?   Sharkskins has contingincy right but arent they more expensive?  Mix n matchable?

Also, what if anything can you do to the airbox and still run all classes?  What can't you do that will limit classes?
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

Pudge

QuoteHey Pudge you stealin' my thread?  >:(    J/K ;D
  Naa, I hadn't even thought of using a tach, I haven't used one before :o I jsut kinda went by "sound" on my MZ... ;D ;)

Sorry for the threadjack.  :o ;D

I need the tach.  I'm still getting used to a v twin.

dylanfan53

QuoteSo sharkskins vs. hotbodies?   Sharkskins has contingincy right but arent they more expensive?  Mix n matchable?

Also, what if anything can you do to the airbox and still run all classes?  What can't you do that will limit classes?

ok, back to you then Jordan...
1. I've got Sharkskinz and love 'em.  Good quality and hold up as well as anything when you know what happens.  I think they have some sort of contingency money but I listed them as sponsor and stickered the bike for tech, etc. and despite several first place finishes as an amateur last year and usually in the top five I never saw anything from them.  They must not have anything for am classes.
2. Check the rules on airbox.  You can't  do anything to the airbox or change carbs and still run supersport class.  The filter can be changed but had to be the same opening as stock.  (BMC has two, maybe three sizes).

Most important is suspension.  Traxxion will do front end for $400 for your weight.  I know it's a lot, but worth every penny if you have it.  If you do it yourself, get the right springs, emulators, fork oil weight and level and sag.

Everything else can be seen in the various ads posted in classifieds showing what others have done.  

Final tip: go to BRGracing.com and order a 1/5 turn throttle adapter so you don't have to wring the throttle around so much.  

http://www.brgracing.com/fithturnthrotle.html

Very useful little thing. You'll have to get a pipe cutter to modify the throttle cable sheath but it's easy to do.  I have no vested interest, just a happy customer.
HTH!
Don Cook
CCS #53

dylanfan53

QuoteI need the tach....

Me too.  Let's not tell anyone.
 8)
A used one will only be about $40 - $50 on Ebay.  If you wrap it with bicycle inner tube rubber and mount it in a double thick aluminum sheet you'll have a very useable tach and a panel you can stick a lap timer or temp  gauge on.

Ooh, I just had an idea.  I can take one of my wife's cookie sheets for my next dash! Woo Hoo!   ;D
Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

MJ. if you're talking about Andy's bike...I think it has Hyperpro springs in the front too.  Best case, Andy had 4&6 do the internals too.  But, if he didn't call them and talk with Jim or Shawn.  Probably have some kind of deal for you being one of my students.

After you ride the SV, you'll want to sell the MZ, but isn't that Andy's too?
Super Dave

EM JAY

;)  Dave you are correct, the Sv is Andy's and the MZ I ride was at one time also.  What is it with me getting his hand me down's??   ;D  

I plan on probably keeping the MZ for the new Ultra LightWeight Superbike class.  

Yea, I think more than likely 4&6 has done the forks also.  

Man I can't wait to start!!!!!!!
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

Super Dave

I'd like to wait, but I've got 51 days before I leave for Daytona.  Lots to do, lots to do!  I'd like a longer off season after all these years.
Super Dave

EM JAY

QuoteI'd like to wait, but I've got 51 days before I leave for Daytona.  Lots to do, lots to do!  I'd like a longer off season after all these years.

:-/  Yea, the only reason I would like to wait would be to get some more $$$$ before the season starts.

I have some info that may help you with your funding for your Childhood Cancer riding if your intrested.  My Step. Mother has done the Avon Breast Walks accross the states and has a ton of contacts that may help.
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

Super Dave

Super Dave