Ultra-Light Superbike Class  question

Started by Suicide_Blonde, December 28, 2003, 04:31:34 PM

CCS854

FTZ
  Just had surgery today on L. hand and R. ulnar nerve to fix some old  race injuries so it'll be a f ew weeks before I c an  ride...look for me at Summit at thend of May.  Good luck :)

wera331

how dose a xb9 get to be ultra light weight?they come stock with about 100hp. they out power everything out there.I bet buell likes beating old hawks ,mzs , fzrs and other old sportsman class motorcycles. I guess a win is a win.just so I get this right the same buells Barnes and others race in ama formula extream are legal for ultralight weight superbike.dose this sound funny to anyone eles?

PJ

XB9 was legal for the Middleweight Sportsman Class, which is what the new ULSB class rules follow.

Also legal are RS 250/316s, Ducati 800s, Hawk 700s, FZR4/5s, 900 Triumph carbed, etc.

Tough for a single to compete in this crowd. But then there weren't too many singles racing to begin with...

As for the XB9 (stock rwhp about 80 with a pipe) being the same bike that Barney and Ciccotto race in AMA FX...hardly. Those are highly modified bikes with larger than 984cc displacement and big hp.

I've raced the class (MWSp and now ULSB) for the past two seasons. The XB9 is competitive. But so are the Ducatis, Aprilias, Hawks and FZRs. The bottom line is that this class needs more bikes, not less.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

duc995@aol.com

The Buell also has the added '007' features like smoke screens, spraying oil and throwing projectiles (ie nuts and bolts) ...albiet, not on command... that add to it's ability to fend off the competition! ;D

PJ

I won the F-USA GT Lights Team Challenge national championship and three regional championships with my Buell XB9 last year and the only thing that ever ejected itself without warning all season was...

...me.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

Super Dave

Yeah, and they can actually run inside the top ten at AMA Formula Extreme races...Yeah, it ain't Supersport, but it's all the AMA has for them.

Not bad for air cooling and four valves...total.
Super Dave

CCS854

Quote...Tough for a single to compete in this crowd. But then there weren't too many singles racing to begin with...  

...I've raced the class (MWSp and now ULSB) for the past two seasons. The XB9 is competitive. But so are the Ducatis, Aprilias, Hawks and FZRs. The bottom line is that this class needs more bikes, not less.

I just did a WERA race at VIR, and we had 10 or 11 entries in Clubman Expert for a regular regional event,  and except for the 'modern' thumpers, most could run in some vintage class also.    

When I first heard from CCS that they were eliminating SuperSingles & LW Sportsman, it sounded like they were simply combining the two classes...no big deal, since they both came out of the original Sportsman class to begin with (my historical perspective only goes back to '96).  Sportsman was pretty much CCS's version of WERA's Clubman, before they created HW Sprtsmn in '97 & later MW Sprtsmn.

It wasn't until I read this forum that I realized what classes were actually included.  Bottom line would appear to be that CCS is going to have FEWER bikes in this class, as all the old Sportsman bikes (LW Sprtsmn/S. Singles) now have no class to race competitively in.  It seems unlikely that I'll bother to race my old LW Sportsman bikes w/CCS since I'd have to beat F-USA Thunderbikes/riders.

Ironically, I can run my carbed Triumph against EX500, et al, but can't enter it in Thunderbikes.  Strange class structure indeed...looks like the Buell lobby prevailed here ;)

PJ

I suspect it's more a function of people racing unexpected and wierdo bikes than anything else.

The Middleweight Sportsman rules (now Ultralight Superbike) allowed air-cooled two valve push rods up to 1050cc. When the XB 984 came out in 2003, it fit the class, not the other way around.

I doubt there's any conspiracy to keep your Triumph out of Thunderbike, just a rules oversight on a rare motorcycle.

BTW, you are not alone. Duane Francis rode a Triumph in UL Superbike at the Barber F-USA/CCS race.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

Super Dave

QuoteI suspect it's more a function of people racing unexpected and wierdo bikes than anything else.

Yeah, baby...

Unlimited air cooled two strokes...

Motor is being delivered to Blackhawk...

Rear axle is almost done...

;D
Super Dave

PJ

QuoteMotor is being delivered to Blackhawk...

Rear axle is almost done...

Excellent! Just bring it baby...
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

CCS854

Quote...Idoubt there's any conspiracy to keep your Triumph out of Thunderbike, just a rules oversight on a rare motorcycle.

BTW, you are not alone. Duane Francis rode a Triumph in UL Superbike at the Barber F-USA/CCS race.

On the subject of conspiracy theories..., "in reality, there's usually less to things than meets the eye".  The Triumph is only an example of how oddly these classes are structured...it's just a trackday bike so far, but the MuZ was a long-term, big buck project to run in CCS LW Sprtsmn, Super Singles, WERA CLubman & DSS.

Nah, I just think the result of the present class structure will be to push the real 'Ultra' L/W guys away from CCS.  Maybe the total grids will pick up as a result of some Thunderbike bikes having another class to run, probably not.  It's kind of sad to see the old Sportsman/LW SPrtsmn/Super Singles bikes run off, but it makes no sense to run an old LW Sprtsmn bike with CCS if you have another series available.  

I've enjoyed racing w/CCS for several yrs, but I can't see renewing my license if there's no class to run in.  Like I said earlier, it'll be great if CCS restores some version of the old Sportsman class, but I'm sure not going to sell my MuZ after what I put in it to build a racebike for the current U/LW Sprtsmn class, when I can run it competitively in WERA & AHRMA as it is.  

CCS854

Quote...I just did a WERA race at VIR, and we had 10 or 11 entries in Clubman Expert for a regular regional event,  and except for the 'modern' thumpers, most could run in some vintage class also...

Correction: there were 10-11 bikes in Clubman Ex & Nov combined at WERA/VIR, not Clubman Ex as I stated...my mistake :'(