News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Super Dave Vintage Daytona 2004?

Started by Super Dave, December 07, 2003, 09:32:13 AM

Super Dave

I've been asked to race one of Team Hansen Honda CB450's for Team Hansen Honda at Daytona in March.  Hoping to put together my H1, but I might be racing the CB400F also that I raced for Cafe Scuderia/Power House Racing.

http://teamhansenhonda.com/index.htm

The Bob Hansen and the Team Hansen Honda's are the origins of our current production based racing programs today.
Super Dave

Woofentino Pugrossi

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

No, the CB400F was an air cooled Honda from about 1974 to 1976.  CB-1 is a late model liquid cooled Honda that was trying to pull off the popularity of the original 400F.

The CB450 is a twin.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Ah, here's a picture of the 400F with me on it in 1995 at Heartland Park.

The CB450 is on the site above.  I don't have a picture of me on it.  Rode it two times last year in 2002.  
Super Dave

Burt Munro

Look at them chrome wheels!!  ;D

Congrats on the deal! I'll be pulling for you.  

I still have good memories of the 400F.

Hopefully, Heartland will be back in shape soon to be a top level track again.

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Super Dave

Chrome?  Nah, that's polished aluminum.  We're racin' not ridin' some kind of cruiser...LOL!

Parts of Heartland Park Topeka have been repaved.  Sounds like some of the hill that was to the left of the straight before turn one has been leveled and that turn one is more of a sweeping corner.

And the last corner goes onto the pit road for the road race straight.

All I know right now.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Three dates at Heartland?

http://www.hpt.com/roadcourse.htm

This at least shows the FUSA date....
Super Dave

motomadness

Awesome.  Kick some butt.  What day during Bike Week will this race take place?

The FUSA date was from this year wasn't it?

Super Dave

Sean, I think you're right about the FUSA date....Duh!

March 1/2, Monday & Tuesday after CCS and before AMA Pro.

Really want to win.  The CB400F is hard to win on.  Yamaha RD400's, TR2/3's can, and do, make a good 70HP and weigh in at about 220.  The 400F comes in at 330 and 55HP.  It's a lot to give up at Daytona.  I need a couple of things changed on the suspension too to make it worth while.

CB450...not as confident on it.  Drum brakes at the front, and if the geometry isn't how I like it, I can't stop it like I would like it to.  But the competition is really, really tough.  The class for that one is 500 Premier.  So, it's an international field.  The team will probably have three or four CB450's, there will be one to two other teams with CB450s.  Might be some Matchless G50's (they'd cost you about $50k to make one right for vintage racing), some really expensive Norton Manx's, etc.  Even some side valve Harley 750's.  
Super Dave

cstem

I really wish AHRMA would do some more roadracing here in Phoenix.  I announced the Bikefest here last year with AHRMA and what a bunch of great folks and bikes.  Good racing too!  At least I get to announce the AHRMA Motocross in Phoenix again in '04 thanks to Dave Boydston.  You should hook up a dirtbike and make it down!  I got to interview my childhood heroes Brad Lackey and Jim Pomeroy last year.  
The voice of the Southwest.

Super Dave

Yeah, AHRMA is cool.  

I was teamed with Gary Fisher in 2002 on Honda CR750's.  Gary was the guy that crashed on the dirt track, broke his back, then soaked the cast off.  He was also a factory Yamaha road racer too.

Anyway, he knows all the legendary guys...He and Gary Nixon just pick at each other all the time.  Got to drink beers quite a bit with Carol Rewsweber and Jim Leonard...the only guy to have AMA and USAC (Pre CART open wheel racing) titles.  Way cool.  Saw Brad out at dinner once too.

Would like to do more AHRMA stuff, but scheduling is also a problem.

And then let's talk about rules.  When I was racing the CB400F in 1994 to 1997, there was probably twenty five to forty five entries in the Formula 500 class.  Anymore, there are only a handfull.  First, they required the 400F's to use the stock exhaust (it drags) or you had to make a four into four system.  That cost my owner about $1200 to $1600 to make.  There are still carburetor issues too.  Currently, the bike has Amal carbs...they won't allow any reasonable carb that is available.
Super Dave

cstem

Yes Ahrma rules can be constrictive to say the least.  I tell our racers who like to complain about tech about all the stuff we used to require be lockwired and they usually clam up.  Well good luck and post pic's.  Love the glory days!
The voice of the Southwest.

stumpy

Good to see ya on a HONDA Dave!! You look much younger and handsome :-*  Congrats on the ride!

StUmPy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Super Dave

What Honda would you like to see me on?

Super Dave

tigerblade

Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Super Dave

LOL!  Usually, the guys that own the bikes have that taken care of...

But Nate R is going to be with me as my crew chief...so he'll be in the thick of it.  Then again, with the vintage stuff, the owners usually like to have everyone else's hands off for obvious reasons.  The blue Honda CR750 above...well, I think the owner might part with it for $70k.
Super Dave

dwilson

CB450 & a CB400F?  Awsome!  I used to ride a CB350F, it was a blast.  I rode one to college & work everyday for years.  When I finally upgraded to a Silverwing I gave it to my girlfriend and she rode it for years...  I also had a chopped CB450 (maybe out of a black bomber), raked and rigid, 8' long & 350 lbs with gas, oil & battery.  The torsion bar valve springs were great, only had to worry about floating the points at 12K RPM  :o

Super Dave

Now, these are not mine, remember.  I'm just lucky enough to get to race them. ;D
Super Dave

Super Dave

How about this one?

This was a Motorcyclist magazine project bike.  They raced it in the April 1997 issue (the race was from June of 1996), and I just about beat them on the CB400F.

I raced the bike for the owner in 1997.  Here I am at Mid-Ohio.

Super Dave

Super Dave

I think that race report is in the Motorcyclist online archive...

And for you, Stumpy, the Honda that I owned and raced.  The bike was good to me.

Sorry to put up so many pictures...LOL.  I just figured out how I could do this easily.
Super Dave

tigerblade

QuoteLOL!  Usually, the guys that own the bikes have that taken care of...

But Nate R is going to be with me as my crew chief...so he'll be in the thick of it.  

Since all the real work is taken, that frees me to worry about beer aquisition then.  Perfect.   8)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Super Dave

Super Dave