News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Racer Web-Sites

Started by EM JAY, December 04, 2003, 09:37:18 AM

EM JAY

Looking for advice.  What costs are involved, how hard to maintain, update, etc.  Anything will help.  I'm looking into having an associate do one for me, I've seen others he's done but don't know all what's involved.   ???  
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

MadXX

if you are just doing a basic site you have to pay hosting and domian registration.   godaddy.com rocks for domains at $8.95/year and their hosting is $4-$10/month depending on what you want for extras and how popular your site is going to be.  I have used their domain services and have had good results but not the hosting so I cannot speak for quality of that feature.

Ease of maintenance depends on your computer knowledge.  If you are reasonably savvy you can make your own updates and ftp them up.  If you are a point and click type of person you will need to find an editor that does the HTML and uploading for you.  Talk to your associate to find a good one and have him show you.  What to use depends somewhat on how he designs the site.

Either way a website is dirt cheap to do and easy to update if you are somewhat knowledgeable and/or willing to learn.  The most expensive part is getting someone to create/update it if you don't know how to do it yourself or have someone willing to help you out.

KBOlsen

Amen to that!  It's hell when you have to beg and bribe folks to do your stuff. >:(
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Nate R

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

SliderPhoto

What do you want to do with it?

EM JAY

Thanks for the replys.   ;)

Jack, I just want to have something posted to list sponsors and give updates on my season, show a few pic's etc.  Nothing to "busy" looking.  Just a simple set up.
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote Thanks for the replys.   ;)

Jack, I just want to have something posted to list sponsors and give updates on my season, show a few pic's etc.  Nothing to "busy" looking.  Just a simple set up.

Like a picture of a truck tire in Nashville? LOL  ;)  ;D
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

r6_philly

I think I am going to start offering basic racing site services to racers, flat fee and I will keep it updated and hosted for 1 year. I say

$20 domain
$150 for hosting (1 year)
$120 for updating

$300. Is that reasonable?

riopko

Go to www.tripod.com

Basic site is free and the have easy to use tools to build and maintain the site. All for free. They just place some banner ads on your site.

MadXX

Dafan I was just thinking along the same lines as well as I have been creating and hosting sites for a few years now.  Who whould do their initial design under your plan?  Would they have a basic site template set up for them or would there be more design involved such as custom graphics, layout, logos, team info, etc... Just curious.  

Your plan sounds reasonable in terms of costs.  Most professionals around here would charge $30-$60/hour for modifications.  You figure if you modify the site after each race for 8 races a season thats 6-8 hours coming out to a minimum of $180/season in changes, likely more.  Your domain costs of $20 would include dns maintenance so thats not bad and the hosting comes out to 12.50/month which is reasonable as well.

A question I would have is what would a racer pay for a site that is raceer specific and easy to update themselves? (such as online tools to edit content, upload pictures, etc...)  Being a person working in web tech for ages I could create one heck of a nice site manager as I have done it many times before, but would enough people want it to make it worth the time and $$$ it would take to set this up?

Another question which I probably should ask first is what else is out there for racers? does everyone maintain their own sites or are there offerings out there which do what they need to do for a reasonable price?  or is it a crap shoot and you gotta know someone to get it done?

r6_philly

I don't think most racers do websites because they think it is too involved and it would cost too much to have someone create one for them. If they do it themselves it wouldn't look too professional.

So under my plan they would create a concept template and I make the design for them, then upgrade the content.

I could also set up site manager, or a preset PHP tool loaded to change the site by just updating text and pic info, but then it would again require some tech knowledge.

I have been doing web app's for many years, and automating is obviously the way to go in most cases, but this case, I don't think so. I think having someone to take care of it may be the better way to go because it will get done right. And it wouldn't  have to be so "standard" looking because everything came out of the same template.

So I think I am willing to offere the entire service for $300 per year. It is not much more expensive than if you take care of it yourself, and it would get done right.

I have created and maintained small to corporate websites for the last 10 years. I have since gotten out of the "web design" business, but I would love to maintain racer's sites because we would all benefit, and I don't mind doing it.

Any takers?

GAMEDIC

QuoteI think I am going to start offering basic racing site services to racers, flat fee and I will keep it updated and hosted for 1 year. I say

$20 domain
$150 for hosting (1 year)
$120 for updating

$300. Is that reasonable?
LOL...you took my prices... that is almost exactly what i charge for sites
Mine are all unlimited email accounts and unlimited space and transfer