News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Lap Times Car vs. Bike

Started by motobenco, December 03, 2003, 12:13:22 PM

motobenco

The latest Car and Driver has the new GT40, 911 GT3 and Ferrari Challenge cars running laps around Gingerman in the following times.

GT40 1:32.13
GT3   1:34.15
FS     1:34.19

What do you guys/girls have for Blackhawk / RA etc? I remember some 1:26's for the CCS racersat Ginger.
Rescue and restoration of 60's & 70's motorcycles, former pro-racer, motorsports enthusiast.

Super Dave

Yeah, the lap record is like a 1:24 something.  Janisch did a 26 and maybe touched a 25 on his R6.  I think he was into like a 28 on his SV.
Super Dave

Woofentino Pugrossi

I doubt those C&D drivers were even pushing those cars to the limit. Who wants to be responsible for wrecking a $200,000+ car? ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

r6_philly

when they did a piece with sport compact car I think at beaver, they were running about 10 seconds behind a "ok" bike time. I would love to see what the exotics would do. I still dont think they can touch 600's times.

Now I would love to drive an Elise around any track... maybe have to get one next year.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Those were street cars on street tires.  Race cars are faster than we are.  What they lack in HP is more than made made up by their wings and slicks at most technical tracks.  What I'd be interested in is Daytona.  Would our light weight and acceleration make up for the handling deficet at a place like that?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Gumby647

The only car lap time I found for Daytona was pole for the 1996 24 hour race. 1:41.244. Troy Corser's qualifying time for that year was a 1:49.      

lil_thorny

crazy fresh gumby gold!!!!!!!!
I used to race cars...now I just get speeding tickets.
in all the 15 years that I raced carts/cars, I never...
ever felt as tho I could be injured....so here's to BIG BALLS and motorcycle racers everywhere :

YOU KICK A$$
 ;D

thirty.

dwilson

I remember a couple years ago Cycle World did an article "Car Vs Bike" or something like that.  They put a Corvette with good tires up against a Hyabusa, also with good tires.  The Hyabusa beat it in every category.  Imagine what an R6 would have done to it ;D

motobenco

Here are some stats from the 24 hours of Daytona

The quickest lap time of the day was recorded by the #58 Porsche-powered FABCAR Daytona Prototype of Brumos Racing. On its first-ever day of testing the #58 Porsche recorded at 1:48.980 lap at 117.600 mph. The #88 Ford Focus Daytona Prototype posted the second-fastest time with a 115.015 mph lap in 1:51.429.

The GTS class was led by Derhaag Motorsports #40 Corvette, with the father-son duo of Derek and Justin Bell sharing driving duties with Simon Gregg. The Corvette clocked a 1:51.377 lap at 115.015 mph. Orbit Racing's #45 Porsche GT3 R posted the quickest GT time with at 113.139 mph in 1:53.277.

Seventeen Grand-Am Cup cars are also at the Speedway this weekend including a Nissan 350Z from Schuitemaker Motorsports and a pair of Mini Coopers from Nuzzo Motorsports. The fastest cars in the first two rounds on Friday were #7 Doncaster Racing/Porsche in GS I at 2:02.875/104.301 mph, #41 Planet Earth Motorsports/Porsche in GS II at 2:10.670/98.079 mph, #20 Nuzzo Motorsports/Mini Cooper S in ST I at 2:22.620/89.861 mph and #44 HRPworld.com/Acura Integra in ST II at 2:27.937/86.631 mph.
Rescue and restoration of 60's & 70's motorcycles, former pro-racer, motorsports enthusiast.

motobenco

Here are some Road America times from the Lemans series as well. The CART guys are well into the 1:44's. I think they still use the kink and not the bend though.  

Fastest Race Lap (LMP 900) – Frank Biela, Germany; Audi R8, 1:53.403 (126.981 mph), July, 2002.
Fastest Race Lap (LMP 675) – Jon Field, Dublin, OH; Lola EX257-MG, 1:56.944 (123.136), July, 2002.
Fastest Race Lap (GTS) – Oliver Gavin, England; Chevrolet Corvette C5-R, 2:05.180 (115.034 mph), July, 2002.
Fastest Race Lap (GT) – Jorg Bergmeister, Germany; Porsche 911 GT3 RS, 2:14.180 (107.319 mph), July, 2002.

Bike times from AMA last year, add +/- 8 secs for the new bend.

It was a good day for Mladin and his Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000. Prior to the 16-lap Superbike race, he had scored his 28th career AMA Superbike pole position with a time of 2-min 15.159-secs for the 6.44km (4.00miles) Wisconsin circuit during the morning's final qualifying session. Second fastest was Mladin's teammate Aaron Yates (2:15.710), followed by Kurtis Roberts (Erion Honda, 2:15.825) and Eric Bostrom (Team Kawasaki, 2:16.030).

The 16-lap Superbike race quickly turned into a furious high-speed battle between Suzuki mounted Mladin and the Honda's of Miguel DuHamel and Kurtis Roberts, with each taking turn at holding the race lead. Mladin kept his best for last as his final lap produced an amazing new lap record of 2:14.740 which saw him pass DuHamel at Turn Five on his way to his sixth race victory of the season. At the end, just 0.79 of a second separated Mladin from DuHamel and Roberts.

Who has the record for CCS at RA?

Gumby647

RE: Daytona laps times.

I tell you it's real progress that the top roadrace cars that run at the track are only 10 seconds a lap slower than they were 7 years ago. I thought race cars were supposed to get faster?

lil_thorny

tshort

Cars are faster than bikes.  More rubber. :P
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tigerblade

QuoteCars are faster than bikes.  More rubber. :P

I was going to make some comment like "That goes against conventional wisdom that the more rubber you put on the slower you go" but decided it was even below my already exceedingly low comedy standards.   8)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

TZDeSioux

how about downforce which allows a car to corner harder and faster than a bike.

Super_KC124

Has anyone ever seen the in car view from a CART/INDY car at Road America? I don't think they even brake going into turn 1. :o :o :o

Super Dave

I was at the Ginasse (sorry, I can't spell Chip's name) Target shop late Friday night.  Was pretty cool.  Basically they make all their own stuff.  Lots of money.  But they really make lots of stuff all on their own.  You could see the logic in everything they made.

Anyway, remember how production based motorcycle racing is and how fast a bike really goes.

The Target IRL cars weigh in at about 1500#.  Got to learn some new names for metals that I had never heard of.  And I can't remember the HP figures, but I think 800 might be right.  So, my R6 would need about 200HP to be comperable in that way.  But then again, I add a good deal of weight too where a drive makes a difference, but not as much as I do on a bike.

Anyway, then there is the traction issue.  Tires = mechanical traction...the sheer size of the contact patch obviously is huge compared to the two business card size points of contact that a bike usually has.

Then aerodynamic traction = down force.  The new car was there.  It's really, really different from the 2003 car.

Actually, each car is really different.  We went to the area where they had all the tractors and trailers, and on the far wall...

Well, it was funny...

The old cars (2002, 2001) were all just kind of fork lifted to mounts on a wall.  Probably about 18 cars.  That's where they sit.  Might get sold some day, maybe not.  They don't use them for anything.  Rules change and development goes in other directions, so they aren't useful for parts or anything.  You just start from scratch with what you know.

We even got to go into Chip's office.  No major deal, it was simple.  The whole operation's main office is in Pittsburg.  Anyway, there was a little framed thing on the wall...Telegram from Western Union.  "Your driver has won the Indianapolis 500 Stop congratulations stop A J Foyt"  Cool...
Super Dave