News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Team Hammer School

Started by rmahr137, July 31, 2002, 02:28:16 PM

rmahr137

I am looking for any opinions of people that have taken the Team Hammer school.  I am thinking about taking it this year at Daytona.  Is it worth the extra $75 to take the school rather than just do the practice.

Thanks,

Rod

THE_D.O.C.

rod, if you feel you need some instruction, i'd say go for it. personally, any rider here could use it if it is productive. hell yeah, go for it!! i might even see you there.

Zeb_Proctor

Quoterod, if you feel you need some instruction, i'd say go for it. personally, any rider here could use it if it is productive. hell yeah, go for it!! i might even see you there.
125 doesn't need the school!!!  ;D ... seriously, you should take it, you can get something from any school....

rmahr137

any school will help, but I was just wondering what it was like, like how much one-on-one instruction there may be, track time versus classroom time, that kind of stuff.

The website isn't the most informative.

skydiver19

A buddy of mine took the Hammer school at Daytona this year in March and was pretty disappointed.  He expected at least some one-on-one instruction on lines, entrance and cornering speed, etc...  All it turned out to be was him following around the instructor (for as long as he could keep up on his FZR400...) then pulling into the pits.  There wasn't even a lot of debrief.  

Just what I've heard.  Take it for what it's worth.  You could probably find someone at the practice day who will lead or follow you around for a couple of laps and five you feedback--buy them a Gatorade and you saved $74...

prov431

Rod,
   I just read through the website, and would have to agree....not the most informative is it? I couldn't even come up with any contact info to ask a question besides the mailing address.
   I didn't quite understand the pricing guidlines they set out for licensed racers. If you only want to do Wed. October 16th and you are a licensed racer, how much is it? $150.00 + $35.00?? Or is it higher if you aren't running a scheduled race after the school day / practice day? Is there even a scheduled race after the school / practice day? Any info that anyone can provide to clear up my confusion would be most appreciated!

bfkidd

If you are racing with CCS at Daytona it is $150 to practice on the day before CCS has their practice/team challenge. In that regards it is just like a practice day at any other track the day before the racing event starts. They used to charge the registration fee for racers but they dropped it for this year.

By the way, with the way practice ends up on Thursday, you might get 2 rounds if you are lucky. The Team Hammer day is the only time you are going to have to really learn, and or get up to speed at Daytona. I am not endorsing them, I am just saying you won't get any real practice time on Thrusday.

Eric Kelcher

I understand your problems with the the program but I would go up and ask Michael Martin for some personal time he will be sure someone helps you. normal procedure has been if you have a problem come in and they will flag a control rider in to help you with particular corner(s) if you have not arranged something prior to session.

Oh by the way mention to Michael that real racers ride YSRs, he loves those little machines.  ::)
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Super Dave

Rod,

You ride well.  Doubt you would get anything out of the Daytona school.

I could probably help you locally, and give you some attention at Daytona.  Up to you though.  I know that you haven't really looked me up in the past for any help.
Super Dave

Eric_L

I took it a number of years ago and thought it was well worth it. I got LOTS of personal instruction from Chuck Graves; learned a lot even though I crashed in the rain & had to quit early.

Extra bonus lesson: don't think you can ride like Chuck Graves on rain tires when you're on street tires and clumsy.  ;D

rmahr137

Thanks, Dave.  That sounds like the best plan.  I can talk to you later about what days you are going to be down at Daytona.  

I am planning on taking your September 5th school at Blackhawk.  Are you usually there for the Friday practice days?

Next time I see you (are you going to the AHRMA Putnam Round) we can work something out.  Maybe find a good gas station to loiter in front off.

G_2_G

Rod don't bother with the Hammer school.  Josh went to it a couple of years ago and said it was the worst school ever.  Are you going to Gingerman.