News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

180 Rear on SV650?

Started by lbk, December 01, 2003, 11:28:25 AM

lbk

Anyone running this setup? If so how did you get the spacers made and what did you use for the sprocket, rotor, and caliper?

Nate R

No reason to. Slower turn in, and a sub 90 HP SV doesn't have the power to necessitate at 180.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

lbk

Sure there is, I have a GSXR rear wheel that I want to use on the bike I'm building for my wife otherwise I have to sacrafice my spare rear which means rains won't be mounted. :D

So anyone know how?

Bad_Matt

Spear's Enterprises in Cambell CA has a spacer kit available for an F3 rear wheel.  You end up using the Honda Sprocket.  In my opinion a 180 is pretty big meat for racing.  Unless you are going to just be showing off a huge tire or are pulling huge horse power that requires more contact, stick with a 160 on the wider rim.  I have found the F3 wheel gives me a better contact patch and allows me to use the entire surface of the tire giving me better lean angle too.

Good luck

Nate R

Ahh! In that case, I'll do some research. I know someone that has done it.

Either the stock spacers need to be turned down on a lathe, or you need to make your own, I don't remember. Either way, I can probably do it for you.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Zac

FYI - if you're running a 5.5 inch rim on an SV, all the 250 GP slicks and rains (160 and 165) are designed to fit a 5.5 rim as all the 250s under 10 years old run a 5.5 rim.  So you don't need to run a 180 just to use a wide rim.

-z.

racer865

If you run dots it makes financial sense to use 180  I have piles of 160 takeoffs I can't give away but the 180 takeoffs I can sell to the squids and drag racers in my area as fast as I get them. Sure helps the tire budget. I'll gladly put up with a little slower steering to save a decent amount of cash over a season. Just another viewpoint to consider.

lbk

More or less I just want to use the rear 97' GSXR rim I already have. This isn't my race bike, my race bike runs stock rims and I won't be changing that especially since I have a spare set of rims.

So anyway Nate if you could find that out, I would greatly appreciate it, and if you can make the spacers that would be even better. :D

mmills416

I've been running a 180 on a 5.5 all year, it's no problem.  I have an old Marvic for a ducati.  I have to use the ducati cush drive and had custom spacers and the brake carrier machined to align the drive and chain.  I also have a 5.5 marvic made for the SV which uses the stock setup.  All you have to do is align the chain line a wheel alignment, then make spacers to the right size. Any machinist should be able to help with for a couple hours work.  Shouldn't cost more than $80 in labor and parts.

MudDawg

I have a 5.5 dymag running 180's.  Had that for several years.  Much better traction for the 700 engine.  (95+ hp)  But yes....it does turn 'slower'.  I don't mind that since I'm a bug guy and can throw my belly over to one side and get it to turn pretty quick anyway.  :-)

If you don't have the higher hp....ya don't need it.  It would just cost you some of the nimbleness the SV is known for...and have nothing to fall back on.

Nate R

well, that sounds easy.

LBK, do you still need my help on info then? I can do the spacers.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

lbk

Yeah Nate, I'd like to have you do the spacers. So what would be the next step? Should I bring the chassis up to you. Just want measurements? You let me know what you need.

Just email me.

Nate R

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

ekraft84

I have a "higher HP" SV and I don't think I'd ever run a 180 in the back.  Pushing 90+ HP works fine with the 160 rear.  Losing that turn-in ability is huge IMO.

Just my $.02 ..
Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

Nate R

lbk: e-mail bounced back?

Can you email me at motosliders@yahoo.com?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

lbk

Sorry Nate, that's my old email I need to update my profile. But I'll send you an email directly too. :D