News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Waving yellow... technical question on passing:

Started by ecumike, July 29, 2002, 04:18:59 PM

ecumike

So if the corner worker is waving a yellow flag, and we're not supposed to pass... where exactly (if there is such a thing) are we not supposed to pass... in eyesight of the flag?... directly when we get to the point of the track where the worker is?

Had an instance this weekend when I was setting up for a latebreaking pass in T1,  just as I was about to, I saw the T1 worker waving yellow, and backed off.  Wasn't sure if I was 'allowed' to pass right at the 'entrance' of the turn or where the 'no passing zone' started.

spyderchick

This is why the stationary/ waving technique works. You see the stationary, you know to be alert for something coming up, you see the waving, no passing until you are past the incident. There's supposed to be an imaginary line drawn from the flag, but sometimes the incident is a bit further up the track.
 Just to be safe (for the workers, downed riders and your finish status), make sure you are well and truly throught the incident before you attempt the pass again. Sometimes the waving comes up (with out a stationary at the previous corner) just before or as your are going through the turn, best advice, do what you think is safest in the situation. Better to get through it than to add to it.  
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

FoodCrewMARRC

I agree with Spyder...

It's from whereever the flag station is till you are past the incident...Sometimes a waving yellow is going to come out after you pass the flag station. We know that the racers are looking past the current turn to the next turn which is why we try and get the flags up as rapidly as possible.  

What we are more concerned about is passing under a red flag.  That is a more serious situation which , as you know, requires immediate attention from the riders.

But..as always..safety first..