News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Southeast Banquet 2004

Started by StuartV666, November 12, 2003, 10:00:32 AM

StuartV666

Will there be one? When? Where?

TiffineyIngram

You stole my title!!!  There will be a Southeast banquet, it will be held in conjunction with the first race at VIR.

StuartV666

I don't understand. The MA banquet is being held on Jan. 31st - i.e. NOT at the first race at VIR.

If the SE and MA banquets are not a combined event (a concept I'm in favor of - NOT combining them, that is), then why would the SE banquet not be at or near a SE track (assuming it's held in conjunction with a race weekend)?

If people who don't normally go to the races wanted to attend, VIR is waay too dang far from the SE to be holding the banquet. Personally, if I don't find some real sponsorship soon, I probably won't even go to VIR myself next season. 10 hours each way is a looong drive. For me, it adds 2 whole extra days off from work to my race weekend.

- Stu

TiffineyIngram

The Southeast and Mid Atlantic banquets are being held seperately because the majority of riders requested we do it that way and we agreed.  VIR is a Southeast region track--the first race is always the kick-off for the Southeast and Mid Atlantic regions.  I understand that some people can't go to both--but I can't please everyone all the time.  I did what I think is best for both regions, and I hope everyone that attends has a wonderful time.

GAMEDIC

Why not do it in Savannah that would be a great place for all us SE folks..and another thing i wanted to ask... why do we have to wait till the next season to get our recognition why can't we have it a little closer to the weekend at Daytona ..maybe a couple weeks after?

StuartV666

Like I said, I too am in favor of having separate banquets for MA and SE. So, great, SE is having it's own banquet.

But, VIR is not a SE region track. It's a Mid-Atlantic region track. I know that there are MA region-only races there, and combined MA and SE region races there, but never any SE-only at VIR. That seems to be a pretty clear indication to me that it's a Mid-Atlantic track.

What Greg said. Why not Roebling? Savannah's a nice place to visit, if you decide to have it not be part of a race weekend. It's much more central to the Southeast region (there's a bunch of SE region racers who live in Florida, you know). And the first race there is a lot sooner than the first race at VIR, which would give everybody their trophies sooner, which would be nice. Waiting until the 3RD race of the next season to get awards for the previous season seems like a bit of a stretch.

Is there ANYbody reading this that has the SE region as their home region who would prefer the banquet be at VIR? If so, please speak up.

- Stu

StuartV666

ps. Why not have it separate from a race weekend (like you're doing for the MA region) and have it in Atlanta? Just another thought.

Drew464

VIR is a beautiful track, and my favorite to ride on.  That being said, it is also 11 hours away from me.  I would really like to see the banquet held at a more centralized location also.  Heck, why not have it at Daytona, that's only a 40 minute drive for me. ;D.....just kidding

Truly, I would vote for Savannah.  That seems to be in the center of the Southeast region.

just my $.02

james-redsv

Have the SE banquet in Savannah during a race weekend. What if you dont make the banquet, will CCS mail you your trophies?

TiffineyIngram

First: the schedule is not out...how does anyone know when the first race will be (other than CCS)?

We used to hold a seperate banquet for each region.  However, in years past, the attendance was dropped due to various reasons.  The attendance in the Southeast was the smallest of all regions, so it isn't a sound decision to keep going in that direction.  VIR has beautiful facilities, and they are more than gracious when we arrange banquets there.  I understand what you're saying, and I would love to make it so, but without a guaranteed attendance number (which is next to impossible to achieve), I just can't justify it.  If you can get together 100+ guys who will definitely drive to Savannah and be willing to pay $30 per person, I will do my best to try to work it out.

If you can't make it to a banquet, I will be more than happy to Fed Ex your awards to you.

GAMEDIC

Having it in Atlanta sounds like a great idea can't get much more central in the SE region than that

r6_philly

why does CCS needs $3000 gate fee to hold a banquet?

Stu why don't you just have them fedex you all the trouphies and you hold a banquest at your house or a public location? Maybe all 3 people will show up and have a good time   ::)

james-redsv

It makes sense to have it during a race weekend at Savannah. Everyone is already there and they wont have to make a special trip to Alanta or someother place. You will get max attendence during a race weekend as well. As soon as the dates are known it wont be hard at all to plan the thing, jezz. :-*

TiffineyIngram

I'm confused--some of you are saying "why so far into 2004", and then others are asking to push it back to the first Roebling event.  Two very different opinions.  And Dafan, it's not a "gate fee".

GAMEDIC

Did anyone ever think that maybe this year VIR is going to be the 1st race this year???  ;D

bfkidd

QuoteDid anyone ever think that maybe this year VIR is going to be the 1st race this year???  ;D

Please NO!!! Beginning of April is pushing it. Anything earlier and you can count on 40 degrees and raining. Just ask WERA how they did last March.

SE#39

We used to have the SE banquet at Race Director Tom Richardson's Carey Hilliards in Savannah. Some years it was a stand alone event and sometimes it was held during the Jan/Feb 1st race of the year.

These banquets were rarely well attended by the previous year's winners -- after the racers figured out that they were paying $15 to $30 to eat a $8 entree at a resturant.

The SE awards should be presented during the Feb Daytona event. No need for an overpriced banquet -- just hold a meeting friday pm at the tech shed.

TiffineyIngram

Personally, I think banquets should be a nice sit down dinner affair--not a meeting at the tech shed.  I see what you're saying, but I think working hard all year should be recognized in an equally professional setting.

GAMEDIC

QuotePlease NO!!! Beginning of April is pushing it. Anything earlier and you can count on 40 degrees and raining. Just ask WERA how they did last March.
Maybe it is going to be in April... and maybe we will not have suck a big break between the last race and the ROC... maybe the ROC will be at Barber (i wish) i guess we will know the answer to this all in a few weeks  ;D

quicktoy

Stu..VIR is where southeast banquet was held last year and VIR is also a southeast track..Last VIR race in september was supposed to be a southeast only race..Only reason Mid Atlantic was there was cause one of their races was cancelled
My return as an Amateur

GAMEDIC

QuoteStu..VIR is where southeast banquet was held last year and VIR is also a southeast track..Last VIR race in september was supposed to be a southeast only race..Only reason Mid Atlantic was there was cause one of their races was cancelled
Yeah but his point is the track is sooo far from the SE.... most of us are in Ga, FL, SC  for the most part

StuartV666

QuoteStu..VIR is where southeast banquet was held last year and VIR is also a southeast track..

Yeah, but last year the banquet was a combined SE and MA deal. In that case, I can see having it at VIR 'cause that IS central when you're talking about SE and MA regions. But it is FAR from central when you're only talking about the SE region.

Kevin told me at Daytona that there's only going to be two rounds this season at Roebling. So maybe there is no early round there this year. I hope that doesn't mean no SE races except for Daytona until April. If there's an SE race before VIR, whether it's at Roebling, Jennings, Barber, Road Atlanta, TGPR or CMP, I'd vote for the banquet to be there over VIR.

If VIR is the first SE round (besides Daytona) then we got other problems. It's either going to be not until April :-(. Or it's going to be DANG cold! :-(

- Stu

GAMEDIC

QuoteYeah, but last year the banquet was a combined SE and MA deal. In that case, I can see having it at VIR 'cause that IS central when you're talking about SE and MA regions. But it is FAR from central when you're only talking about the SE region.

Kevin told me at Daytona that there's only going to be two rounds this season at Roebling. So maybe there is no early round there this year. I hope that doesn't mean no SE races except for Daytona until April. If there's an SE race before VIR, whether it's at Roebling, Jennings, Barber, Road Atlanta, TGPR or CMP, I'd vote for the banquet to be there over VIR.

If VIR is the first SE round (besides Daytona) then we got other problems. It's either going to be not until April :-(. Or it's going to be DANG cold! :-(

- Stu
I got a feeling it is going to be the first event other than Dayton and i bet it will be in april...hint hint ;D

TiffineyIngram

VIR is a Southeast track--we have Southeast only races there, and our Southeast crew runs it.  It has always been and always will be mainly a Southeast track.  There is nothing wrong with VIR in April--last year I left my HONEYMOON EARLY just to make sure I could be there for y'all's banquet in early April.  It was beautiful--perfect racing weather.  It was probably about 65 degrees and sunny.  I wouldn't hesitate sending Eric out there to race in April.  (Well, I wouldn't hesitate just sending him away.)
 ;D

quicktoy

<---daytona beach florida :P LOL
My return as an Amateur

funksouljon

QuoteStu why don't you just have them fedex you all the trouphies and you hold a banquest at your house or a public location? Maybe all 3 people will show up and have a good time   ::)

If it is at Stu's, I got dibs on the couch with Brutus...and Cathy. If not, then it would make more sense to have it at Roebling which is central to the SE.

However, if a schedule could be put up for the 2004 season, we could better judge when/where would be the best weekend. An icebowl Roebling weekend would be ideal, but..........will there ever be an Icebowl again?

StuartV666

QuoteIf it is at Stu's, I got dibs on the couch with Brutus...and Cathy.

You can share the couch with Brutus any time, Sport.  ;D