News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Which SV?

Started by Super_KC124, November 05, 2003, 02:06:03 PM

Super_KC124

Any opinions on which year of SV650 makes the best race bike? Anyone running a 2003? Thanks, KC :)

K3 Chris Onwiler

The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dawn

2003 - the orange one is pretty cool
2002 - silver
2001 - blue
2000 - Red (has to be   ;))
1999 - red again

Didn't they have a yellow one too at one time?

Dawn   :)

Super_KC124

What a bunch of smarta$$es. I do like the yellow ones, though. ;D

badmonkey

03 , fuel injection and about 5 more hp than carb model.
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

Dawn

QuoteWhat a bunch of smarta$$es. I do like the yellow ones, though. ;D

Here's the one just for you....

;D

stumpy

Whats an SV.... ???

:-*StUmPy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Nate R

Dude, the 2003 is the way to go if you're gonna get an SV. More rigid swingarm, getting almost 80 HP pretty easily, FI.

Especially if you plan on racing one for a couple years. (There will be more 03s+ around then)

A stock 03 was giving Ed Key's SV (which weighs 310 lbs and makes HP in the low 70s) a run for his money down the straight at gateway, from what i heard.

They're a LOT faster from what I've been hearing, and if you dont mind building a racebike, I'd say go with an 03. MIght as well if you can swing the $.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Marshall

Badmonkey,

Are you back in the big brown truck yet?

Greg_Williams

Hi Kevin,

I just got back from Road Atlanta and during the four hour we found that NO SV's were pulling away from us on the back straight and there were a number of 2003's entered.  That's not to say that I wasn't getting passed in turn 12!  I am running a mildly modified motor.  If you're interested in one let me know.  I bought a TLR at the GNF and I'm debating racing two bikes next season but at least the TLR will make it easier to get in front of you at MAM!  I sent word to Jim Swan to watch out for me next year in Formula 40!

Greg Williams  
Greg Williams

Cafe Racer Inc.
816-221-0711

www.caferacerinc.com

Nate R

Kevin: I'm assuming you're talking about a bike in SS legal trim. If not, get a built 99-02.  :D
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Super_KC124

QuoteKevin: I'm assuming you're talking about a bike in SS legal trim. If not, get a built 99-02.  :D

SS yes. Now go to bed! ;D

superbikemike6

I would recommend looking on the back page of the november 2003 Road Racing World. You will find that the 2003 SV makes 74.5hp with a aftermarket pipe. Stock it makes 70.3hp. I think the 99-02 made around 68hp. Comments

superbikemike6

QuoteDude, the 2003 is the way to go if you're gonna get an SV. More rigid swingarm, getting almost 80 HP pretty easily, FI.

Especially if you plan on racing one for a couple years. (There will be more 03s+ around then)

A stock 03 was giving Ed Key's SV (which weighs 310 lbs and makes HP in the low 70s) a run for his money down the straight at gateway, from what i heard.

They're a LOT faster from what I've been hearing, and if you dont mind building a racebike, I'd say go with an 03. MIght as well if you can swing the $.
Alright, I have to comment I chased Ed Key around this track and pulled him down the front straight away at Gateway on a 99 stock engine SV. Ed runs as fast as he needs to. The last corner at Gateway is one of the easiest places to out drive Ed except for the last lap of the race. Ed is the best racer I have ever chased. I dont care what year SV your on you will not beat him down the front straight on the last lap. I know from experience.

Protein Filled

Keeping up with Ed Key and beating Ed Key are WAY different things...

;)
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Protein Filled

Oh, and the 2003 handles better and makes more power than the 199-2002 models.

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Nate R

Have you ridden it? Does it in fact handle better? Just curious. Or is that just what you've heard?

My SV is leaving me today.  :'( So, I'm dreaming of a new gen SV already.  ;D
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

james-redsv

The 03 doesnt handle any better, same crap forks and rear shock. I took one down the street at my local dealer when they first came in. The only thing Suzuki did was add an oil cooler, FI and new frame. They did nothing else to the motor or suspension. Its debatable whether the FI gave it 5 more ponies, more like 2-3, if that. ;)

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteHave you ridden it? Does it in fact handle better? Just curious. Or is that just what you've heard?

My SV is leaving me today.  :'( So, I'm dreaming of a new gen SV already.  ;D
Glad you were able to sell it so quick, but sorry you're bikeless.  Was it the track day people that I sent your way?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Nate R

James: The 03 also has different cams that are good for at least 3 HP, and a couple other minor motor changes. Redline is up to 11K also. All the dynos I've seen comparing a 99-02 to an 03 indicate a 4-6 HP Increase when stock.

There were other minor changes too: Bigger axles, different radiator, etc.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0308_sv650_dyno/     for example.

I know of 03 SVs with a pipe and PC making around 80 HP.

I was speaking about an 03 in race Suspension. Does it handle better with suspension? Of course it's the same crap on the street, but Im talking about a race prepped 99-02 compared to an 03. The SV is relatively inexpensive, and the $ has to be saved somewhere.

Didn't hear from them at all, K3 :-( ScubaSteve on this board will be buying it as a trackbike for his G/F.

I will be racing the CB750 next year, and in 05 probably buying a brand new SV.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Protein Filled

The geometry of the frame is different as well as the swingarm. Going through turn one at BIR wide open on an older SV is a little shaky. On the new SV's, they are planted all the way through. They do handle better on the track at least.

Rode one and also have heard it from other friends who have. I am not sure if you could feel it from a street ride, but the bike is the 03 that Steve Atlas rode at the GNF. It has the front end redone by traxxion and a Penske shock.

Protein Filled

Oh, and on that same bike, we took it stock to the dyno and ran it, then we bolted on an M4 pipe and without adjusting the FI, it got 4 more ponies, up to 74.3, and the bike was way rich.

badmonkey

I've built both types and dynoed both types and there is only 5hp diff between first gen and second. You are not going to get anything near 80hp out of a 03 with just a pipe. stock is 68-70 and with a full system you may get 72-73 hp. Should be back in the brown truck next week. Do you know anybody looking for a built sv?

ninelives59

the 2003 is the way to go.I have one which has all the normal mods and it has 79 hp on mr1 and 82 on mr9. it makes the old bike look like a has been..look on the classified page and you will find one for sale  
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S

james-redsv

Quotethe 2003 is the way to go.I have one which has all the normal mods and it has 79 hp on mr1 and 82 on mr9. it makes the old bike look like a has been..look on the classified page and you will find one for sale  
Doubtful, but that gas aint legal anyway. :P

badmonkey

yeah mine makes 140 on nitro meth, but only on a full moon and when the barometric pressure is below 28in.

Nate R

Look at the dyno I posted. Same dyno showed 72 HP ALL stock compared to 68 for the 99-02. My stock 01 made about 67 on 2 different dynos, so that sounds pretty close to what they posted.

Also: http://motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/03_Mini_Nakeds/
Their 03 made 73 HP.

If you are seeing 68-70 on an 03 stock, sounds like your dyno is a bit pessimistic compared to the others I've seen. If you gain 5 after a remap and pipe on an 03 that's already 77.

Sounds to me like the 03 is a better package.

I will say this, from the dynos, it looks like the 03 rev limiter is the same, so raising the redline on the tach is  no real difference. The stock tach on teh older SV would be over 11 before the limiter kicked in, but in reality that was only 10.5K as well.

Huey130 on teh WERA board has talked about the 03 he did, and with his remapping, it was making 83 HP.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

badmonkey

Talking about hp is like talking about the size of a mans penis, Their owners tend to exaggerate. ;D ;D
And the redline on the 03's is actually 10,250 not 11k. Look at all the dyno runs . Tach may say higher but it kicks in lower then 02  and earlier models.

Nate R

Look again, on both dyno's the 03 comes in at 10,500.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

KBOlsen

Another caveat to the dyno "thingie"

The results are only as good as the operator. 8)
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

badmonkey

why do I need to look, I work on them . I don't base my life off what a website claims. Do you need the link to m4 for an example?

Nate R

Whatever. I guess since you work on them you don't make mistakes.

I worked on SVs, too. Does that make me right?  ::)

You made claims with no proof. At least I had a base to my claims. If I'm wrong on one or all, so be it.

And "Base my life to what a website claims?" WTF do you mean by that? I believe 2 dyno charts that agree with my real world experiences?

I'm done with this crap.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Super_KC124

Play nice or I'll bring back the White or Yellow thread. >:(

Nate R

Uh oh! That IS a threat, Kev!  ;)

Looking at it again, I think I'm wrong about the redline. I was looking where the HP chart crossed at the BOTTOM, not where it started to drop.

So be it.

More important than power though, is handling. And from what I've heard, and it sounds like Numbskullz113 experience agrees, the 03 handles better.

So, which are you leaning towards, Kevin?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

badmonkey

B-MAC

If I may, those of you that doubt what MR Badmonkey is saying, let me fill you in on what you have been missing. This guy builds AWESOME, BAD ASS SV MOTORS. At the beginning of the year he built me a motor that was amazing to say the least and his own SV is so incredible that you have to see it to beleive it, like 320 wet and 90hp (reliable hp).  Enough blowing smoke up his ass :P  But, dynos in there nature will read different from another no matter what you do. Some read high, some low. It also depends on air temp, humidity and all sorts of other crap

BTW - I got another motor for you bud. ;D

badmonkey

Gixxer124

That's more like it. ;D

I'm going to keep my eye out for a 03. If one doesn't come around soon, I'll just go with whats available.

Nate R

Quotehis own SV is so incredible that you have to see it to beleive it, like 320 wet and 90hp (reliable hp).

Not bad at all! I've seen several 90+ HP reliable SVs, and only a couple under 330. I don't have the time/cash to make all my own Ti and Al parts for my next SV, so I'm aiming for  under 350 with a race load of fuel.

Like 320 wet?

If you dont mind badmonkey, what's teh actual wet weight and with how much fuel?

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

badmonkey

335 with full tank
 ;D

Gixxer124

I kind of like the nitro idea. It would be a good way the find all the weak points of my motor. :o

B-MAC

Well KC, I just happen to have a 2003 SV in street trim that I need to unload, stock (Ray hasn't gotten it yet :P) I have $4200 in it so that is what it is for sale at. Has some rash on the can and the rear brake lever is gone but that stuff needs to be replaced for racin' anyway. Oh yeah, and a dent in the tank. Let me know, Brian

BlueRidgePerformance

QuoteKeeping up with Ed Key and beating Ed Key are WAY different things...

;)
And how much $$$ are in his bikes?
Kawasaki 650R Endurance Team Owner
2009 Sponsors: Cheetah Race Bodies,,Pitbull,Trackside Racers Supply,Traxxion Dynamics,Vesrah,Woodcraft

BlueRidgePerformance

QuoteAny opinions on which year of SV650 makes the best race bike? Anyone running a 2003? Thanks, KC :)
Kevin, it's Gary formerly CCS#817 F3
I've been running SV's for 2 years now.The 03 has much more potential, but a built 02 will smoke it.They need work to improve the bottom end.The top end is great.There are tons of pre 03s for sale cheap.If you want a new 03, I can get you a deal on one.
Kawasaki 650R Endurance Team Owner
2009 Sponsors: Cheetah Race Bodies,,Pitbull,Trackside Racers Supply,Traxxion Dynamics,Vesrah,Woodcraft

clutch

I just picked up an 03.  I need some parts though. Front wheel with axle and lower triple. Any other race parts for the 03 are appreciated as well.  Email me off list at blade900@comcast.net  thanks a lot.