News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

If WERA is so popular...

Started by bfkidd, July 24, 2002, 11:23:59 AM

Zeb_Proctor

QuoteHey guys...

Go back to the WERA board.  With the language that is used, I cannot read it at work.  (The whole internet police thing).  Besides the last few posts were not very entertaining.  ::)
Funny, you don't know what you are talking about, there is no way to "police" text", it is embedded in the html code and is only known with a bunch of 1's and 0's over your network line........ sit down and break out the pop-corn....

CCS424

Sweatshops, special olympics, insane paperboys and shit, this is fantastic!
CCS 424
WERA 443

EX#996

Zeb:

I work in a place where phone calls are recorded along with the screens that are displayed on my computer.  You can see everything when the call is reviewed.

Funny....  Who doesn't know what they are talking about now?   :o

If you want to talk racing, fine, your more than welcome.  If not, take your banter somewhere else.

Dawn   :P
Paul and Dawn Buxton

StuartV666

QuoteFunny, you don't know what you are talking about, there is no way to "police" text", it is embedded in the html code and is only known with a bunch of 1's and 0's over your network line........ sit down and break out the pop-corn....

Ha ha haaa!! This is great! You might as well have just said "you don't know what you're talking about, the sky is green and the Earth is flat."

For anybody who might have actually believed this statement, let me explain a little about how some things actually work so you don't go away thinking you're safe when you're not.

When you use a HTTP connection (i.e. your browser's address bar starts with HTTP://something-or-other), all the HTML and embedded text that is sent to and from your browser is sent as "plain text". That means it is not encrypted at all. The alternative is to use HTTPS, which tells your browser to use SSL encryption to talk to the website you are connecting to. Some websites support HTTPS/SSL and some don't.

Anyway, if you are using HTTP, then anybody that is monitoring your network can capture the packets that are being sent back and forth from your machine, recognize them as HTML with embedded text and scan the text.

In other words, if somebody wanted to capture all your packets, they could have a browser on their computer display exactly the same thing the browser on your computer is displaying. Or, of course, they could have a program that simply monitors what goes in and out of your computer and sift through it looking for "bad" words, and sending notifications to an Admin person whenever it finds one.

Thank goodness ole Zeb isn't the Network Admin or Network Security person at my company! I guess I shouldn't be surprised coming from the person who doesn't know the definition of the word "we" includes the speaker (or typer) himself.

- Stu

r6_philly

QuoteFunny, you don't know what you are talking about, there is no way to "police" text", it is embedded in the html code and is only known with a bunch of 1's and 0's over your network line........ sit down and break out the pop-corn....

Zeb,

I can write a simple program that search through any incoming data stream through my network connection and filter out any combination of letters/characters, or any combination that closely resembles it.

yes data come through 1's and 0's, but each character in the set is saved in a byte that has its own value, so we will be filtering a specific set of 1's and 0's. HTML and all other un-encrypted streams are sent as text so very easy to filter. Many jobs do it.

As for WERA board. I started going there before I started racing. I still never done one WERA weekend, but I get most of the information I need pertained to road racing from over there. The CCS board is growing, and I visit both places everyday, I just think it is great to have 2 resources instead of one.

Have WERA and CCS at the same time in the same country is what this great country is about, individual choices. Each is different from another, no fair comparison can be made, because we draw our conclusions from personal data rather than a overall, unbiased, objective view.

Lets all agree on the fact that it is great for our sport that TWO seperate org's can co-exist and race at the same race tracks. That means our sport is live and well and growing.

I will race WERA when I get the chance, and I believe, however different, it would be a rewarding experience, and I would love it nonetheless, because I will be racing my bike, something I love to do.

THE_D.O.C.

yeah, the world is full of wanna be hackers looking for work.  ::)

Eric_L

QuoteZeb:
If you want to talk racing, fine, your more than welcome.  If not, take your banter somewhere else.
Dawn   :P

Some of us at the WERA board were kinda hoping you'd keep Zeb overe HERE.  ;D

THE_D.O.C.

that shit was funny as hell!!

bfkidd

Geez you go away racing for one weekend and everything just goes to shit! ;D

I LOVE THAT STORY!

Zeb_Proctor

Oh, no doubt that you CAN screen everyone's text with a browser, but do you know how much computing power it would take to screen EVERYONE's packets???  Funny, I have a formula right here in front of me that's telling me that computing power for 1,000 is astronomical, 1 person maybe, 10 people, likely, 1,000+ don't even try....... never said it COULDN'T be done, anything CAN be done, the question is ARE they doing it, doubt it..... now if you want to start trading credentials, then we will, but when it comes to security, don't even try....

Zeb_Proctor

QuoteSome of us at the WERA board were kinda hoping you'd keep Zeb overe HERE.  ;D
this coming from a guy who molests hamsters in his free time??? ;D

r6_philly

QuoteOh, no doubt that you CAN screen everyone's text with a browser, but do you know how much computing power it would take to screen EVERYONE's packets???  Funny, I have a formula right here in front of me that's telling me that computing power for 1,000 is astronomical, 1 person maybe, 10 people, likely, 1,000+ don't even try....... never said it COULDN'T be done, anything CAN be done, the question is ARE they doing it, doubt it..... now if you want to start trading credentials, then we will, but when it comes to security, don't even try....

An average HTML page sized at 10k (text) loaded over 1 second. Times that by 1000 is 10,000k, which is 10MB's which is about the upward limit of a usual network connection.

You mean to tell me that your server can't filter though 10mb of data every second at the MOST? It is not astronomical... and most pages can be delayed more than 5 seconds without complain, so filtering is doable, and many times, done. It is not THAT unfeasible. IF we are talking about a company with 50 employees, it is VERY doable. IF we are talking about 1000 employees, then they would have more HW to filter.