News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Curiosity?

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, October 25, 2003, 07:33:07 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

Just out of curiosity I was wondering what the determining factors are as to why people race with CCS or other organizations. I see many people complain about distance, safety of certain tracks, lack of time or money, etc. as being reasons for not racing the entire CCS schedule for at least 1 region. On the other hand I see people that seem to not be able to race enough, go to certain tracks no matter what, or race every time they are able to scrape together enough money to do so. Numerous people appear to race with other organizations also and I was wondering if this was for variety of tracks, location of events, or ?

I personally have only raced with CCS and follow the entire schedule for the MW, GL, & GP Regions. I like the variety of going to different tracks and racing fairly often, plus all the tracks used by CCS this season (except for 2 events) are within 6 hours of where I live. I have considered additionally racing some random events with other organizations at tracks that I enjoy such as Putnam and Brainerd, but would probably only race 1 CCS region for the season if I did those other tracks too.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

MZGirl

I race with two very different orgs...CCS and ASMA.  This was my first full season of racing.  The goal this year was to get as much experience as possible.  I will have raced all ASMA races, most CCS SW/Pac races (missed 2 or 3 I think), and went to the CCS ROC.  For the year, this was about 2 race weekends per month.

Looking back, racing with both orgs really improved my riding.  ASMA is focused at one track, Arroyo Seco in NM.  It's a tight knit group, and you're much more part of a racer family there.  Most of the time I like just seeing all of my friends there.  Much more of a laid back atmosphere there too.  It's slowly growing, and with that will get better as more people find out about it.  The class structure wasn't the greatest for my MZ.  I was always racing more powerful bikes like SV's and 600's (they don't have a singles class).  But it's still my favorite group.

CCS gave me a chance to see other tracks.  My parents were able to come to the Phoenix races, as they were only a 1.5 hour drive away.  It was much more of a competitive atmosphere, which was good because it really pushed me to do better.  I could see it when I would go back to Arroyo.  We traveled to several far away tracks (Buttonwillow, Vegas, Daytona) so I got good experience on a variety of tracks, which helped my improvement.  The class structure was a bit better for my MZ, with Super Singles and LW Sportsman.  It was a different crowd to race with, and it expanded my base of friends at the track.

Now, AZ has it's own winter race series.  Racing with 2 orgs this year was a lot, and I'm pooped.  We need a break.  But after that I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.  I've now got a TZ 250 for Arroyo (and a few CCS classes), and the MZ will always be around.  My husband is getting into Supermotard racing, and I've got a vintage bike that I did a few races on this year, and will most likely keep racing next year.

We had a great year, and I think next year with both orgs is gonna be a blast.  We may even throw in a few AHRMA races too.  In the end, I'm glad I raced with both.  Gaining that much experience in 1 season was great.  I'm glad I have it, as CCS will probably make me go white next year.   ::)

Super Dave

I can never seem to vote....

I've raced in local CCS regions because I offered support to my VRS riders and I am a Power Mist Racing Fuel distributor.  I do like to try to follow some money around.  Sportbike was a good help this year with that.  I had three classes that I could enter that I could get some kind of payback with.

Next year?  

I think the CCS schedule will be reduced in the MW/GL/GP regions.  Too many races and some were on top of each other.  I think we'll have more races at MAM and Topeka.  Might really hurt CCS entries as that's still a long way for the guys from Chicago, Milwaukess, Madison, & Rockford areas to go.  Putnam Park and Gingerman are about half the distance.  

Thinking about doing FUSA myself.
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

I've done the complete season with CCS GL, GP and MW regions for the past two years.  
The first three years that I raced it was a part-time thing.  I really had a lot of fun, because I was only doing it for fun.  Then last year I decided to get serious.  I built a really competitive bike, did 17 weekends and the ROC.  I ended up with 6 amateur championships and a fifth at the ROC.  This year I did the full season again as an expert.  I got two championships, but had to skip Daytona because I was out of money.
  Racing has become a driving obsession for me.  The relentless pursiut of championships is starting to seem like some kind of military death march.  It definitly isn't fun anymore.  Dave Rosno always stresses that racing should be fun, because it is a volunteer activity.  Why would you do it if it wasn't fun?  
I love racing, but it's taken over my life.  Time for a change.  No more championship hunting.  Next year, I think I'll be easing back and just doing the Blackhawk and Gingerman races.  It's time for me to get back to having fun!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

r6_philly

Racing is still fun for me, but it has taken strange tolls on personal and professional relationships...

I feel that the regional schedule has gotten out of hand, and to try to follow the serie for a regional championship seems like more chore than fun. So I have decided to run FUSA next year. I will still go to regional races, when and if I feel like, and just to have fun. Not like we ever have to pre-reg as an expert anyway :D

So it seem like I will be pursuing higher goals next year, yet doing it more lay back like... it is going to be a fun year. new bike, new classes, new competition, new challenges. I am real excited already!

So Dave, I may see you on the grid next year  ;)

Super Dave

QuoteThe relentless pursiut of championships is starting to seem like some kind of military death march.  It definitly isn't fun anymore.  Dave Rosno always stresses that racing should be fun, because it is a volunteer activity.  Why would you do it if it wasn't fun?

Well, yeah,  You've got to even make it fun when it's not.  I'm sure that Mladin is still having fun.  Even if you're there just to spoil someone's day, it can be fun...LOL.

Dafan, bring it on....
 ;D
Super Dave

Litespeed

I'm going to race motocross full-time since the tracks are all reasonably close (or at least in the same state) and the costs are much less with equal rewards.  I will keep the road racing stuff and do an occasional track day and possilby race out in New Mexico but not likely to get another CCS license.  Racing individual events doesn't give as much satisfaction as chasing a championship and with the fact the schedule isn't really set completely until mid season and the rediculous distance required to get to races within your region CCS just isn't for me.

PJ

This year I chased an F-USA National Championship in the GT Lights Team Challenge class (and won it with my teammate Dave Swarts). Didn't plan to, it just sort of popped up as a possibility after good finishes at Daytona and Mid-America. I also did all the CCS regionals that I could. Missed a few due to work and personal conflicts, but still got three regional championships.

Usually I try to do the CRA 5-hour endurance every year. That's a really fun event. But I missed it this year to chase points at Gateway. Next year, I'm doing the 5-hour no matter what. It's a gas, BIR is a cool track and the CRA folks are great.

I really enjoy endurance racing. It's fun. You get more track time. There are pit stops and some race strategy involved.

I want to do more endurance racing next year.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

r6_philly

TC is fun. We got our feet wet at VIR and Summit. We are planning on following the whole series next year. We will be entering at least 1 machine, if not two, while we will race the FUSA sprints on Sunday. IT still depends on the schedule of TC (national or regional based) but we are going to do it.

EM JAY

Only raced Blackhawk and Road America, was at Gingerman in the rain, not racing, trying not to fall down really.....

I am planning on doing more tracks upcoming year no matter the distance....hoping some guys I know with trailers will let me and my crap tag along. ;D ;D ;D
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

Mark Bernard

Quote  Only raced Blackhawk and Road America, was at Gingerman in the rain, not racing, trying not to fall down really.....

I am planning on doing more tracks upcoming year no matter the distance....hoping some guys I know with trailers will let me and my crap tag along. ;D ;D ;D
I plan on doing a full season next year in the Mid West regon. There are some tracks I haven't been to yet but the plan is to do them all, do the best I can, hope for the best and expect the worse. I'm not quite sure yet who will be racing on my team next season or what tracks they plan on doing. But if I have room, your more than welcome to come along. But like I said... I'm not sure who's doing what at this point. (food for thought)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Mark Bernard

QuoteThis year I chased an F-USA National Championship in the GT Lights Team Challenge class (and won it with my teammate Dave Swarts). Didn't plan to, it just sort of popped up as a possibility after good finishes at Daytona and Mid-America. I also did all the CCS regionals that I could. Missed a few due to work and personal conflicts, but still got three regional championships.

Usually I try to do the CRA 5-hour endurance every year. That's a really fun event. But I missed it this year to chase points at Gateway. Next year, I'm doing the 5-hour no matter what. It's a gas, BIR is a cool track and the CRA folks are great.

I really enjoy endurance racing. It's fun. You get more track time. There are pit stops and some race strategy involved.

I want to do more endurance racing next year.
If i get faster... can I be your team mate? :o ;D ;)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

KBOlsen

Endurance racing would be a great experience, and from what everyone has told me, is a lot of fun.  It's a "would be nice" on my 2004 list.

MJ, you're more than welcome to tag along with us next year... if everything goes as planned, we'll be doing the full schedule for (pick one) MW/GL/GP.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

EM JAY

Ha ha, I highjacked your post Mike!! ;D

Mark & Kim thanks!  I will for sure be in touch!   8)
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

Dawn

We ran the full schedule this year.  Next year only BHF, RA and one other track possibly.

Dawn  

PJ

QuoteIf i get faster... can I be your team mate?

Mark,

What do you mean IF you get faster...

You WILL get faster! And, yes, we should do a Kegel's endurance team sometime. Maybe for the 5-hour at Brainerd next year?
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Mark Bernard

QuoteMark,

What do you mean IF you get faster...

You WILL get faster! And, yes, we should do a Kegel's endurance team sometime. Maybe for the 5-hour at Brainerd next year?
LOL.. I'm definatly getting faster!  ;D What an awsome season! Hmmmmm... A Kegel endurance team huh?  5-hour at Brainard? Oh man... I would absolutley love that!! We need to talk more about this one!  :D I am totaly up for the challange!! I have to blast to work now but lets talk more about this.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteHa ha, I highjacked your post Mike!! ;D

PUT YOUR HANDS UP AND SLOWLY STEP AWAY FROM THE POST!  ;D

Well of course your welcome to tag along with me, I will probably have room. ;) Plus you now know getting there is half the adventure with me! LOL  :D Also my freind Jeff that showed up at Daytona may go along to a couple events! Remember his luck! LMAO

As of right now I plan on running everything CCS throws out there for the MW/GL/GP regions, sure hope they have good variety next season!  :)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Super Dave

Rumors, rumors...

I've heard that there will be no RA and no Gateway for 2004 in CCS.  Rumors, mind you, but who knows.

Not sure what I'm doing next year.  Got this FUSA idea in my head.  Looking for some cash.  Might have a different teaching program next year.  Waiting for the offer, etc. Would still like to do some teaching at the SRD things at Blackhawk in addition to racing at Blackhawk.  Schedule info doesn't usaully get set up until the end of November or so and isn't released until Jan.

MJ, I think the proper term was that you "highsided" his post...  ;D
Super Dave

EM JAY

QuoteMJ, I think the proper term was that you "highsided" his post...  ;D

;D Ha!  Hey Dave, your still going to be racin' with CCS next year right?  Not going to leave us all behind are ya?  :-/  I am definatley looking forward to your "new" program!!  
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

Super Dave

I'll definitely be at the Blackhawks when the schedule allows, but nothing is set in stone, one way or another.  I'm for hire at this point.

Never left anyone behind.  But sometimes you do something different.  Lived in Wisconsin since 1993, but I was never a regular at Blackhawk until 1999.
Super Dave