Bike dies when in gear

Started by whatsthedeal321, October 22, 2003, 09:06:41 PM

whatsthedeal321

I'm having problme with my 90 fzr 400. we'll after I crashed it on turn one at louden. it dies when i put it in gear.. I"m 99.9% sure that its the kick stand switch, there's nothing where the kickstand is suppose to be,any one know where to locate the wires on the wiring harness...I cant find my shop manuel... :(
also how hard is it to check the valve clearance on these bikes, i'm not that mechanically inclined.. so any help from the bike guru's ::) would be very helpfull. thanx

Parvez......

r6_philly

as far as the kick stand switch goes: under the tank, here should be an empty connector that either had 1. wires shorted together or 2. terminals bridged together with some metal, solder or safety wire. You probably don't have too many empty connectors, this should be one with only 2 terminals.

whatsthedeal321

thanx I'll try that when i go home tomorrow morn...see if that  solves the problme...

parvez.... :)

whatsthedeal321

I took off the tannk.. located the kick stand swtich, and the wires were still connected togater, now I'm confused if the kick stand switch is still bypassed why is the bike stalling when I put it in gear; HELP  ??? before the crash at louden the bike ran fine when I crashed, the bike went down on its left side and just slid to to stop, didnt do flips or anything like that, any other reson why the bike would stall besides the kick stand switch; thanx for the help guys....

parvez...

Super Dave

Maybe something to do with the neutral switch?
Super Dave

whatsthedeal321

I checked the neutral swtich its nicely connected to the wiring harness, I bypassed the clutch swtich and its still doing the same thing, shuts off when i throw it in gear.. i'm all out of idea... :'( help help

thanx guys...

parvez

r6_philly

now its the hard part, you may have to check the wires themselves, and the connections in the wiring harness, and to the ignition. In another word, all the wiring.

My bike was shutting off occassionall when I am riding, come to find out one of the connectors to the main relay was loose, and I had to bypass it at the relay.

unforgivenracing

How about the fuel filter?   ??? :-/
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

whatsthedeal321

the fuel filter is connected, the bike runs fine when its in neutral. Any one know where's the actual neutral switch not the connector, I'm thinking that might be broken. thanx

parvez.

Super Dave

Might be under the sprocket cover, but I can't remember exactly on the FZR.
Super Dave

whatsthedeal321

I have tuesday off from work, i'm gonna spend all day try to sort it out, I hope I can find the problem soon, I'm starting to get frustrated....this sux... :(, any other suggestions from you guys... thanx

Parvez... ???

Super Dave

Well, if it's electrical, you've just got to go through it piece by piece.  Be careful and don't over look something obvious.

You're dealing with a race bike that is really "old" by reasonable standards.  Easiest thing to do...SV.  I know it's not easy.  
Super Dave