News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

what do you guys think of Pirelli Supercorsas?

Started by alexey, July 19, 2002, 10:59:42 AM

alexey

So I'm a middle-of-the-pack amature.  I have been using Dunlop D207 GP's on my F3 (middleweight superbike and GP).  I'm planning on switching to Pirelli Supercorsa tires.  I'd love to hear from someone who's made that transition and how they thought the following was affected:
* ride height adjustments to compensate for profile difference (especially front)
* turn-in (I love how D207's "fall" in to the corner)
* wear (I've heard the front wears really good on Pirellis
* how quickly do they warm up?  I'm comfortable pushing Dunlops within 2-3 turns on each side.

TreyBone

i have ran both tires and i really can't tell a difference between the dunlops and pirelli's. I am currently running the pirelli's because they are cheaper than the dunlops. The guys at dunlop sort of rubbed me the wrong way charging almost 55 bucks more for the same tire because i am on an SV running 160 rear instead of the normal 180 the 600 and 750 guys run.  Go figure that one out. Fifty five bucks more for a smaller tire. 180/120 is like 285 per set. The 160/120 is 340 a set. Both companies sell great products and both work very well. Also, the contingency for pirelli is better ( if you ever get the money). If you are running an F3, then you run the same size tire as I do and the pirelli would be cheaper for you as well. If you are running mid-pack than the contigency opinion wouldn't effect your decision much.  My .02

alexey

Thanks for the info.  I think for now I'm sticking with Dunlops.  When I was ordering tires for my previous race, Pirelli/Metzeler tires were nowhere to be found (backorder), so I went with Dunlops.  Slightly different set-up though -- 207GP 160 instead of 170 rear and a 208GP front.  Worked awesome.  Didn't have to change my set-up, front wore really well, turning in improved dramatically.  Also, the guy at the shop who also races a F3 said he didn't like the way Pirellis slide.  He said they pretty much let go, just like Michelins instead of a more gradual slide.

Chainsaw

I've always been a Dunlop fan and broke down this year and tried a set of Pirelli's.  I felt they took a bit longer for warm-up, gave more feedback, and seemed to wear about the same.  I like the neutral feeling when spinning up the 208 over the Pirelli and can still purchase them cheaper.  

Take Care
Chainsaw
www.moto-optix.com

schpreck

I used to be a Dunlop guy...untill I rode the Pirellis.  They last longer,  and grip better.  Also, when they start to come to the end of their life, the Pirellis give you a WARNING, while the Dunlops just start to IMMEDIATELY slide around.  Once you ride those Pirellis, everything else will just feel like a turd duct-taped to your wheel.  I'm serious.  They are great.

schpreck

BTW... they warm up really quickly.  I've even missed a sighting/practice lap and still been fine with them just coming off the warmers.  1-2 turns and you're good to go.  I'M SERIOUS!

schpreck

They also have the same contour as the Dunlops.  That's what gives you that "fall-in" turn feel.  You gotta try them.  I know that I've posted too many times here.  I do not work for Pirelli.  They just give me free tires!  But I wouldn't ride 'em if they weren't the JAM!

Try them out...You won't be sorry.

Decreasing_Dave

Hey Schpreck, how ca I get some of those free tires???

schpreck